Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Los Angeles 94 42.34%
New York City 128 57.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 09:26 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Do you guys feel like the marine layer doesn't seem to travel as deep into the city (LA) or last as long for the same time of year as it used to when growing up?
I don’t think so (in SD). Some years are better, or worse, often coinciding with a drought or El Niño year, but nothing really seems different than when I was a child, or young adult. If anything, people I know seem to think May grey/June gloom is more frequent, and last longer, than it use to be.

Personally I think people have short memories when it comes to recent history, and selective memory when it come to the past. They’ll remember what suits them best. I’m sure if you were to look at weather history, or read the yearly articles we seem to get on the subject, you’ll see a random pattern of good, bad, good, good, bad, bad, good, etc, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I don’t think so (in SD). Some years are better, or worse, often coinciding with a drought or El Niño year, but nothing really seems different than when I was a child, or young adult. If anything, people I know seem to think May grey/June gloom is more frequent, and last longer, than it use to be.

Personally I think people have short memories when it comes to recent history, and selective memory when it come to the past. They’ll remember what suits them best. I’m sure if you were to look at weather history, or read the yearly articles we seem to get on the subject, you’ll see a random pattern of good, bad, good, good, bad, bad, good, etc, etc....
My view is that it's significantly different from what I remember growing up in the 90s. I wonder if there's longitudinal studies on this and if there's a trending curve that's more than just from one year to another, but over decades so that trend lines don't get blipped out by small local anomalies.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:41 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
So first we have a thread that compares Chicago to LA (but only if we take out anything related to nature), and now we have a thread comparing NY to LA (but only if we take out Winter).

I guess it should be flattering that at least people realize LA has positive aspects before they create dumb comparisons that totally take them away.
Taking out summer would actually make NYC more appealing. The winter sucks but summer in the city is HELL ON EARTH!

Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
My view is that it's significantly different from what I remember growing up in the 90s. I wonder if there's longitudinal studies on this and if there's a trending curve that's more than just from one year to another, but over decades so that trend lines don't get blipped out by small local anomalies.
It's probably more caused by the pacific decadal oscillation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifi...al_oscillation

I noticed San Diego's 30-year climate averages (1981-2010) is actually a little cooler than the previous one (1971-2000). For example average high in Aug used to be 78, now it's 76. July used to be 76, now its 75.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:59 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
Nope thats wrong about about that neighborhood. Google it and youll see what that LA area is like compared to NY. So it is isnt the same.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:30 PM

142 posts, read 222,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Taking out summer would actually make NYC more appealing. The winter sucks but summer in the city is HELL ON EARTH!
Take out fall and winter too. Really, spring is the only good season in NYC.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:33 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savvysearch View Post
Take out fall and winter too. Really, spring is the only good season in NYC.
Fall? Are you out of your gourd? That is the best season in the city.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I love NYC summers. By the time it's night, it's usually very comfortable outside

Old 06-16-2018, 12:07 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
I've always thought this. During the day in LA, the majority of people are stuck in traffic and an office. You wake up early in your home that probably has A/C, sit in a car with A/C, get to your office with A/C, drive home in your car with A/C, then by the time it's night, the daytime heat is almost entirely gone. Nights in LA often cool off enough to need a light jacket.

In NYC, every apartment has A/C, but I'll concede that the subway platforms feel like standing an oven. But the actual trains have A/C and the office has A/C. Then at night, it's actually warm enough to wear shorts and a t shirt all night long.

IMO, I'd rather have warm nights. Daytime weather is almost irrelevant when you're commuting and working in an office all day. Nights are when you get to go for happy hours and/or dinner after work. Weekend days is where personal preference comes in, but weekend nights staying out on a rooftop till 4am comfortably in shorts and a t shirt is a great feeling.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:28 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I've always thought this. During the day in LA, the majority of people are stuck in traffic and an office. You wake up early in your home that probably has A/C, sit in a car with A/C, get to your office with A/C, drive home in your car with A/C, then by the time it's night, the daytime heat is almost entirely gone. Nights in LA often cool off enough to need a light jacket.

In NYC, every apartment has A/C, but I'll concede that the subway platforms feel like standing an oven. But the actual trains have A/C and the office has A/C. Then at night, it's actually warm enough to wear shorts and a t shirt all night long.

IMO, I'd rather have warm nights. Daytime weather is almost irrelevant when you're commuting and working in an office all day. Nights are when you get to go for happy hours and/or dinner after work. Weekend days is where personal preference comes in, but weekend nights staying out on a rooftop till 4am comfortably in shorts and a t shirt is a great feeling.
So it's so cool at night in LA people need a jacket but wake up needing/using AC??? That doesn't even make sense. If you need AC during the day in LA you probably have warm enough evenings and nights to enjoy without a jacket. Sure it may drop into the low to mid 60's as a low but that's usually right before sunrise when most people are asleep. If you need a jacket in the evening you likely don't really need AC during the day or morning where you are, aka near the coast. I do agree warm, humid evenings and nights are awesome but they generally require AC during the rest of the day. Only in coastal SoCal though could you get away with warm enough evenings/nights in shorts/t-shirt and days without needing AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City