Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most fun cities to spend your 20s and young adult life in.
New York City 18 50.00%
Los Angeles 10 27.78%
Chicago 11 30.56%
Philadelphia 4 11.11%
Phoenix 1 2.78%
San Diego 2 5.56%
Dallas 1 2.78%
Austin 4 11.11%
San Francisco 8 22.22%
Indianapolis 0 0%
Charlotte 0 0%
Houston 1 2.78%
Seattle 4 11.11%
Denver 1 2.78%
Washington DC 2 5.56%
Boston 4 11.11%
Nashville 1 2.78%
Atlanta 5 13.89%
New Orleans 4 11.11%
Las Vegas 3 8.33%
Miami 5 13.89%
Minneapolis 2 5.56%
Louisville 0 0%
Kansas City 0 0%
Other - city is not on the list 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2017, 11:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,528 times

Advertisements

Adding in young adult as well since it seems like you can have fun up to the age of 35 though I honestly think after 30, it becomes tough to have fun in regards to party culture of that city.

So for the 20 somethings who haven't lost their party demon from college but don't want to be that 25 year old who is hanging out at frat parties, it's good to be in a city where you can make some fun friends in their 20s, go out for some drinks, enjoy fun events, meet a ton of fun loving younger people, and have a great time.

Similarly, for 20 somethings who just want to avoid the stressful family life of being parents and getting married, instead just have a great time and meet others like them, this thread is for them.

By those standard, what are the most fun cities to spend your 20s in and why?

Poll coming up soon.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:34 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,192,487 times
Default Here's my take

Vegas, Miami, and New Orleans are the obvious ones. The top tier party/nightlife cities.

Then NYC right behind them
And Chicago after NYC

I also voted for LA and SF even though I don't think those cities have the best nightlife, mainly because of the early last call, but I do think the culture, and the type of people that you're describing are definitely prevalent there.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:59 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,083,316 times
I'd assume New Orleans, NYC, Chicago, LA, and Miami.
I would imagine Vegas would get old.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:00 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,212,967 times
As someone who's 21, my choices would be (in no particular order after Philadelphia):

Philadelphia
New York City
Boston
San Francisco
Washington, D.C.
Chicago

Those are the only cities that I could see myself spending my 20s (and the rest of my life, as I don't want to live in the suburbs). These cities are dense, urban, walkable, bikeable, and have great public transit. Personally, Philadelphia comes out at #1 for me due to the diversity of housing stock. I love rowhomes and highrises, but if the future wifey ever wanted a bigger house with a garage, I could always move somewhere in Northwest Philly.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:13 PM

992 posts, read 865,178 times
#1 Los Angeles
#2 Washington, DC
#3 New York City
#4 San Francisco
#5 Chicago
#6 Miami
#7 Boston
#8 Philadelphia

Old 02-19-2017, 11:47 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,214,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Vegas, Miami, and New Orleans are the obvious ones. The top tier party/nightlife cities.

Then NYC right behind them
And Chicago after NYC

I also voted for LA and SF even though I don't think those cities have the best nightlife, mainly because of the early last call, but I do think the culture, and the type of people that you're describing are definitely prevalent there.
NOLA and Vegas are fun, but I wouldn't place them at the top of my list. Compared to many of the cities on the list they are somewhat one dimensional both are great late night party cities but don't offer as many other things to do. Vegas isn't so much a 20 somethings town as it is a party town. NOLA while unique still has a weak economy.

I think Boston would be a really great city for your 20s, one of my buddies moved home to Boston after college and I visit him pretty frequently. One thing I would say about Boston is while it is fun and has lots of stuff to do for young people, I'm always a little let down with their bar scene. The whole "Going out" experience falls pretty short of Dallas, Austin and Houston, which have better bar districts and a higher concentration of attractive people.

Speaking of Dallas I would throw it out there as one of the best places for a 20 something, the city's urbanity has improved enormously in the 7 years I have lived here. Uptown has really filled in, Deep Ellum has transformed. It obviously isn't NYC or Chicago, but despite Dallas getting more "Expensive" I still only pay about $1650 for a two bedroom (before electric/water) and live literally across the street from the American Airlines Center. That makes NHL, NBAl and 10-15 bars and restaurants, dry cleaning, CVS etc, all within a 5-7 min walk. Within a 10 min uber there are literally hundreds of bars, restaurants, art galleries etc.

My point is Dallas is still affordable for what it offers, has an above average bar scene and a ton of beautiful people from all over the place.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:50 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,214,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
As someone who's 21, my choices would be (in no particular order after Philadelphia):

Philadelphia
New York City
Boston
San Francisco
Washington, D.C.
Chicago

Those are the only cities that I could see myself spending my 20s (and the rest of my life, as I don't want to live in the suburbs). These cities are dense, urban, walkable, bikeable, and have great public transit. Personally, Philadelphia comes out at #1 for me due to the diversity of housing stock. I love rowhomes and highrises, but if the future wifey ever wanted a bigger house with a garage, I could always move somewhere in Northwest Philly.
What keeps Seattle and Portland off that list? both are very walk-able/bike-able have great transit etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.