Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 05:47 PM

307 posts, read 326,195 times

Advertisements

NYC of course, how is this even a question for the masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 06:36 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,208,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Woah, good thing you don't live on the East coast these days! It's a wonderful place. Not Vegas...but the East coast. Totally livable. For the most part nothing on the West is appealing.
I have over 35 years on the east coast and mid west. Over 40 in the west. Over much of the adult period I traveled weekly between the two.

Do you have similar exposure? Those of course who have only lived on the east coast have no idea what the west is like other than eastern stereotypes.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:19 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,327,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I have over 35 years on the east coast and mid west. Over 40 in the west. Over much of the adult period I traveled weekly between the two.

Do you have similar exposure? Those of course who have only lived on the east coast have no idea what the west is like other than eastern stereotypes.
Lived in LA for a bit, otherwise lived on the East coast and other countries. Was just pointing out that you calling the East unlivable is absurd. It's OK to like where you live, but unlivable? Really?

Old 03-04-2017, 08:33 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,333,998 times
Absolutely no comparison as a place to live. Las Vegas wins by a huge margin.
Less traffic, better weather, way lower cost of living, smaller size thus more liveable, great scenery, great outdoor activities, some of the best shows and restaurants in the world, many stores open 24 hours. Someone said they can get bored in Las Vegas? Sure, if you never leave your home!

I can drive less than an hour away from LV and its me and the cacti or an 11000 ft high mountain with a ski resort! Utah and its great national parks is nearby. Wide and I mean wide open spaces just to the north of the Las Vegas metro area which are great for outdoor fun and motorcycle riding. The California beaches are 4-5 hours away for a weekend getaway. Contrary to popular belief we do have museums and a center for performing arts.
LV has next to nothing as far as natural disasters.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 03-04-2017 at 08:52 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 08:55 PM

594 posts, read 693,192 times
Vegas by a desert mile !
The scenery alone wins this in a Trump landslide.
Tall buildings are great to see once and then you're full, whereas natural scenery keeps you coming back for more.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:00 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,327,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Absolutely no comparison as a place to live.
Depends what you're after. I absolutely love living car free, so obviously Vegas wouldn't work there. Both places can be great. If you want a slower pace, then yeah Vegas.

For me, it's NYC by a huge margin.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:34 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,373,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Vegas by a desert mile !
The scenery alone wins this in a Trump landslide.
Tall buildings are great to see once and then you're full, whereas natural scenery keeps you coming back for more.
That's not a very big landslide!

Old 03-09-2017, 04:45 AM

23,059 posts, read 28,770,326 times
I love museums and Las Vegas doesn't even have a full-fledged museum, and probably never will.

I hate driving/owning a car, and Las Vegas has no light rail, no subway, and never will, as our taxi unions, which employ some 9,000 drivers, stand opposed to it.

Recall Las Vegas was originally a Mormon settlement and, in many ways, it still is, a highly conservative city, beneath the neon/glitter. Google conservative cities in the country, 250,000+, and you'll see where Las Vegas ranks, a notch more conservative than even Phoenix!

Las Vegas' average annual wind speed is around 9.2MPH (6.2MPH in Phoenix & L.A.) and the winds here, at times, can blow you right into Lake Mead. In winter, there's wind chill, as well, Brrrrrrr!

Pluses are the low humidity, the wrap around mountain scenery (gorgeous in mid-winter with the snow) and the cheap airfares to anywhere, which is absolutely necessary, to surviving here.

I grew up in MN, spent years in Minneapolis, and I'm used to living in a liberal city, so the liberalness of NYC would be worth it alone!

Old 03-09-2017, 03:20 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,674,178 times
Vegas is a unique eight mile strip of clubs, entertainment, food and beautiful hotels. New York is a CITY full of that and then some! No comparison.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:39 PM

16 posts, read 10,425 times
Well based on the criteria it isn't so cut and dry. If you're a pure hedonist Vegas has everything you're looking for in a 4 mile strip - and your moeny will go further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City