Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NOVA or NJ?
NOVA 26 72.22%
NJ 4 11.11%
Both are equally important 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:33 AM

16 posts, read 10,465 times

Advertisements

Both DC and NYC are part of metro areas that primarily span three jurisdictions (both metros have a neglible fourth). DC has VA and MD, while NYC has NJ and CT. In the DMV, VA is clearly the stronger jurisdiction over MD to DC, as is NJ over CT in the NYC Tri-State Area.

But which is more integral to their city? NJ to NYC or NOVA to DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 09:43 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,052 posts, read 7,437,725 times
In terms of economy/business (not culture) NOVA is more intergral. Much of the DC MSA's strength and economic power comes from Northern Virginia. Which by itself is about 2.8 million of a 6 million MSA. Both of DC's two immediate airports are in NOVA, at least half of the Fortune 500's are there as well.

NYC doesn't need NJ for much other than Newark Airport right?

Old 03-09-2017, 10:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,247,583 times
NoVa much more, NYC is one of the more self-contained large cities, with a much larger percent of population and economy within the city. A lot of office jobs are right across the river in Arlington; Jersey City is much smaller of a job center compared to Manhattan.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:49 AM

37,814 posts, read 41,601,817 times
I'm tempted to say NoVA because of all of the office space and jobs located there but I think I might just go with NJ on this one for one major reason: the shared port authority. Too bad I voted for NoVA before that came to mind.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:14 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,207,399 times
NOVA due to the economic ties, the airports owned by the MWAA, and how most of the growth of the DMV area is there. Lots of Marylanders and Washingtonians tend to be VERY resentful of the success and growth of NOVA, and having to endure long commutes to Virginia to their jobs is a painful reminder of this for many. PG County has the same major employers as they did years ago (UMCP, Joint Base Andrews, NSA, NASA Goddard, USDA, Census Bureau) and Montgomery County's biomedical corridor has not been able to keep up with the job centers over in Tysons, Arlington, or the Dulles Corridor over in VA. Culturally, DC and MD have a lot more in common, but NOVA is the economic thorn in their ass that just keeps on ticking.

North Jersey shares the Port Authority with NYC, and has many job centers, but none compare to the behemoth of Downtown and Midtown of Manhattan Island.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:41 AM

16 posts, read 10,465 times
I see the arguments for NOVA . But NJ in my eyes is very integral as well given the sheer volume of traffic and people. And PATH is a beast in terms of what it covers (the world's busiest bridge, second busiest airport system in the world, largest port on the East Coast, ect). You could also argue that NOVA and MD are closer in terms of being important than NJ and CT - CT is clearly the weakest link.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:44 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,200,890 times
I'm gonna go with NOVA, but I think NYC benefits from NJ more than NYers realize or want to admit. I also think NJ is by far the most well-connected suburban area to the city (over LI, Westchester + rockland, and CT)

Old 03-09-2017, 12:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,247,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I'm gonna go with NOVA, but I think NYC benefits from NJ more than NYers realize or want to admit. I also think NJ is by far the most well-connected suburban area to the city (over LI, Westchester + rockland, and CT)
with Hudson River Tunnels? Except for Hoboken and the rest of Hudson County which is closer to NYC than some of the outer boroughs, I'd say Westchester is the best connected to Manhattan; besides less of a water barrier, the train connections are faster in general.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:50 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,091,794 times
NYC within its city limits is much much larger than DC. NOVA is 4 times the population of DC and nearly half of the overall MSA. I don't know the numbers for the Jersey side of the NY MSA, but it is an inverted relationship with Jersey. NYC comprises almost half of the overall MSA and is much larger than the Jersey side.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,091,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbetterthanyou View Post
You could also argue that NOVA and MD are closer in terms of being important than NJ and CT - CT is clearly the weakest link.
True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City