Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer
Columbia 31 51.67%
Colorado Springs 29 48.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:28 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times

Advertisements

These 2 cities cities seem to be pretty similar on their faces and I wonder how they stack up?
How does Columbia SC compare to CO Springs when it comes to:

Demographics of best fit (retirees, college students, retail workers...)
Jobs - Industry - Career - Federal Dependence (both have a decent military presence)
Sprawl - Neighbourhoods - Downtown
Chain vs individual stores and restaurants
Homelessness and city tidiness
Political and religious environment

I know climate is going to be a personal preference as the people who like SC won't like CO Springs and vice versa; hot and wet vs cold (relatively) and dry. Likewise recreation will be a personal preference thing as well. I'd assume COL is about the same in both.

A personal question for me is how bad are the snakes, mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers in Columbia? CO Springs only has rattlesnakes.

Which city would you prefer overall? What are some things you really like about these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 07:53 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
i can't see many people being familiar with both of these cities.

humidity tolerance and proximity to mountains vs beach would seem to be the main decision points.

Cola is also less isolated from other cities.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:52 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,378,687 times
Colorado Springs hands down.
Great city, stunning scenery, friendly locals and good economy.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:59 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Demographics of best fit (retirees, college students, retail workers...)- Colorado Springs
Jobs - Industry - Career - Federal Dependence (both have a decent military presence)- Colorado Springs
Sprawl - Neighbourhoods - Downtown - Colorado Springs has a nice and active downtown with plenty to do
Chain vs individual stores and restaurants- Colorado Springs encourages to eat local
Homelessness and city tidiness- Not sure
Political and religious environment- Colorado Springs is more liberal

I would choose Colorado Springs because it is not as religious or conservative. I also like the appearance of the city and activities.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I don't know a lot about Colorado Springs, but I've never heard it and "liberal" in the same sentence. El Paso County is pretty red, whereas Richland County is pretty blue.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:34 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,498 times
I lied Columbia when I was there at a Gamecocks game but overall, I prefer Colorado Springs.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:54 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Climate/location alone make this choice not even a contest for me. Colorado Springs all the way. (I'm sure there are plenty who would say the same exact thing for the same exact reason and choose Columbia. Everyone's preferences are different!)

Colorado Springs is cool little city in a great location with an awesome setting. It gets a lot of criticism for an undersized downtown, but that doesn't bother me. The downtown they have is an intimate area, and if some of the plans on tap go through it'll be a really cool neighborhood.

I think one of the most regrettable things about Colorado Springs is its poor growth management. At 700,000 people it's not really a "big" city but because of its rapid growth since the 1960s it isn't as well designed as it could and should be. Part of the problem is the era in which it sprung up, too. To me it seems anything designed and built in the 1970s-1980s is just not all that well designed and has not aged gracefully. These are things that can be overcome by the city, but it will take a long time before it ever reaches its potential.

Still, those shortcomings aside, it's nice enough and its location puts it over the top for me.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:00 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't know a lot about Colorado Springs, but I've never heard it and "liberal" in the same sentence. El Paso County is pretty red, whereas Richland County is pretty blue.
Exactly. Columbia is pretty progressive overall and in the past election Clinton won by a margin of 65-35 over Trump in Richland County (where Columbia is located).

Old 01-18-2017, 08:41 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly. Columbia is pretty progressive overall and in the past election Clinton won by a margin of 65-35 over Trump in Richland County (where Columbia is located).
Yep. Plus Columbia scored a 75 on HRC's Municipal Equality Index while Colorado Springs scored a 53. Neither are bad scores, but in light of this and voting patterns, it's hard to understand why someone would say they would pick Colorado Springs because it's not as conservative.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:46 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
Because they see Columbia is in SC and automatically assume its super conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City