U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 02:56 PM

20,647 posts, read 22,192,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
People who rate Boston highly have probably only ever been here as a tourist and used it to go from their hotel at Park Street either to Fenway Park or to Harvard and back on a summer weekend or something. Try living here and being dependent on it.

You're better off walking.
I don't think the rankings are so much about how great the mass transit system of Boston is so much as it is how underwhelming the vast majority of mass transit systems in US cities are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 03:04 PM

2,153 posts, read 948,490 times
1. Chicago
2. Washington DC

Gap

3. SF
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston

Gap

6. LA

Gap

7. Atlanta
8.Baltimore
9. Cleveland

If you added light rail Dallas would fall somewhere above Cleveland, probably above Atlanta for shear size.

Boston is a great walking city, but the Trains are really not that great. Luckily the city is small geographically. San Francisco while better than Boston is only so so. Philadelphia has great coverage, arguably better than Boston.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:09 PM

429 posts, read 286,327 times
A significant (and soon to be growing) portion of Seattle's light rail system is in a subway. All the way from South of Downtown, through downtown, Capitol Hill, UW, U District, Roosevelt and emerging up in Northgate. There is also a second yet-to-be built tunnel that will also go through downtown and tunnel up through South Lake Union and Queen Anne, before emerging and traveling completely elevated (grade-separated) to Ballard. Overall, the vast majority of the existing and to-be-built Seattle rail network is underground or completely grade-separated. Even though the technology is light rail the form more typically resembles a metro-style heavy rail, and the stations are built out like a heavy rail system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDe_xEcbtVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oXJKH6fpZs

I'm not sure why that wouldn't be considered a subway.

Last edited by Edward234; 03-02-2017 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 03:25 PM

8,003 posts, read 6,993,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
1. Chicago
2. Washington DC

Gap

3. SF
4. Philadelphia
5. Boston

Gap

6. LA

Gap

7. Atlanta
8.Baltimore
9. Cleveland

If you added light rail Dallas would fall somewhere above Cleveland, probably above Atlanta for shear size.

Boston is a great walking city, but the Trains are really not that great. Luckily the city is small geographically. San Francisco while better than Boston is only so so. Philadelphia has great coverage, arguably better than Boston.
I'd put Cleveland at 6 to be honest. Have you actually used it?

Old 03-02-2017, 03:45 PM

2,153 posts, read 948,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'd put Cleveland at 6 to be honest. Have you actually used it?
I Honestly have not. I have also not used the LA one, but by looking at the two maps LA seems like a much larger system, then again it it is a much larger city.

Have you used them both? How do they compare?

Old 03-02-2017, 04:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 1,114,311 times
I'm assuming OP means heavy rail rapid transit and not underground buses, commuter rail, or light rail.

It's between Chicago and DC for #1 and #2

3. Boston (probably has next best coverage)
4. Philly (big plus for 24 hour lines)
5. San Francisco (coverage in the city is poor but has decent access to outside areas)
6. Atlanta
7. LA
8. Cleveland
9. Baltimore (it's just one line)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think the rankings are so much about how great the mass transit system of Boston is so much as it is how underwhelming the vast majority of mass transit systems in US cities are.
This is exactly it. The standards are set extremely low.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:26 PM

992 posts, read 517,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I'm assuming OP means heavy rail rapid transit and not underground buses, commuter rail, or light rail.

It's between Chicago and DC for #1 and #2

3. Boston (probably has next best coverage)
4. Philly (big plus for 24 hour lines)
5. San Francisco (coverage in the city is poor but has decent access to outside areas)
6. Atlanta
7. LA
8. Cleveland
9. Baltimore (it's just one line.)
LA does not belong below Atlanta.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 PM

429 posts, read 286,327 times
Quote:
But why make that distinction based on the technology? In Seattle you will have a system that when built out will have 112 miles that will be almost entirely grade-separated - either underground or elevated - and has large stations that resemble metro stations more than a typical light rail stop. It already has significantly higher ridership than Cleveland or Baltimore currently and when built out is anticipated to carry over 600k riders a day. 4 car trains running every 3-5 minutes have the type of capacity that is closer to matching heavy rail than typical light rail. Take a look at the videos and tell me those don't seem like a subway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDe_xEcbtVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oXJKH6fpZs

Last edited by Edward234; 03-02-2017 at 05:43 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 05:55 PM

2,696 posts, read 1,760,089 times
Quote:
You assumed right.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:59 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,623,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
LA does not belong below Atlanta.
Since the OP clarified they are just referring to Heavy Rail it kind of does. Most of LA's Metro rail system is light rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or