U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:39 AM

20,672 posts, read 22,247,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Shall we assume the OP is just talking about heavy rail and high quality LRT (not regional rail) within the MSA to make things simpler?
Or maybe rail overall, but adjust for frequencies. BART's odd in that it's a combination of rapid transit and commuter rail. It's basically a fairly high frequency commuter rail service OR low frequency rapid transit when it's not interlined. When it's interlined with three or more lines, then it becomes like standard rapid transit kind of service such as some parts of Oakland and all of San Francisco--though that changes on later (not even that late) weeknights and Sundays where service really gets curtailed and the lines are run quite differently where. Meanwhile, Philadelphia's two main rapid transit service lines are quite long and each has the kind of service levels that the three/four line interlined parts of BART have, so that's a lot more stations being served with those sort of frequency levels in Philadelphia--and then there's PATCO Speedline which is a third line not managed by SEPTA which also has pretty decent frequency. The two SEPTA rapid transit services get 24 hour service for Friday and Saturday overnights which is nice and PATCO is 24/7. Meanwhile, BART becomes the below with pretty middling frequencies (along with the loss of some interlining) after 7 pm and on Sundays:

With that, trips from, let's say visiting friends in the Mission and trying to get back to Berkeley means waiting for an okay frequency train to 19th st or MacArthur and waiting for another lesser frequency train to complete the trip. I don't think that's great. Certainly not terrible, but not great, especially for something decently early since 7 pm is pretty early to be switching things up for evening service.

Meanwhile SEPTA's Regional Rail lines are actually all electrified and have pretty good daytime frequencies on weekdays and its more interlined portions often have as good a frequency as single or double-lined BART stations, so it's in some ways also up for consideration.

Overall, I found Philadelphia's system better though hanging on to the token system for so longer was weird.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-02-2017 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 10:32 AM

15,404 posts, read 24,654,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
With that, trips from, let's say visiting friends in the Mission and trying to get back to Berkeley means waiting for an okay frequency train to 19th st or MacArthur and waiting for another lesser frequency train to complete the trip. I don't think that's great. Certainly not terrible, but not great, especially for something decently early since 7 pm is pretty early to be switching things up for evening service.
Those transfers are timed and you don't have to wait.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Those transfers are timed and you don't have to wait.
Those transfers are supposed to be timed. I have definitely seen that timing not work out in my favor.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Those transfers are supposed to be timed. I have definitely seen that timing not work out in my favor.
Likely caused by a significant delay on one of the lines, but the vast majority of the time the trains get there at the same time so there is no waiting. Either that or you transferred at the wrong station, 19th St is for northbound transfers and MacArthur is for southbound transfers. I did that one time when I didn't realize they had implemented that change.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:06 AM

20,472 posts, read 28,797,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Let's pretend NYC doesn't exist for a moment. What is the best Subway system in the country?

Please rate these systems with #1 being the best and #9 being the worst. Say why #1 is better than the others and why #9 is worst than the others:
  • Atlanta
  • Boston
  • Baltimore
  • Chicago
  • Cleveland
  • Philadelphia
  • Washington DC
  • SF
  • LA
To clarify the OP is asking about the best subway system which by definition would allude to BELOW GROUND mass transit. Since a few of these systems mentioned do not have below ground service perhaps one should focus on service within the city core versus regional rail service. If that's the case would ranks as follows:

1. DC
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. SF
6. Cleveland
7. Baltimore
8. Atlanta
9. LA

I'm basing my rankings on relative proportion of coverage to the city proper at large.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Likely caused by a significant delay on one of the lines, but the vast majority of the time the trains get there at the same time so there is no waiting. Either that or you transferred at the wrong station, 19th St is for northbound transfers and MacArthur is for southbound transfers. I did that one time when I didn't realize they had implemented that change.
Yes, and I've met the delay more than once. I had been transferring at the right places. It's not awful as it seems to have worked most times.

You reckon they'll change things up much once the South Bay expansion happens? I'd imagine they might want at least one interlining during evenings and Sundays once they reach downtown San Jose--have any details been released about how'd they'd change operations?

Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, and I've met the delay more than once. I had been transferring at the right places. It's not awful as it seems to have worked most times.

You reckon they'll change things up much once the South Bay expansion happens? I'd imagine they might want at least one interlining during evenings and Sundays once they reach downtown San Jose--have any details been released about how'd they'd change operations?
I doubt much will change as the current extension really isn't anything that drastic, just 3 more suburban station. Extending to Downtown San Jose is so far away so I doubt any service changes are even being thought of yet.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:36 PM

3,717 posts, read 1,925,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To clarify the OP is asking about the best subway system which by definition would allude to BELOW GROUND mass transit. Since a few of these systems mentioned do not have below ground service perhaps one should focus on service within the city core versus regional rail service. If that's the case would ranks as follows:

1. DC
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. SF
6. Cleveland
7. Baltimore
8. Atlanta
9. LA

I'm basing my rankings on relative proportion of coverage to the city proper at large.
Seattle has underground light rail in the downtown, in fact it's the only place in the world where buses and lightrail share the same stations.

http://transportblog.co.nz/wp-conten...sit-Tunnel.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downto...Transit_Tunnel

The link light rail has 7 stations underground.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Link#Stations

Though that being said Seattle probably is at the bottom of the list since it's not as extensive as the other cities.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:41 PM

8,003 posts, read 7,011,948 times
People who rate Boston highly have probably only ever been here as a tourist and used it to go from their hotel at Park Street either to Fenway Park or to Harvard and back on a summer weekend or something. Try living here and being dependent on it.

You're better off walking.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:48 PM

837 posts, read 676,230 times
I think it's fair to say that DC and Chicago are the only cities where you can live without using a car easily thanks to heavy rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or