U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2017, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,569 posts, read 5,688,125 times
Reputation: 2544

Advertisements

I'm from Chicago and you will never ever hear anyone say they're from Illinois within that northern area.
I don't know if it's just here or what.
But I always hear people saying I'm from Texas or California, Florida, Michigan,New Mex etc, etc.

Any other states where people people dislike mentioning the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2017, 03:47 PM
 
Location: San Diego
559 posts, read 491,794 times
Reputation: 501
People in the Seattle area will never say they are from Washington.
They'll always say they are from Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 03:58 PM
 
Location: New York Metropolitan Area
396 posts, read 212,500 times
Reputation: 397
There was a map showing the percentage of people in every state that think they live in the best state/one of the best

Which U.S. states have the most pride?

I disagree with some, however. It shows that New Mexico and New Jersey are pretty low, but I found people from both states to LOVE where they are from. I lived in New Jersey for several years and people love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 04:01 PM
 
426 posts, read 327,179 times
Reputation: 222
I am from New Mexico , most residents may bash their state because New Mexico has alot of problems and we all know this but New Mexicans take alot of pride in their state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 04:31 PM
 
54 posts, read 34,434 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
LOL at cali. I guess when you have the crap taxed out of you, you start to lose a bit of pride. Runs pretty contrary to the cali homerism prevalent on CD.

New Hampshire/Vermont is pretty interesting, and I did notice from my time in that region that people are happy with their culture and life.

New Jersey has almost no state pride and is overshadowed by NYC and Philly quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 05:40 PM
 
6,902 posts, read 3,578,348 times
Reputation: 7110
People from cities that matter tend not to care about states (Texas and California cities being the lone exceptions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,569 posts, read 5,688,125 times
Reputation: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
There was a map showing the percentage of people in every state that think they live in the best state/one of the best

Which U.S. states have the most pride?

I disagree with some, however. It shows that New Mexico and New Jersey are pretty low, but I found people from both states to LOVE where they are from. I lived in New Jersey for several years and people love it.
wow!
So I wasn't crazy when I noticed the lack of state pride here.
We're basically tied with Rhode Island for least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Olympia, WA
994 posts, read 530,373 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
People in the Seattle area will never say they are from Washington.
They'll always say they are from Seattle.
Well to be fair Seattle is recognizable. For instance, if you talk to someone on the east coast, and say you are from Washington they may (often will) will confuse it for D.C. But people know Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Lil Rhodey
618 posts, read 372,393 times
Reputation: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
wow!
So I wasn't crazy when I noticed the lack of state pride here.
We're basically tied with Rhode Island for least.


the thing about RI is that most native Rhode Islanders are such negative nellies about everything. So pessimistic. I grew up here, but after living in other states for a couple of decades I've come to appreciate it for what it offers. Yeah, the economy isn't great right now and col is high (but considering the location in the 95 corridor between Boston and NYC, it could be worse) , the state has come a long way, especially Providence. But old timers still complain about the way things used to be. It seams that most transplants here are the one who rave about it. Great beaches, great food, and location, location, location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2017, 07:43 PM
 
Location: New York Metropolitan Area
396 posts, read 212,500 times
Reputation: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzardsAndSuch View Post
LOL at cali. I guess when you have the crap taxed out of you, you start to lose a bit of pride. Runs pretty contrary to the cali homerism prevalent on CD.

New Hampshire/Vermont is pretty interesting, and I did notice from my time in that region that people are happy with their culture and life.

New Jersey has almost no state pride and is overshadowed by NYC and Philly quite a bit.
I wouldnt say they have no state pride. People especially from the central part of the state/shore areas are very proud of where they live and are proud that the state was able to rebuild after Sandy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top