Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2017, 05:04 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times

Advertisements

If you want a dynamic city that has a nice downtown with high crime in the south and westside: Chicago

If you want a suburban city with no real downtown: Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 05:15 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
If you want a dynamic city that has a nice downtown with high crime in the south and westside: Chicago

If you want a suburban city with no real downtown: Houston
Crime is also an issue in Houston

Old 01-04-2017, 06:15 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Because youre not getting the same thing.

If the average home in Chicago is smaller than the average home in Houston but they cost the same, the cost of houses in Chicago are higher. Simple economics.
You asked for NORTHSIDE here you go. Some decent prices .

Mentioned earlier in the thread is Chicago homes ALL have basements walkable in or they were elevated only part ways in the ground.

((You do realize the majority have finished basements too. ))Additional TV room and workout room to Laundry and bedrooms could be added. Especially the 50s stock homes on the southwest and northwest sides. But Also 1910 to 1940 bungalow belt. Craftsmen all brick homes.

Point is that adds living space that Slab homes in Houston can't. Maybe for distance you want not Suburban pricing? But I also see your argument on the Farther southwest side of Chicago poor. If you wish to be that way? No Norhern city can be compared to Houston Maybe just LA.
But even. Jefferson Park Neighborhood has some better deals. But more now over $300,000 today.

1959 mid-century modern. $279,00 full brick not just gendered. Well built and timeless. Smallish but no doubt a full basement and if not a garage in back? A bigger yard then.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/50.../home/13497095

Plenty to enlarge a kitchen alww.redfin.com
Another mid-century modern. Built 1950 3 bedrooms Smallish but a fully finished basement and 2-car garage with side deck parking

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/51.../home/13502618

Another $279,000 woodframe.30ft wide lot. Unfinshed basement 3 bedrooms. Newer garage. https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/49.../home/13495789

Different full brick style. 2 bedroom. Built Built 1949 larger lot with garage. $269,000 driveway on side no ally as rest.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/67.../home/13505678

Norridge and Harwood Heights are nearby. They are Suburbs completely surrounded by Chicago. Full of nice timless full brick lat 50s early 60s homes with side garages with driveways.

Many under $300,000 my deceased Geat-Aunt and Uncle sold there's for $500, 000 in the late 80s. Now many under. $300,000.

Example as my Uncles.My uncle's was built in 1964. This listing was built 1958. Finished basement with wet bar and garage with driveway.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Norridge/4.../home/13553381

But this 1956 one has garage driveway and finished basement with extra kitchen.
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Norridge/7.../home/13555244

There is a good big in these good bit in these w suburbs Chicago surrounds under $300,00. With L train to downtown and O'Hare and plenty of buses .

****** I LOVE Some of these Chicago Wallpapers for your computer you can get free Especially after the first couple.

https://wall.alphacoders.com/by_sub_....php?id=203388

Last edited by DavePa; 01-04-2017 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-04-2017, 10:46 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm thinking about this from a bartending perspective--has anyone done so in either or both?

OP, is your bartending in Miami generally on the higher end?

Chicago has a large number of high end establishments where the take home pay can be pretty great. It also has a lot of neighborhood bars because the density in some neighborhoods means there are enough locals who can just stop by for drinks and walk back home. Last call can also be really late at some establishments which might actually be undesirable for the bartender (but great for the drinkers).

I'm not sure what Houston's nightlife is like in comparison. I'm guessing in general bars close earlier which might be great for the OP.
LOL having upscale establishments does not change the fact that a barkeep's wages will not go far in Chicago. Do you think barkeeps in SF are living large. Or do they slum it with room mates or commute from Oakland?

A barkeep in Houston can afford to raise a family, Chicago no way.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:18 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
You do realize that the two largest employment centers (downtown and the med center) plus multiple universities (UH, Rice, UHD, TSU) plus cultural districts (museum district and hermann park) and all 4 professional stadiums/arenas are all located on mass transit lines. So, not having a car (while not recommended) is possible in houston.

The city has literally quadrupled (if not more) its dense multi-family urban housing stock along these rail lines. there are a number of 20, 30, and 40 story residential buildings under construction in downtown right now.

Houston is not the place you probably remembered it to be.
Most Chicago boosters have not been to Houston. They just use King of the Hill and repeat the word "suburb" to fill in the blanks.

I have only been there twice on business when I worked for a skate/snowboard company. But I could tell it was the most cosmopolitan city in Texas. And urbanity can be found there.

But what struck me was how laid back and affordable life is there. For someone with a family, life will be way better . It will be about 15% cheaper for goods and services, lower taxes, and way more house for his family.

My cousin raises his kids in Chicago, but he is forced to due to a job as law enforcement officer. They have to force cops to live there according to him.

This is not a thread about a post college hipsterette, trying to pretend shes on HBO. It's a guy with his family. Chicago is a bad place to raise a family.

Last edited by WizardOfRadical; 01-05-2017 at 12:30 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 AM

242 posts, read 239,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Most Chicago boosters have not been to Houston. They just use King of the Hill and repeat the word "suburb" to fill in the blanks.

I have only been there twice on business when I worked for a skate/snowboard company. But I could tell it was the most cosmopolitan city in Texas. And urbanity can be found there.

But what struck me was how laid back and affordable life is there. For someone with a family, life will be way better . It will be about 15% cheaper for goods and services, lower taxes, and way more house for his family.

My cousin raises his kids in Chicago, but he is forced to due to a job as law enforcement officer. They have to force cops to live there according to him.

This is not a thread about a post college hipsterette, trying to pretend shes on HBO. It's a guy with his family. Chicago is a bad place to raise a family.
Exactly

Old 01-05-2017, 07:31 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
LOL having upscale establishments does not change the fact that a barkeep's wages will not go far in Chicago. Do you think barkeeps in SF are living large. Or do they slum it with room mates or commute from Oakland?

A barkeep in Houston can afford to raise a family, Chicago no way.
That's odd, because I'm related to a barkeep who works in Manhattan and who used to work in Chicago. He reckons he's making anywhere from 120K - 140K a year, but he's not quite sure. I'm not sure if you qualify that as living large, but in my view, he is not slumming it. So, my question is directed at people who have worked as barkeeps at either or both and at the kind of establishment they worked at, because that shifts things a lot. There are definitely bartenders who raise families in Chicago or the Chicago suburbs without slumming it.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-05-2017 at 07:44 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 07:52 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:

Having lived in Chicago, I know lots of people from their mid-30s to early 40s who made a choice to stay in the city and raise their kids. You can buy a nice condo in a good school district with great transit access in the 300K range.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:15 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:

I know many people who raised families there, and loved it. Quit with your nonsensical posts already.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:46 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Y'all should probably stop. I'm sure y'all both had good intentions but this thread has become tall two touting y'alls cities. This is a relocation thread and it probably isn't all too helpful now.
Yea, I think this should be the guiding principle for this thread. It's a relocation thread and that means a lot of personal circumstances and preferences of the OP in particular.

Either move can work out just fine in abstract, but what are the specifics for the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City