Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia vs Ohio
Georgia 79 56.83%
Ohio 60 43.17%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:56 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Two things:

First, I just plain forgot Augusta (my bad), but it looks like a cool, midsize city I'm hoping to check out at some point. Perhaps take my dad to the Master's and explore around for a few days on either end. I didn't realize how large a city it was either. My point though (and I think to some degree, it still stands), is that, as a general rule, Ohio has more urbanized areas and population centers than does GA) Here's a list, just so I can fact check myself:

Largest Statistical Areas in OH and GA (2010 I Believe)
1. Atlanta-Athens-Clarke County-Sandy Springs CSA: 6.3M (GA)
2. Cleveland-Akron-Canton CSA: 3.5M (OH)
3. Columbus-Marion-Chillicothe CSA: 2.3M (OH)
4. Cincinnati-Wilmington-Maysville CSA: 2.2M (OH)
5. Dayton-Springfield-Sidney CSA: 1.1M (OH)
6. Toledo-Port Clinton CSA: 700K (OH)
7. Youngstown-Warren CSA: 700K (OH)
8. Augusta-Richmond County CSA: 600K (GA)
9. Savannah-Hinesville-Statesboro CSA: 500K (GA)
10. Columbus-Auburn-Opelika CSA: 500K (GA)
11. Macon-Warner Robins CSA: 400K (GA)

Now, I think it is worth pointing out in this venture that parts of the Chattanooga and Jacksonville CSA very well extend into GA's borders. However, the same can probably be said for Ohio too, with Detroit and Pittsburgh.

As for growing/shrinking populations, that matters little to me. I'm not a herd follower.

In regards to coastal areas? Well, each one has different strengths IMO. Moreso than beach towns, I think that GA is known for it's barrier islands. Cumberland Island especially is a unique spot, that I haven't yet been to (still kicking myself for that junior year in college decision LOL). Obviously, it's warmer, longer, and the sand quality is probably better on GA beaches for lounging/strolling. As per Ohio though, I think one of the great things about the Lake is how ideal it is in the period between May-September for watersports (kayaking, SUPing, sailing, etc., IMO Great Lakes waters were made for these activities. Also, because Ohio is more built up, along and near the lakeshore, the coastal areas have a much more nautical vibe, in general. This seafood spot, set to simulate an upscale cruise ship experience, perhaps showcases some of that.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...781408!6m1!1e1

Of course there's Cedar Point, which is a must visit for anyone who remotely enjoys roller coasters, and it's resort:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...834327!6m1!1e1

But, there's really just a coastal ambiance all around. Like the kind of thing that people travel from across the country to a place like Cape Cod, or Coastal Maine, to experience, but wouldn't expect to find it here:

Marblehead Lighthouse: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...125177!6m1!1e1

Put in Bay (Key West of the North):
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pe...113312!6m1!1e1

Geneva on the Lake:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8606...8i6656!6m1!1e1

etc. So one isn't better or worse, their just different. Savannah even doesn't really have a coastal vibe though. So much of the emphasis is on the history in town, and past that, the river/tree canopy for scenery, that apart from locals, I don't know how much attention the ocean actually gets.

Savannah is up river but Tybee Island is just one of the many barrier islands that are within the Savannah MSA.
Tybee has been liked to a mini "Key West"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 05:55 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Huh, I was never aware. Just from perusing Google Maps from it and what I had heard it was more just a sleepy beach town, but since that's the case though, I'll have to check it out next time!

Old 01-26-2017, 07:59 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Huh, I was never aware. Just from perusing Google Maps from it and what I had heard it was more just a sleepy beach town, but since that's the case though, I'll have to check it out next time!
No. They have bars and clubs also.Neat local restaurants and the beach during the summer is probably the most popular in Georgia.

Also the Golden Isles are mostly barrier islands but someof them have some of the most exclusive resorts in the world.

Sea Island has the Lodge and The Cloister.The G8 met there in the early 2000.

Jekyll Island is a beautiful resortIsland where the Rockefellers,vanderbuilts etc owned "cottages" there.They founded the Jekyll Island Club where they all got together and formed our Federal reserve Sytyem.

St.Simons also is a wealthy island retreat.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:19 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
I love that picture of the Gay Days Parade on Tybee!

Old 01-29-2017, 05:31 PM

11 posts, read 12,682 times
Cost of Living/Taxes: Georgia without a doubt
K-12 Education: Overall Ohio
College Education: Georgia
Food/Restaurants: Tie
Quality of Life: Georgia
Safety/Crime: Tie
Overall Economy: Georgia
Cities: Georgia, Atlanta and Savannah.
Future: Hands down Georgia. In population, Georgia may pass Ohio in a few decades.

Overall Georgia 6-1 and 2 pushes.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:39 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
I am from Ohio but Georgia has a near perfect climate for me, except for the summer months of unbearable heat and humidity Atlanta climate is perfect. I would still pick Ohio over Georgia unless I got to live in Atlanta thou.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:56 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Cost of living: Georgia
Education: Ohio
College education: Ohio
Food: Tie
Quality of life: Georgia
Safety: Ohio
Economy: the ports tilt toward Georgia
Cities: Georgia... Savannah, Atlanta
Future: Georgia...the weather wins.

I live in Georgia, but I lived in Ohio for many years. I've had better food in Ohio, and I love the weather in Ga, except for mid summer, when I long to feel the snowflakes again. It really is a toss up for me.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:27 PM

657 posts, read 801,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
The Midwest may have a bad reputation but we cannot ignore the fact that much the same is true for the South, especially the Deep South, perhaps even to a greater extent.
Strangely, the south seems to be a favourite on here. With exception of maybe some deep southern states(and Texas), they always do well on these state v state or city v city.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:01 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Strangely, the south seems to be a favourite on here. With exception of maybe some deep southern states(and Texas), they always do well on these state v state or city v city.
Why is that strange? The South is a great place to live! Don't believe the stereotypes.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:12 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,477 times
Where would you rather live?

•Cost of Living/Taxes - Ohio
•K-12 Education -Ohio
•College Education - Ohio
•Food/Restaurants - Ohio
•Quality of Life - Ohio
•Safety/Crime - Ohio
•Overall Economy - Ohio
•Cities - Ohio
•Future - Georgia, but Ohio is reversing it's once dramatic slide, as many are choosing to relocate to the state.

Outside of Atlanta & Savannah, there's very little to attract people to Georgia. Ohio has more cities and metropolitan area's, each with it's own unique flavor. The mountains in northern Georgia are stunningly beautiful, but outside of that it is rather flat and uninspiring. I feel that Ohio is a much prettier state overall ... it offers more variations in topography, though not as dramatic as the mountainous region in N. Georgia. The mountainous and hilly regions in southern and southeast Ohio are very beautiful, and are composed of the Appalachian foothills. There's a region in southeast Ohio known as "The Little Smokies" .... it is breathtakingly beautiful.

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 01-31-2017 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City