Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which do you prefer
Atlanta 80 50.31%
Minneapolis 79 49.69%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:07 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Well for one, there's more opportunities for an African American to prosper in Atlanta than there is in Minneapolis. As I mentioned before, it's about representation and significance; maybe that doesn't entice you, but for someone who's single, career oriented, and often into such areas as Arts, Music, Media and etc. of a larger cultural degree, Atlanta fills that void. I'm not saying Atlanta is the only city that excels in this, because there's Houston, NYC, DC, Philly, and etc. But in comparison to Minneapolis, there's a large significant gap between the two.

Exactly, what's the problem?
I do not agree with that. I might have a better chance of becoming a rapper in ATL....but then maybe not (I am 50....lol).

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

In Minneapolis the metro unemployment rate is 3.0%....in metro Atlanta is 4.8 percent. The population growth rate in ATL might put more of a strain on employment.....so lets just call that even. However, I certainly think you should rethink the idea that you have more opportunity in ATL than MSP....because It's not true. In fact, places in Minneapolis are looking for AA because they are trying to have a more diverse workforce. I doubt very seriously if you have to look for AA in ATL, in order to promote diversity. Hell....you might have to look for white folks down there....lol....just kidding. However, if you BELIEVE that you have a better chance and opportunity in the ATL.....then that might turn into a self full filling prophecy, because you will likely manifest what you believe. If you are in a place and do not believe there is much opportunity for you....guess what...that is what you will manifest. So I am not knocking your beliefs......I am just saying that statistically.......you are incorrect regarding the juxtaposition.

What I will give ATL is that there is a lot of positive energy in the AA community. People believe that they are in the spot, the ATL, where things happen and that things can happen for them too. That translates to positive energy and vibrations that in turn makes it come true. However, its not really the place.....its the beliefs. Blacks in MSP or Detroit....could do the same thing if they changed what the believe and how they see where they live. Most things become self fulfilling prophecies. Don't get me wrong, there is this thing called REALITY! Some places are simply not good places for opportunity for AA....but MSP is not one of those places.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-17-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 01:24 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I do not agree with that. I might have a better chance of becoming a rapper in ATL....but then maybe not (I am 50....lol).

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

In Minneapolis the metro unemployment rate is 3.0%....in metro Atlanta is 4.8 percent. The population growth rate in ATL might put more of a strain on employment.....so lets just call that even. However, I certainly think you should rethink the idea that you have more opportunity in ATL than MSP....because It's not true. In fact, places in Minneapolis are looking for AA because they are trying to have a more diverse workforce. I doubt very seriously if you have to look for AA in ATL, in order to promote diversity. Hell....you might have to look for white folks down there....lol....just kidding. However, if you BELIEVE that you have a better chance and opportunity in the ATL.....then that might turn into a self full filling prophecy, because you will likely manifest what you believe. If you are in a place and do not believe there is much opportunity for you....guess what...that is what you will manifest. So I am not knocking your beliefs......I am just saying that statistically.......you are incorrect regarding the juxtaposition.
Well factually he is right.

Quote:
About 62 percent of black students attend high-poverty schools, compared with 10 percent of white students. Beyond Minneapolis, the state of Minnesota has one of the largest gaps in black-white student achievement.
Quote:
The MinnPost noted in 2010 that Minneapolis has race and income gaps between its urban core and wealthy suburbs and is doing worse on these measures than peer cities such as Denver, Seattle and Portland.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.c2d694a60cad

So while I do agree that no matter who you are and where you are,its your attitude that will get you the farthest but you cannot deny that if this is the case everywhere,then there should be such disparities as there are in Minneapolis in regards to race,
Another issue is police misconduct against minorities.Atlanta was one of the lowest in that regard in a study I posted a few months again.If I can find it again I will post that as well.Minneapolis did not do well if I remember correctly.

10 Worst Cities for African Americans.
http://247wallst.com/special-report/...ack-americans/
Atlanta MSA by the way is around 34% African America versus 79% white for Minneapolis,

Black Unemplyment rates by state.Minnesota is one of the highest,
https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2016/un...te-in-2015.htm

Also in Home Ownership Atlanta has a 48% of black home ownership rate versus 26% for Minneapolis.One of the worst in the nation.
17% of blacks are Self Employed in Atlanta vs 6.4% for Minneapolis-SP
http://www.newgeography.com/content/...t-economically

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 01-17-2017 at 01:59 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Well factually he is right.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.c2d694a60cad

So while I do agree that no matter who you are and where you are,its your attitude that will get you the farthest but you cannot deny that if this is the case everywhere,then there should be such disparities as there are in Minneapolis in regards to race,
Another issue is police misconduct against minorities.Atlanta was one of the lowest in that regard in a study I posted a few months again.If I can find it again I will post that as well.Minneapolis did not do well if I remember correctly.

10 Worst Cities for African Americans.
The Worst Cities for Black Americans - 24/7 Wall St.
Atlanta MSA by the way is around 34% African America versus 79% white for Minneapolis,

Black Unemplyment rates by state.Minnesota is one of the highest,
https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2016/un...te-in-2015.htm

Also in Home Ownership Atlanta has a 48% of black home ownership rate versus 26% for Minneapolis.One of the worst in the nation.
17% of blacks are Self Employed in Atlanta vs 6.4% for Minneapolis-SP
The Cities Where African-Americans Are Doing The Best Economically | Newgeography.com
Here is the thing though.....Minneapolis did not produce the poverty.......just like Atlanta did not produce the black middle class. A lot of poor blacks from Chicago, Gary and Detroit migrated to Minneapolis the last few decades. Most Middle Class Blacks that were migrating from cities up North, like Chicago, Gary, Detroit, Flint, etc......moved to places like Atlanta. In other words, the Atlanta Middle Class is mostly IMPORTED from other cities, while the black poverty in Minneapolis is mostly imported from other cities (and nations like Somalia).

The Twin Cities also has open enrollment. Kids can go to school wherever their parents can get them to it. You have to look beyond the statistics. If you have a massive number of poor people, on public assistance and without skill sets, migrating to an area in high numbers, they are going to continue to behavior and values of the place they left. Hence, people gang ganging in Chicago moving to Minneapolis gang gang when they get to Minneapolis. People who are educated and middle class and move to Atlanta become educated middle class people in Atlanta.....but Atlanta, the key point here, DID NOT CREATE THEIR CONDITION of being middle class, nor did Minneapolis create the condition of poverty for poor blacks. People moved to the areas in those conditions and the statics on the cities then only reflect that.

Again.....the metro unemployment rate in Minneapolis is 3.0!!!!! Its a BLUE city in a BLUE state.....meaning that is is very liberal and progressive. Minneapolis is one of the best cities to be poor in.....which attracts a lot of poor people. The hoods could pass as suburbs on the east coast. The poor in Minneapolis lives MUCH better than the poor in ATL. I have seen those "Homes/projects" and there is no place ln MPS like that. Now, these poor people are stuck in a certain mindset that was created from where they came from and hence they self fulfill the same condition of poverty.

In short, what I am saying is that those statistics you present are misleading, even though they at face value are true. If you take a poor uneducated person from Chicago and relocate them to Atlanta.....they will not likely become any more successful by by moving to Atlanta vs Moving to MSP. If they remain in poverty.....they will actually be better off in MSP than Atlanta given how progressive MSP is regarding programs and help for the poor.....they will have much better housing and aid. Again, what does Atlanta have that can convert a high school drop out with poor work history to a successful middle class person more so than what MSP could offer? Yes....Atlanta has a lot of successful blacks....BUT THEY MOVED TO ATLANTA ALREADY SUCCESSFUL!!! Most everything ATL is....comes from someplace else.....as the metro population has double in size in about a quarter of a century. Hence, Atlanta DID NOT MAKE THE PEOPLE WHO AND WHAT THEY ARE TODAY. ATL just benefited from those people relocating to ATL. The same is true for the high poverty among MSP blacks. MSP has one the fastest growing black population, percentage wise, in the nation....and a lot of those moving here are poor and uneducated.....which leads to the statistics you note.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-17-2017 at 03:47 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 03:36 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
That might be true but as a resident.....what would be the tangible benefit of that to me vs living in Minneapolis...A blue city in a blue state?
If you're Black, there are lots of tangible social benefits for starters. Then there are the networking benefits.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you're Black, there are lots of tangible social benefits for starters. Then there are the networking benefits.

Uhhhh....can you list them so that I can see if I agree or not?

Old 01-17-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Uhhhh....can you list them so that I can see if I agree or not?
It's pretty obvious...social networks are largely stratified by race in America. Now if a Black person doesn't identify as culturally Black then that may not apply.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's pretty obvious...social networks are largely stratified by race in America. Now if a Black person doesn't identify as culturally Black then that may not apply.
Hey....I consider myself a Pan African......so I am culturally AFRICAN, because that is where and what TRUE black culture is. If you cannot find a social Network in a metro area of 300K blacks.....then you are not looking for one. Just because ATL has more blacks does not mean that there are more social networks per capita for blacks. Its like when people trip about the murder rate in Chicago and make it look like Chicago is the worst city in America because it has the most murders. Well....there are many cities with a higher murder rate than Chicago....meaning that you a person is more likely to be killed in those cities than in Chicago. In the same light, just because there is more blacks does not translate that blacks have a better chance than some place with less blacks.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Hey....I consider myself a Pan African......so I am culturally AFRICAN, because that is where and what TRUE black culture is. You cannot find a social Network in a metro area of 300K blacks.....then you are not looking for one. Just because ATL has more blacks does not mean that there are more social networks per capita for blacks.
Except it does...look at the numbers, especially when it comes to college-educated Blacks.

And I never argued that Minneapolks doesn't have *any* benefits or advantages for Black folks because that wouldn't be true.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:14 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,513 times
Quote:
Here is the thing though.....Minneapolis did not produce the poverty.......just like Atlanta did not produce the black middle class. A lot of poor blacks from Chicago, Gary and Detroit migrated to Minneapolis the last few decades. Most Middle Class Blacks that were migrating from cities up North, like Chicago, Gary, Detroit, Flint, etc......moved to places like Atlanta. In other words, the Atlanta Middle Class is mostly IMPORTED from other cities, while the black poverty in Minneapolis is mostly imported from other cities (and nations like Somalia).

The Twin Cities also has open enrollment. Kids can go to school wherever their parents can get them to it. You have to look beyond the statistics. If you have a massive number of poor people, on public assistance and without skill sets, migrating to an area in high numbers, they are going to continue to behavior and values of the place they left. Hence, people gang ganging in Chicago moving to Minneapolis gang gang when they get to Minneapolis. People who are educated and middle class and move to Atlanta become educated middle class people in Atlanta.....but Atlanta, the key point here, DID NOT CREATE THEIR CONDITION of being middle class, nor did Minneapolis create the condition of poverty for poor blacks. People moved to the areas in those conditions and the statics on the cities then only reflect that.

Again.....the metro unemployment rate in Minneapolis is 3.0!!!!! Its a BLUE city in a BLUE state.....meaning that is is very liberal and progressive. Minneapolis is one of the best cities to be poor in.....which attracts a lot of poor people. The hoods could pass as suburbs on the east coast. The poor in Minneapolis lives MUCH better than the poor in ATL. I have seen those "Homes/projects" and there is no place ln MPS like that. Now, these poor people are stuck in a certain mindset that was created from where they came from and hence they self fulfill the same condition of poverty.

In short, what I am saying is that those statistics you present are misleading, even though they at face value are true. If you take a poor uneducated person from Chicago and relocate them to Atlanta.....they will not likely become any more successful by by moving to Atlanta vs Moving to MSP. If they remain in poverty.....they will actually be better off in MSP than Atlanta given how progressive MSP is regarding programs and help for the poor.....they will have much better housing and aid. Again, what does Atlanta have that can convert a high school drop out with poor work history to a successful middle class person more so than what MSP could offer? Yes....Atlanta has a lot of successful blacks....BUT THEY MOVED TO ATLANTA ALREADY SUCCESSFUL!!!
Where do you get you erroneous information?
You dont know Atlanta history very well so maybe you should sit back a listen.

Atlanta has long had a black middle class dating back to the early 1900's.
How do you think the Atlanta University Center with Morehouse College,Spelman College and Clark Atlanta University.
Sweet Auburn Neighborhood where Martin Luther King is on the National Historic Register as a neighborhood that was a symbol of black achievement.
Martin Luther Kings Jr family was from this neighborhood where it was a self sufficient enclave of black ,doctors,lawyers and teachers,
H.J Russell is one of the largest black owned buiness in America and he was from Atlanta poorest neighborhood,
The first black millionaire in Atlanta was born a slave in rural Georgia and built one of the largest homes any African American in 1910 had owned by creating the largest African American owned insurance company in America which is today still one of the largest,
Alonzo Herndon Home 1910

Atlanta Life

Atlanta Life Building in 1910

Former first black mayor of Atlanta and of a deep South city Maynard H. Jackson (Yes of Hartsfield Jackson Airport) whos idea to make all city contract abide by strict guidelines to have at least 30% minority contracts,helped create Atlanta large black middle class.
Jackson Securities was one of the largest black owned brokerage companies before it merged in 2013 with another company in NYC.

He also founded Jackmont Hospitality which also is one of the nationas largest restaurants of TGI Fridays franchises and food management services.

Emanuel Jones is a state senator and owns one of the largest black owned dealerships in America Legacy Automotive
He is also born and raised in Georgia

I could go on and on but if you wish to remain ignorant with false information be my guest.

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 01-17-2017 at 05:15 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:

In short, what I am saying is that those statistics you present are misleading, even though they at face value are true. If you take a poor uneducated person from Chicago and relocate them to Atlanta.....they will not likely become any more successful by by moving to Atlanta vs Moving to MSP. If they remain in poverty.....they will actually be better off in MSP than Atlanta given how progressive MSP is regarding programs and help for the poor.....they will have much better housing and aid. Again, what does Atlanta have that can convert a high school drop out with poor work history to a successful middle class person more so than what MSP could offer? Yes....Atlanta has a lot of successful blacks....BUT THEY MOVED TO ATLANTA ALREADY SUCCESSFUL!!! Most everything ATL is....comes from someplace else.....as the metro population has double in size in about a quarter of a century. Hence, Atlanta DID NOT MAKE THE PEOPLE WHO AND WHAT THEY ARE TODAY. ATL just benefited from those people relocating to ATL. The same is true for the high poverty among MSP blacks. MSP has one the fastest growing black population, percentage wise, in the nation....and a lot of those moving here are poor and uneducated.....which leads to the statistics you note.
I have to disagree with you, at least in part, that Atlanta did not make the successful folks who live there successful. Atlanta is a center of higher education and has many students who graduate and stick around, plus there are the folks who move there right out of college to begin their careers. The same is also true of Minneapolis, more or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City