Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities are the most supportive and most into their NBA team and the NBAs culture?
Chicago 21 26.58%
Los Angeles 32 40.51%
New York 11 13.92%
the San Francisco Bay Area 5 6.33%
Toronto 10 12.66%
Washington D.C. 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:36 PM

657 posts, read 802,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i listen to a boston morning radio show (big city 101.3) and the deejay said whenever he goes to celtics games he is one of a few black people in his section.
Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
What would you expect with the demographics of the region? The Black population of the state of MA is just 8%. It is even less in the closest to Boston adjoining states of RI (6%) and NH (1%).
In Boston itself though, the percentage of black people is 25%.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
I think I have to give it to Los Angeles here. The Lakers will always be the Lakers, and now the Clippers are making a run that doesn't look to be slowing anytime soon. Even with 2 NFL teams now, Lakers and Clippers still don't have to worry about them. Hockey seems like its yay and nay.

I also think Chicago is up there. The Bulls seem to be the blood of many Chicagoan's, and the team seems to be hyped every year, unlike the Bears. Bulls are #1 in attendance this year. I do think the Blackhawks hog the spotlight a bit though.

I've never been to Boston, but I don't see how the Sox and Pats don't dominate there. The Sox are the Sox and the Pat's NFL run in unprecedented. I know the Celtics are popular, but Sox and Pats just seem to be on another tier right now in terms of city love.

The Knicks will forever be popular and valuable just because they're in NY with MSG. And the Nets will never be a threat. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved again. What is a threat is the sheer glut of other teams in the NY market. The Knicks are definitely apart of NY culture, but NYers don't seem as rabid about them as LA, except for maybe Stan Lee. There's just so much else to see and do, and so much to root for.

Bandwagons didn't care about GS 3 years ago, but I'm sure the fans did. That said, I still don't see the Bay as a basketball place. That area screams football all the way to me with the 49ers and Raiders combo (for now). Plus Stanford has put on an entertaining product and Cal wasn't too bad not long ago. And the Giants seem to always be on the Bay's mind. I had a friend who would-not-shut-up-about-the-Giants every time she came to the office. "We've won every two years! This year it's two years!" I haven't met anyone that annoying about the Warriors.

I think the Wizard made a smart move bringing back the Bullets colors, and matching with the Nats and Caps, creating uniformity. The red, white, and blue is much easier to get behind than that dirty blue and bronze. But even with the new-old image and alright success, they'll forever be behind the Skins, Caps, and Nats for the foreseeable future in my opinion. The Skins, Caps, and Nats are just different in terms of hype.

I don't get Toronto. They seem diehard and I know everyone is behind them now, but I don't see how Maple Leafs aren't the life blood. It'll be interesting to follow Toronto - the team and the fans - after they lose Derozan, Lowry, and Drake, then we'll see how Toronto really feels. I do miss the old dinosaur logo though. I'll def root for Toronto though, tired of the sudden Cavs-mania.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:29 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
But lets be real. Seattle hasn't had a team for almost a decade now and you still see people sporting Sonics gear everytime you go out. Huge basketball culture here with lots of local talent in the NBA.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:21 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
But lets be real. Seattle hasn't had a team for almost a decade now and you still see people sporting Sonics gear everytime you go out. Huge basketball culture here with lots of local talent in the NBA.
Shawn Kemp...one of the best dunkers of all time, if nothing else.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
In Boston itself though, the percentage of black people is 25%.
You understand you could probably cast a stone from the Boston Garden to Cambridge or Somerville right?
Cambridge, Somerville, Everett, Revere, Chelsea and Winthrop are all closer to the Garden than Mattapan.
Boston City proper doesn't really mean much.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You understand you could probably cast a stone from the Boston Garden to Cambridge or Somerville right?
Cambridge, Somerville, Everett, Revere, Chelsea and Winthrop are all closer to the Garden than Mattapan.
Boston City proper doesn't really mean much.
I really don't understand much of what you're saying here. What's this gotta do with my post?

Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 PM

410 posts, read 633,882 times
Regarding Chicago, I've always felt like the city has never had one team take the mantle as the marquee team of the city.

I feel like NYC has the Yankees, LA the Lakers. Boston maybe the Pats or Sox etc. Meanwhile it seems like in the 1980s Chicago had the Bears. The 90s dominated by the Bulls. The 10s' began with Hawks-mania and now it hasmgiven way to the Cubs. If I hadnto choose it seems like the Bears and Cubs have the highest level of interest consistently, but Chi never struck me as a city with a favorite son team like some other cities. That may be my perspective though.

Somewhat OT, but some people have been talkimg about this type of stuff in the thread so got me thinking.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:36 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I really don't understand much of what you're saying here. What's this gotta do with my post?
City proper demographics don't really matter. 1/2 the people who live near the Garden don't live in the actual city. Metro demographics roughly correlate with Garden Criwds.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
City proper demographics don't really matter. 1/2 the people who live near the Garden don't live in the actual city. Metro demographics roughly correlate with Garden Criwds.
Oh, I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City