Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best southern mid-tier city
Louisville 0 0%
Austin 2 3.64%
Nashville 13 23.64%
Richmond 11 20.00%
Hampton Roads Virginia 3 5.45%
Charlotte 11 20.00%
Raleigh-Durham 5 9.09%
Orlando 2 3.64%
Tampa-St.Petersburg 1 1.82%
New Orleans 4 7.27%
Memphis 2 3.64%
San Antonio 1 1.82%
Greensboro-Winston Salem 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:52 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times

Advertisements

I want to do a study on southern metro are growth in major cities. However I want to do this while leaving the big boys out, Atlanta, Houston, Miami etc. I am wondering which one has

1. The Best job Market
2. The best bang for your buck
3. The best scenery
4. The best transportation (both by car and public)
5. The best culture
6. The best potential for future growth
7. The best government
8. The most stable economy
9. The best housing
10. THe most green space
11. The one you would want to move to the most
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 07:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I would pick San Antonio.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
1. The Best job Market: Austin
2. The best bang for your buck: Austin/Nashville/New Orleans
3. The best scenery: Austin/Tampa
4. The best transportation (both by car and public): Probably a wash
5. The best culture: New Orleans
6. The best potential for future growth: Austin/Nashville/Raleigh-Durham
7. The best government: IDK
8. The most stable economy: IDK
9. The best housing: New Orleans
10. THe most green space: Austin?
11. The one you would want to move to the most: New Orleans

Old 03-07-2017, 07:07 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
2. The best bang for your buck: New Orleans
3. The best scenery: Tampa
4. The best transportation (both by car and public): Hahaha
5. The best culture: Austin
6. The best potential for future growth: Nashville
7. The best government: Austin
8. The most stable economy: Nashville
9. The best housing: Nashville
10. The most green space: New Orleans
11. The one you would want to move to the most: None

Old 03-07-2017, 05:32 PM

570 posts, read 559,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
2. The best bang for your buck: New Orleans
4. The best transportation (both by car and public): Hahaha
5. The best culture: Austin
6. The best potential for future growth: Nashville
7. The best government: Austin
8. The most stable economy: Nashville
9. The best housing: Nashville
10. The most green space: New Orleans
11. The one you would want to move to the most: None
I thought you would have picked Nashville for scenery.
Although Tampa with it's white sand and blue water is nice. I used to live just south of there near Ft. Myers which I enjoyed for the most part. Great beaches and beautiful women everywhere.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
I thought you would have picked Nashville for scenery.
Although Tampa with it's white sand and blue water is nice. I used to live just south of there near Ft. Myers which I enjoyed for the most part. Great beaches and beautiful women everywhere.
I almost did. It is pretty hard to beat the beach! I haven't beeen down to Sarasota since 2014. I bet the new mall is doing well down there. This woman needs a vacation!

Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 PM

992 posts, read 875,028 times
2. The best bang for your buck: Austin/Nashville/New Orleans/Richmond
4. The best transportation (both by car and public): Richmond/New Orleans/Charlotte
5. The best culture: New Orleans
6. The best potential for future growth: Austin/Nashville/Raleigh-Durham/Charlotte
7. The best government: Richmond?
8. The most stable economy: Charlotte
9. The best housing: New Orleans
10. The most green space: New Orleans?
11. The one you would want to move to the most: Richmond or Charlotte or New Orleans

Old 03-08-2017, 04:12 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I want to do a study on southern metro are growth in major cities. However I want to do this while leaving the big boys out, Atlanta, Houston, Miami etc. I am wondering which one has

1. The Best job Market
2. The best bang for your buck
3. The best scenery
4. The best transportation (both by car and public)
5. The best culture
6. The best potential for future growth
7. The best government
8. The most stable economy
9. The best housing
10. THe most green space
11. The one you would want to move to the most
1. The cities creating the most jobs right now, in order, are Orlando, Jacksonville, Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, and San Antonio. The cities with the lowest unemployment rates right now, in order, are Austin, San Antonio, Nashville, Louisville, Richmond...I guess on balance, Nashville and San Antonio have the best job markets right now...

2. How are we defining this?

3. Too subjective. For me, it's the upper Southeast in general, but this is a loaded question based too much on preference...

4. Charlotte has the best transportation, hands down. Amtrak, highways, air, public transit. It's Charlotte and it's not particularly close. There would be a logjam after Charlotte...

5. Another loaded question. For me, I am not high on Texas culture at all, so automatically anything in Texas is out. I'm kinder to Tennessee but not very high on that state, either. Cultural amenities are fairly even across clusters of these cities, it just depends what you are looking for. I prefer the large cities of the upper Southeast (Virginia, North Carolina, probably Louisville) local culture to anywhere else in the South, by a wide margin, but that doesn't mean it's "better" than anywhere else. Impossible question to answer...

6. The projections favor Orlando way ahead of anyone else, but the Top 5 in future job growth as currently projected (in order) would go Orlando, Jacksonville, Austin, Tampa, and Richmond. This is as currently projected, which most economists predict a major boom in Richmond getting ready to take place within a few years, and the boom in Florida to continue to grow. Orlando by a very wide margin, though...interesting to note the projected slow down of the boomtowns of the past two decades in North Carolina and Nashville...

7. The best local government would probably best be measured by cities consistently getting goals accomplished? Hard to measure here, not familiar with everyone's government, but generally the two large NC metros have very good leadership...

8. Most stable economy? How are we measuring this?

9. How are we measuring this? If it's by home price change, is it by new home building, is it by median home price, is it by housing diversity? Loaded question...

10. Southern cities typically are not as strong in this category as NE, Western, or Midwestern cities, but the list would probably favor Tampa, Hampton Roads, New Orleans, Austin, and Richmond. Tough question but this is probably a pretty good guess...

11. I live in Richmond, it's my default hometown, and would be Top 5 on my places to live anywhere. So, excluding Richmond, my Top 5 in order would probably be Charlotte, Raleigh, Norfolk, Orlando, and Tampa. If I lived in Florida I'd absolutely live in Orlando or Tampa. I love the culture and the atmosphere. I've lived in Charlotte and would do so again in a heartbeat. I probably have a move to Raleigh imminent this summer (my girlfriend is from there), and it's a city I've grown to appreciate more in the last year and a half. I'll be in Norfolk all day tomorrow and that's a city that I'll always have a soft spot for...

Old 03-08-2017, 10:47 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
1. The cities creating the most jobs right now, in order, are Orlando, Jacksonville, Nashville, Raleigh-Durham, and San Antonio. The cities with the lowest unemployment rates right now, in order, are Austin, San Antonio, Nashville, Louisville, Richmond...I guess on balance, Nashville and San Antonio have the best job markets right now...

2. How are we defining this?

3. Too subjective. For me, it's the upper Southeast in general, but this is a loaded question based too much on preference...

4. Charlotte has the best transportation, hands down. Amtrak, highways, air, public transit. It's Charlotte and it's not particularly close. There would be a logjam after Charlotte...

5. Another loaded question. For me, I am not high on Texas culture at all, so automatically anything in Texas is out. I'm kinder to Tennessee but not very high on that state, either. Cultural amenities are fairly even across clusters of these cities, it just depends what you are looking for. I prefer the large cities of the upper Southeast (Virginia, North Carolina, probably Louisville) local culture to anywhere else in the South, by a wide margin, but that doesn't mean it's "better" than anywhere else. Impossible question to answer...

6. The projections favor Orlando way ahead of anyone else, but the Top 5 in future job growth as currently projected (in order) would go Orlando, Jacksonville, Austin, Tampa, and Richmond. This is as currently projected, which most economists predict a major boom in Richmond getting ready to take place within a few years, and the boom in Florida to continue to grow. Orlando by a very wide margin, though...interesting to note the projected slow down of the boomtowns of the past two decades in North Carolina and Nashville...

7. The best local government would probably best be measured by cities consistently getting goals accomplished? Hard to measure here, not familiar with everyone's government, but generally the two large NC metros have very good leadership...

8. Most stable economy? How are we measuring this?

9. How are we measuring this? If it's by home price change, is it by new home building, is it by median home price, is it by housing diversity? Loaded question...

10. Southern cities typically are not as strong in this category as NE, Western, or Midwestern cities, but the list would probably favor Tampa, Hampton Roads, New Orleans, Austin, and Richmond. Tough question but this is probably a pretty good guess...

11. I live in Richmond, it's my default hometown, and would be Top 5 on my places to live anywhere. So, excluding Richmond, my Top 5 in order would probably be Charlotte, Raleigh, Norfolk, Orlando, and Tampa. If I lived in Florida I'd absolutely live in Orlando or Tampa. I love the culture and the atmosphere. I've lived in Charlotte and would do so again in a heartbeat. I probably have a move to Raleigh imminent this summer (my girlfriend is from there), and it's a city I've grown to appreciate more in the last year and a half. I'll be in Norfolk all day tomorrow and that's a city that I'll always have a soft spot for...
Fore best housing I'm talking more about variety of styles of homes (newer, older, town homes, condos mcmansions etc) for economy I'm thinking which is the least likely to crash.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:51 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
The Triangle and Nashville have the most stable economies, being built on their universities, healthcare, and government. Austin is a close third and I'd probably put Richmond fourth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City