Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:32 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,641,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
According to these guys you'd do better in Phoenix, Tempe or Scottsdale then Denver as a single person.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...-singles/9015/
I studied epidemiology and public health. Population data analysis was heavily required with
statistical tools: SAS, SPSS, Excel, SQL Server, etc. The statistic you posted is an aggregate for
both males and females. The OP was a woman. The further decomposition of statistical data to
her gender reveals that Denver is a far greater place of "dating odds" than Phoenix.
The best and worst cities for women looking to marry | Pew Research Center

I am from Arizona and lived in Denver/Boulder for four years. Denver is joked by women as "Menver"
because the men clearly outnumber the women. A local bar scene on Friday night in Denver would
reveal men heavily outnumbering women. The outdoor culture and mountains also are male-oriented.
So a woman in her 30s would be in a prime dating pool in Denver.

By contrast, Phoenix and Tempe tend to have an inverse ratio. There are more women than men in
ratio by far. For many years ASU was known to have far more females than males. In recent
years that gap closed, but the legacy alumnae are still in the area as yuppies. So as a guy I am
excited about that. I moved back to Phoenix two weeks ago from FL. I love it here.

But women would face far more competition from young female ASU graduates in this area. Denver
would be better for the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 11:00 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I studied epidemiology and public health. Population data analysis was heavily required with
statistical tools: SAS, SPSS, Excel, SQL Server, etc. The statistic you posted is an aggregate for
both males and females. The OP was a woman. The further decomposition of statistical data to
her gender reveals that Denver is a far greater place of "dating odds" than Phoenix.

I am from Arizona and lived in Denver/Boulder for four years. Denver is joked by women as "Menver"
because the men clearly outnumber the women. A local bar scene on Friday night in Denver would
reveal men heavily outnumbering women. The outdoor culture and mountains also are male-oriented.

By contrast, Phoenix and Tempe tend to have an inverse ratio. There are more women than men in
ratio by far. For many years ASU was known to have far more females than males. In recent
years that gap closed, but the legacy alumnae are still in the area as yuppies. So as a guy I am
excited about that. I moved back to Phoenix two weeks ago from FL. I love it here.

But women would face far more competition from young female ASU graduates in this area. Denver
Wow, they've really taken that to an extreme. Data rules every aspects of our lives these days.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:12 PM

6 posts, read 8,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post

Wow, thanks for this analysis, grad_student200! Good luck in Phoenix/Tempe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City