Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

I think most Denverites (residents of the entire metro) say "Colorado" when out of state. And we love it, as the map shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 07:33 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Pennsylvania.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:12 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Def Pennsylvania. When I moved out of the Philadelphia area and I tell people I'm from PA I have to always explain that not all of PA is a rural backwoods state.

Very frustrating because people who live in NYC apparently don't realize that New York state is no different that Pennsylvania once you leave the major metro areas.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Def Pennsylvania. When I moved out of the Philadelphia area and I tell people I'm from PA I have to always explain that not all of PA is a rural backwoods state.

Very frustrating because people who live in NYC apparently don't realize that New York state is no different that Pennsylvania once you leave the major metro areas.
I'm a Pennsylvania native (Pittsburgh area) and I agree. We were just talking about this a few days ago. PA is considered the "country cousin" of the mid-Atlantic states.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 AM

686 posts, read 621,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
People in NYC don't think there is much of anything between NYC and LA.

Upstate is so beautiful (in parts) and is a completely different world.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
People in NYC don't think there is much of anything between NYC and LA.

Upstate is so beautiful (in parts) and is a completely different world.
I absolutely loved visiting the Adirondacks in October. The drive down I 88 to Binghamton was great as well with all the fall colors.

I wonder how this boils down in terms of cities vs rural areas. A lot of people I know in metro Atlanta want nothing to do with Georgia. Considering metro Atlanta is something like half the population, that could skew that ranking down a bit.

While I loved my time in Texas for 4 years for college, I hated all the Texas pride. It went past a neat culture of pride to just obnoxious ignorance.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:55 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Well that's what I mean.
California, texas, florida, georgia, etc DO claim their states in half their conversations even when living within the metro of a city.
There's an interesting, weird dynamic when it comes to metro Atlanta involving this topic. I have met plenty of people from up there who would rather just say they are from "Atlanta" "ATL" or "The A" before they say Georgia, and many of them love to say negative things or belittle/downplay the rest of the state.............BUT at the same time I also know of many who do mention Georgia proudly and even still like to identify with "Southern" traits. I'm guessing most of the negative attitudes about the "rest" of Georgia I get come from Northeastern transplants.

How proud or not someone in metro Atlanta would be to claim "Georgia" and not just " Atlanta" can radically change from one extreme to the next depending on the person. I guess it comes down to Transplant Vs. actually being from a family that's been here for generations.

Example, I can show you some white guys in Metro ATL right outside Conyers or somewhere like that who are 100% proud Country Boy, Georgia Rednecks. I can show you some non-transplant blacks in South Fulton, South Dekalb, Bankhead, etc, who proudly know and acknowledge being Southerners from "GA" as much as they acknowledge being from "Atlanta"

To the contrary, I can just as easily find someone who'd have you believe it's nothing but dirt roads and kkk members outside of Metro ATL and they constantly have to go out of their way to bring up how "different" ATL is from the rest of the state and would never say Georgia, just Atlanta.

So it depends.

Here's an example of one of those extremes. If you look at the opening scenes to the movie "ATL" it shows the city in a light of how many black Atlantans see and identify themselves as southerners who have no problem proudly representing the state as a whole. There are others I run across who wouldn't want Atlanta depicted as "southern" as that opening scene though.

1:09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM7eUQsofKA

Old 03-08-2017, 09:59 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
I didn't find most of the list surprising. Although, I expected CA residents to have more "pride".

Old 03-08-2017, 03:26 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzardsAndSuch View Post
New Jersey has almost no state pride and is overshadowed by NYC and Philly quite a bit.
NJ pride is mostly silent. However, if you rip on NJ towards a native expect to be torn a new ***hole.

There are quite a few that come to mind:
Michigan
Kentucky
Iowa
Nebraska
Nevada

Old 03-08-2017, 07:11 PM

626 posts, read 380,658 times
Southern states are prideful, but also just in their region in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City