Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 02:18 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times

Advertisements

New York City 77 (population: 8.5 million)
Los Angeles 90 (population: 3.9 million)
Chicago 191 (population: 2.7 million)

Amazing, how low the rate is New York City compared to not just Chicago but also much lower then Los Angeles.

I thought, New York City might have a similar rate to Toronto but it looks like Toronto is at 17 homicides this year with a population of 2.7 million people.

Denver 17 (population: 690,000)

https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...crime-map.html
There was another one yesterday morning in east Denver that isn't added on to the database.

Typical rate for Denver for the time of year. The suburbs seem to be trending worse though.

Omaha, Nebraska 7 (population: 450,000)

http://dataomaha.com/homicides/2017

6 out of 7 homicides were in a small area of Omaha. I wonder if Omaha has some of the most concentrated areas of homicide in the country.

I would venture to guess certain years, there are neighborhoods in North Omaha that are among the roughest in the country, but they are such small areas of the city.

Lincoln, Nebraska 0 (population: 275,000)

www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/police/stats/stats.htm

Des Moines, Iowa 12 (population: 210,000)

Salt Lake City, Utah 2 (population: 190,000)

http://www.slcpd.com/ass3ts/uploads/...ol-3-No-16.pdf

Little Rock, AR 20 (population: 197,000)
Birmingham, AL 33 (population: 210,000)
Jackson, MS 21 (population: 171,000)
New Orleans, LA 62 (population: 384,000)

Last edited by lovecrowds; 04-29-2017 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 03:03 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
That's an exaggeration. San Francisco, LA, Seattle and Portland just as examples of major US cities do not have murder rates anywhere near many Latin American countries and it's ridiculous to compare a city with a country.

For reference, here is a list of the top homicidal mid-size to big cities in Central & South America

Most Dangerous Cities In South and Central America - WorldAtlas.com

From 2014, the two most dangerous countries based on murder rate are Honduras and El Salvador, with a murder rate of 74.6 and 64.2. Ironically, both of these countries have a heavy presence of the gangs MS-13 and Sur-13, which both gangs were created in the USA and were simply transported to those countries. Their ongoing gang war is the primary cause of why these two countries are very dangerous.

While the USA is no Latin America, the murder rate in some of these cities is insane for a supposedly first-world country compared to lets say Canadian, Japan, and Sweden cities. I know smaller cities like Gary, IN or East St. Louis had murder rates comparable or higher than some of the most dangerous cities in Latin America during some of their most violent years. For major cities, breaking it down to neighborhoods it becomes chilling. Last year in Chicago, Englewood had a murder rate of 153/100k. When you look at other first-world countries such as the three aforementioned, we are kind of looking barbaric. I know the entire country of Japan (pop. 130 million) had fewer than 1,000 homicides in recent times and there are practically no ghettos with high murder rates.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:21 PM

112 posts, read 154,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveInAmerica View Post
You all must be gangbangers judging by the level of fear in here.

People bitching about crime is annoying, and it's overrated. You have a better shot at the Mega Millions than being a victim of a murder in any of these cities, especially a random one.
That's because they all have a fantasy to convey that their life situation is harder in a covert way of comparison like city murder rates. Look at each poster and the location they're from and its obvious they want to feel they have it harder to express some kind of mental dominance. None of the people on c-d are contributing to the murder rate lol they're just regular joe at a starbucks conversating about gangs and drugs. All acting like each murder doesn't have a name to it. Like it's some sport where everybody place bets.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:30 PM

112 posts, read 154,233 times
This thread and the last are stupid because all cities have good and bad areas and bad people. It all depends on your luck if you run into the wrong person. Compare prison if yall always fantasize this stuff since its fair everybody in there is bad dummy lol

Old 04-29-2017, 05:41 PM

909 posts, read 1,082,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
That's an exaggeration. San Francisco, LA, Seattle and Portland just as examples of major US cities do not have murder rates anywhere near many Latin American countries and it's ridiculous to compare a city with a country.
San Francisco and LA are still above the US average, so it's not entirely the best. Seattle and Portland, yes, but they're an anomaly. It's true that most major US cities have murder rates far above US average, mostly double or even triple the average. It's amazing that NYC and Boston are as low as they are nowadays considering their urban fabric and history. Both cities still have a growing minority class.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:01 PM

824 posts, read 711,480 times
Boston actually has a higher murder rate than NYC, Portland, and Seattle. It's just that early in the year, there tends to be less but then when summer rolls around, it starts to worsen like in a lot of cities. This time last year, there were, I believe 7 murders, and then the year ended with about 45, and there have been 3 murders in Boston just in the last 1 and a half weeks along with numerous shootings, so I seems like the spring/summer effect is starting to hit the city.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Boston actually has a higher murder rate than NYC, Portland, and Seattle. It's just that early in the year, there tends to be less but then when summer rolls around, it starts to worsen like in a lot of cities. This time last year, there were, I believe 7 murders, and then the year ended with about 45, and there have been 3 murders in Boston just in the last 1 and a half weeks along with numerous shootings, so I seems like the spring/summer effect is starting to hit the city.
Yeah, technically it does. But Boston has small city limits for a city that size and its limits extend mostly in the direction of the worst neighborhoods in the Boston area. For Boston to still have that low of a murder rate with city limits like that is impressive.

The Boston metro area overall is among the safest in the country. According to the most recent stats I can find (2013), the Boston metro murder rate was lower than Seattle and higher than Portland (equidistant between the two) and NY's was twice as high.

Dorchester had a murder rate of around 15/100k last year. That's lower than many other entire cities.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 04-30-2017 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Yeah, technically it does. But Boston has small city limits for a city that size and its limits extend mostly in the direction of the worst neighborhoods in the Boston area. For Boston to still have that low of a murder rate with city limits like that is impressive.

The Boston metro area overall is among the safest in the country. According to the most recent stats I can find (2013), the Boston metro murder rate was lower than Seattle and higher than Portland (equidistant between the two) and NY's was twice as high.

Dorchester had a murder rate of around 15/100k last year. That's lower than many other entire cities.
The North Shore also has a measurable amount of murders annually too, now I won't deny that Boston does have a lower murder rate than other cities and the metro area is pretty safe, but you can also apply that logic to many cities throughout the country, with the city limits, including suburbs changes a lot of factors and statistics and most of the time, we use individual cities to measure their homicide rate, not the overall metro area. I'm not sure if this is a correct or right use of using statistics just based on one municipality, but when you use a metro area's murder rate, then that changes the statistics for nearly all urban areas for better or worse.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:04 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,466 times
Boston's "hood" has a homicide rate lower than many whole cities. When I was living there and was driving 3rd shift, I'd always get the "you're going to get shot" comments every so often and I'd get so many wannabe thugs angry with these facts but there is absolutely nothing hood about Boston. Even Enimen made fun of Boston.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 04-30-2017 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 05:10 PM

I'm also not trying to knock on Boston either, I'm just trying to point out that Boston is just about 1 catorgory above some other cities when it comes to shootings and murders. I also understand that Boston is still definetly not one of the more dangerous cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City