Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these metrcities you find in general to be the most beautiful landscape,built environment ,
Dallas 8 3.54%
Phoenix 73 32.30%
Atlanta 121 53.54%
Houston 24 10.62%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 03:40 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,917,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Nothing but pine trees as far as the eye can see....

Yeah, looks just like Dallas with a few scattered 'pines' added in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 03:44 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times
Quote:
Your original point was this rather brash and unfounded statement:

"Trying to find water in the Atlanta area felt like trying to find it in the Sahara"

That is obviously untrue, and you've offered absolutely nothing of substance to back it up.

Chattahoochee River, Atlanta:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/e...70156835_n.jpg

Trinity River, Dallas:

http://media.nbcdfw.com/images/652*3...ver+061314.jpg

Need I say more?
I need a glass of water.
I said "felt" not "is", which makes my comment a relative observation and not a statement of fact. It's called hyperbole.

I never said there were no bodies of water in Atlanta, but within the same radius from downtown, the Texas cities have more. Fact.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Pine trees? Really? I guess all of that beautiful Fall color comes from our abundance of 'fake trees' then.

Nope, no agenda here.
Lol. To rephrase: if you were to add pines and bigger hills to the Dallas landscape, you would have scenery which is very similar to Atlanta. Both cities put on a decent fall color show.

So there's no agenda here. I'm not saying Atlanta isn't a prettier city or that it shouldn't be winning the poll. Only saying that the claims of Atlanta and Dallas being almost polar opposites in terms of aesthetics seem rather baseless. I would think most people truly familiar with both metros would agree.

I'm a former Atlanta resident, myself, so I am highly amused by the fact you actually thought I was saying the area is nothing but pines.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:38 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I said "felt" not "is", which makes my comment a relative observation and not a statement of fact. It's called hyperbole.

I never said there were no bodies of water in Atlanta, but within the same radius from downtown, the Texas cities have more. Fact.
Where I'm from, facts have to be validated sooner or later.
Still waiting.
Oh wait; you just so much as admitted that you deal in hyperbole, not facts.
Never mind.

hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/Submit
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric; More

Last edited by Iconographer; 02-18-2017 at 04:47 PM..

Old 02-18-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Where I'm from, facts have to be validated sooner or later.
Still waiting.
Oh wait; you just so much as admitted that you deal in hyperbole, not facts.
Never mind.
Google Maps is your friend!

Quote:
hy·per·bo·le
hīˈpərbəlē/Submit
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric; More
Sounds right to me.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:20 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,917,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Lol. To rephrase: if you were to add pines and bigger hills to the Dallas landscape, you would have scenery which is very similar to Atlanta.
No, you wouldn't have very similar scenery - by any stretch of imagination. The Metroplex is basically prairie, North Georgia is mostly native hardwood forest -granted, with some pines mixed in. If you lived here you would know for a fact that almost all undeveloped land is heavily forested, including some urban tracts inside 285.

Quote:
Both cities put on a decent fall color show.
You can't seriously be comparing the two when it comes to Fall color?!?! If so, you are really reaching at this point.

Quote:
I'm a former Atlanta resident, myself, so I am highly amused by the fact you actually thought I was saying the area is nothing but pines.
Ahem... "If pine trees and a few big hills makes the difference between ugly and beautiful to you, then to each his own, I guess."

Old 02-18-2017, 09:27 PM

643 posts, read 1,017,585 times
Atlanta
Phoenix
Houston
Dallas

Old 02-19-2017, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 10,273 times
None of those there all deserts with buildings accept fore Atlanta but I have never liked Georgia Go somewhere like Memphis or Grand Rapids (although it can be pretty cold there sometimes). Detroit has a LOT of culture but u might not feel safe there unless if u stay downtown.

Last edited by Bubby348; 02-19-2017 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: I was wrong on something

Old 02-19-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, you wouldn't have very similar scenery - by any stretch of imagination. The Metroplex is basically prairie, North Georgia is mostly native hardwood forest -granted, with some pines mixed in. If you lived here you would know for a fact that almost all undeveloped land is heavily forested, including some urban tracts inside 285.
Similar but not the same. And, actually, Dallas is mixed forest and prairie. Lots and lots of sweetgum and juniper trees in both. I've already stated Dallas has less trees, but thanks for reiterating that.

Quote:
You can't seriously be comparing the two when it comes to Fall color?!?! If so, you are really reaching at this point.
Nope. Neither city has reliably impressive fall color every year, but most years you'll see some nice changes in hue. Atlanta is better for sure, but you're mistaken to think Dallas has none.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:29 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,129 times
I can't speak for Dallas but Atlanta has pretty awesome fall colors annually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City