Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the most natural beauty (within 60 miles)
Minneapolis 23 15.54%
Pittsburgh 78 52.70%
Atlanta 47 31.76%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 10:27 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times

Advertisements

The Atlanta metro area doesn't "do it" for me. However, I voted for it in this poll. The city is covered in a giant canopy, more or less, and the north Georgia Appalachians are beautiful.

Pittsburgh is a respectable second place, IMO, but post-winter vegetation doesn't grow back quite as soon as it does down south.

Minneapolis/St. Paul has a lot of green and lakes, but is basically Nebraska once you get 20-25 miles from the downtown areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 11:00 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
aries, not sure if you meant to post pictures along with that, but if so, it didn't post. So far, it looks like Pittsburgh is running away with the popular vote, though I think in their own ways, the other two can give it a run for it's money.

One word I wanted to hone in on with Atlanta: Subtropical: I know one of the advantages of this is a longer season of green on trees, but Atlanta does still have leaves fall I believe around Thanksgiving not to return until around Mid-March (there's beauty in that too though). My question is though, are there a number of places where more subtropical vegetation, including palm trees, are present in Atlanta (even if just stationed at a mall?) If present, and able to grow, that's a good point in Atlanta's favor, but it just seems to me like Atlanta is where southern looking vegetation becomes more northern looking (I actually prefer that) but would be interested to see if some southern vegetation was included in that also. I do know that the Atlanta Botanic Garden, and nearby Callaway Gardens, are Nationally Acclaimed in the Top 10 for their beauty.

Minneapolis doesn't have hills like Atlanta or Pittsburgh, but it almost certainly has better water features than those two, and also prairie landscape.

Pittsburgh has much more topography overall throughout the city, however, I don't believe that Pittsburgh has any hikes within 15-20 minutes of the city like monadnocks such as Kennesaw and Stone Mountains. Pittsburgh is probably a tad bit closer to hiking in Appalachian Mountain scenery (45 miles vs. 55 miles), however, the Appalachian Mountain scenery somewhat near Atlanta is perhaps a nudge better than that near Pittsburgh (not much separation though). I think the Three Rivers running through Pittsburgh may put it over the top though.
I did not post pictures.
(But others are more than welcome to do so to go along with my awesome, poetic description.)

Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Pittsburgh has the prettiest topography, but because most of the city is run down and dirty looking, it takes away from what it could have been. Atlanta and Minneapolis look better from the built environment.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:43 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I like Pittsburgh in this category, and Atlanta could make a case due to some nice rolling hills within 60 miles. Minneapolis, atleast from the freeways, seems flat on all sides to this observer, though the Mississippi valley is scenic.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:07 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Minneapolis isn't as flat as say Tampa, Houston, Indianapolis, perhaps even Denver (immediately around), but yes, it is relatively flat compared to these two. I will say this though. The section of the North Shore around Lutsen, MN, might be the most beautiful area not just in these three states, but arguably in the entire country. Unfortunately, it's almost 4 hrs. from MPLS.

http://lutsen.steelfusion.biz/media/...HK-650x300.jpg
http://tessahentgesphotography.weebl...58899_orig.jpg
https://philipschwarzphotography.fil...1-10-_0160.jpg

Old 12-30-2016, 05:57 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Minneapolis isn't as flat as say Tampa, Houston, Indianapolis, perhaps even Denver (immediately around), but yes, it is relatively flat compared to these two. I will say this though. The section of the North Shore around Lutsen, MN, might be the most beautiful area not just in these three states, but arguably in the entire country. Unfortunately, it's almost 4 hrs. from MPLS.

http://lutsen.steelfusion.biz/media/...HK-650x300.jpg
http://tessahentgesphotography.weebl...58899_orig.jpg
https://philipschwarzphotography.fil...1-10-_0160.jpg
More beautiful than anything in Pennsylvania, Georgia, and the entire country?

Old 12-30-2016, 06:08 AM

Perhaps not more beautiful. Something like that is so extremely subjective. But to me, four things contribute to a beautiful spot. Forestation/Greenery (not a must, but it's nice), water features (lakes, falls, rivers, etc.), isolation/seclusion, and interesting topographic/geologic variance. That area DEFINITELY has all those 4, and perhaps a better combination of them than can be found almost anywhere in the US, at least for my money.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I presume you are limiting yourself to larger cities - Though I didn't see that in your OP.

Because 60 miles from Atlanta will barely get you to Ellijay.

60 miles from Knoxville or Asheville will get you all or most of the GSMNP. Then you add a portion of the Cumberland plateau or the best of the Blue ridge parkway.

No comparison. Chattanooga is no slouch either, nor is Johnson City, TN. Roanoke beats out Atlanta, but if you want a booming business climate, let's look at Greenville SC.

Knoxville has House mountain, Asheville has Mt Pisgah, Chattanooga has Lookout and Signal mountains, Roanoke has the spine of the blue ridge in its back yard.
I agree with you that there are smaller cities that could beat these, but yeah this was just Big League as in having pro teams, first to hash it out, and second because it's hard to draw the line in size then, though I suppose another worthwhile one might be what is the most beautiful city with a pop. over 50K, all those you mentioned would be up there. Personally, while NYC lost the regional to Pittsburgh, I think it'd have the best shot of taking it out among major cities east of the Rockies, but it doesn't have an outdoorsy reputation which hurts it.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:22 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
The Atlanta metro area doesn't "do it" for me. However, I voted for it in this poll. The city is covered in a giant canopy, more or less, and the north Georgia Appalachians are beautiful.

Pittsburgh is a respectable second place, IMO, but post-winter vegetation doesn't grow back quite as soon as it does down south.

Minneapolis/St. Paul has a lot of green and lakes, but is basically Nebraska once you get 20-25 miles from the downtown areas.
Depends which way you go. Going east/southeast into Wisconsin is very beautiful due to the driftless.

This is Red Wing which is 30-40 minutes southeast of St. Paul.

http://www.bluewateryoga.com/_images/ChapAchenRW-2.jpg

Old 12-30-2016, 02:16 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Pittsburgh has the more appealing Topography, better scenery; but Atlanta is very Green and has a far more impressive tree canopy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City