Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 11:23 AM

37,139 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Can we add Canada to this list? Because Montreal (aside from NYC) takes the cake.
Canada’s inclusion would put Montreal at a firm number 2, Vancouver at about 5 or 6, and Toronto around 7 or 8, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yeah, I'd agree. The green line in Boston is just a disaster.

Chicago and DC are tops on this list, and then everyone else.
Well, the Green Line is light rail. It’s undergoing an extension now, and has gone through steady improvement by eliminating some really closely spaced stations. With the extension, the D branch will now also go to Lechmere and beyond which means a few stations in downtown will also see greater service frequencies and more D branch riders will have one seat rides. It’s pretty crazy how long this thing is taking to get built from when it was initially projected to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I can't believe San Francisco made the list and even ranked higher than LA. Their "subway" which is just segments of the Muni and BART going underground is a joke!
It’s not great, but it’s still among the best in the US. Which is pretty sad. LA loses points because its coverage is pretty bad given the size of its metro and the current disjoint between its light rail segments. It’s undergoing massive, for the US, expansions though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 11:25 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Let's pretend NYC doesn't exist for a moment. What is the best Subway system in the country?

Please rate these systems with #1 being the best and #9 being the worst. Say why #1 is better than the others and why #9 is worst than the others:
  • Atlanta
  • Boston
  • Baltimore
  • Chicago
  • Cleveland
  • Philadelphia
  • Washington DC
  • SF
  • LA
Chicago for me!! To me it's the only one that really reminds me of NY's System and they have 24hr service on some lines. After that I will go with D.C. in spite it having the most coverage I would still keep Chicago as my top contender. Honorable Mentions are definitely, SEPTA in Philly, Boston then BART follows.. All others just don't compare to me..

Old 10-30-2017, 11:51 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Chicago, easily.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:01 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, the Green Line is light rail. It’s undergoing an extension now, and has gone through steady improvement by eliminating some really closely spaced stations. With the extension, the D branch will now also go to Lechmere and beyond which means a few stations in downtown will also see greater service frequencies and more D branch riders will have one seat rides. It’s pretty crazy how long this thing is taking to get built from when it was initially projected to finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The Green line is a glorified bus. Frequently walking is faster.

The Red line also breaks down almost every morning rush hour.
Yep. Lived on the B line for years and walked way more frequently than grabbing the T. Don't miss those days of waiting long periods out in the cold for a train, only to find it bursting at the seems with people by the time it arrived.

Love, love, love Boston, but felt the opposite towards the Green line.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:47 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Canada’s inclusion would put Montreal at a firm number 2, Vancouver at about 5 or 6, and Toronto around 7 or 8, I think.
I think it’s weird that Toronto is the largest city in Canada (and by a decent margin) but has the smallest subway system out of the big 3 Canadian cities. I know that a lot of it’s growth has been pretty recent, but it still never made sense to me. It’s still better than most American cities though. I would put Toronto’s subway somewhere on par with Philly’s.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:53 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I think it’s weird that Toronto is the largest city in Canada (and by a decent margin) but has the smallest subway system out of the big 3 Canadian cities. I know that a lot of it’s growth has been pretty recent, but it still never made sense to me. It’s still better than most American cities though. I would put Toronto’s subway somewhere on par with Philly’s.
Toronto has street-cars, though. Over all, they have good rail transit.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:02 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Toronto has street-cars, though. Over all, they have good rail transit.
They do have a lot of street cars, and other forms of light rail too, but I’m not really sure what makes streetcars functionally different from buses though? And I don’t think there’s any denying that Rapid Transit is more efficient.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:05 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
my family from the red line in boston had to go to a week long trip to logan. 5 of us with checked-in baggage had to go from the red line to green at park st / go one stop to switch to the blue at government center on 3 crowded trains.

we took a cab back on the way home (worth the $20 bucks back then).
Next time take the red line to South Station and switch to the silver line. That would have been much faster.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:43 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The Green line is a glorified bus. Frequently walking is faster.

The Red line also breaks down almost every morning rush hour.
Doesn't mean it should be discounted out of a conversation around comprehensive and integrated public transit. Not all modes of transit HAS to be subway subway subway. In many cities, light rail/trams/streetcars work just fine and are a fraction of the implementation and operating cost. A subway easily costs anywhere between $400 million to $2 billion / mile to build - there aren't many cities on this continent that can put up with that kind of upfront capital expenditure not to mention years, if not decades, of construction and implementation time.

NYC's newest subway line - the 8.5-mile 2nd avenue line - is projected to cost more than $17 billion USD. That is more than $2 billion per mile, and NYC, being the richest municipality on the continent, is already having funding difficulties. https://www.citylab.com/transportati...e-anymore/456/

Old 10-31-2017, 06:46 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
They do have a lot of street cars, and other forms of light rail too, but I’m not really sure what makes streetcars functionally different from buses though? And I don’t think there’s any denying that Rapid Transit is more efficient.
Four out of 11 streetcars have fully separated right of way making them faster than conventional traffic. Another line is partially underground. The newest Line 5 Crosstown LRT is also underground. And finally, the 504 King Streetcar Line is due to be upgraded with fully separated right of way starting November 12 (the city has implemented a pedestrian and street-car only zone for King Street therefore removing all automobile traffic).

Lastly, Toronto's Bombardier Flexity Streetcars have a capacity of 350 passengers per train, while a low-floor conventional city bus has a capacity to seat 46 passengers and another 31 standing passengers. Streetcars essentially have a capacity of 500% of a conventional city bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City