Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city and/or environment to press the restart button in life?
New York 53 28.65%
Los Angeles 54 29.19%
Chicago 42 22.70%
Washington D.C. 14 7.57%
San Francisco 22 11.89%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:44 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Ha, no. The responses here prove otherwise.
No, the responses indicate LA is winning the poll. The End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 08:04 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
For me it would be:

1) Chicago. I've always loved Chicago, I love the lake, the manicured skyline, the architecture and the people. On a more practical note, it isn't much more expensive than Dallas where I currently live so I feel confident that I could make it there.

2) San Francisco. I think it might be the most beautiful city in the country. Way too expensive, but hey.

3) D.C. I have a bunch of friends there who work on the hill and every time I visit I have a great time.

4) LA. Im not a huge fan of L.A. personalty, but I dont hate it either. I like California a lot. Awesome weather.

5) NYC. Moving to NY would be exciting I don't doubt that. It has so much to offer and if I got an opportunity to move there for work I would take it, but wouldn't take a cut in my quality of life just to live there as some people might. If all things were created equal and money was no object I might move it to third behind Chicago and SF.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:58 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,479 times
From a Chicago native, of those places listed...LA.

Of the places not listed, Miami.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:12 PM

332 posts, read 524,907 times
I did a reset about 10 years ago -- moved to Chicago. Classic move to the big city from the middle of nowhere and come out story. Chicago's been overall great for me. It's VERY practical and makes a lot of sense. GREAT job opportunities and a very strong core of jobs available. Not having to drive is a huge plus.

But, truth be told, even though I like it a lot and it makes a lot of sense, I don't really love it here, per se. But I get this way, every year. Even in years like this year when the winter's not bad. I really like spring, summer and fall here, so 3 out of 4 seasons equal happiness. But OMG that one season!!?? Also, there's just this intangible vibe here that I just don't really feel.

These next few years, I'm going to be mulling my decision as to whether or not to stay long term. Strong decision factors will be the career and the love live (even though its a great gay friendly city and there's a lot of guys, I feel like I've had the worst dating luck in the history of humanity). Career has been great, but the question comes as to whether it would be advantageous for me to stay (after I finish my Masters) or go, with both regards to specificity of the job itself plus income and work/life balance.

I'm definitely here for the next couple of years while I finish out my Masters, but then IDK. My heart kinda says to look elsewhere (LA!!?????, Mia??, Paris, NY, Barcelona, SF, etc) but at the same time for me it just makes so much practical sense to stay here. Tough decision coming up in the future.

People who basically have some sort of "freedom of movement," who could theoretically live in nearly any of the great cities of the world, what do you think and what would you adivse?

Old 01-05-2018, 12:38 AM

754 posts, read 569,929 times
New York City is where I'd want to live most out of these, but if I "hated everything thing about where I live and had to start over", than NYC wouldn't count as I live in New Jersey, part of the NYC metro area.

Therefore I voted Chicago, it's the only city out of those that I've never visited, has the lowest cost of living, has a nice layout, good transit, & would feel the most different time as I never visited the Midwest.

-NYC would be off limits for the reason I said above, & is expensive
-Washington DC is nice, & I like Maryland & Virginia, this would be my runner up
-San Francisco is nice and would be best for my field of study, but it's way too expensive
-Los Angeles is nice as well, but the sprawl, bad traffic & worse transit system would make it a pain to get around.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:01 AM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times
SEATTLE!

Oops, it's not among the options.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 AM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times
Default btw, if there was going to be a 6th choice....

Which should it be --

Seattle? Miami? Boston? Philly? Dallas? Houston? Atlanta?

Old 01-05-2018, 11:44 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
According to the list I'd do it in this order

DC > Chicago > LA > New York > SF

Old 01-05-2018, 12:08 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
NY>Chicago/DC>SF>LA

Old 01-06-2018, 08:25 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I did/am doing LA and NYC. I think I'd go with Chicago/DC though I'm not sure I'd be able to do my line of work in either place, so I'd probably have to do something entirely separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City