Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:06 AM

6 posts, read 8,562 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I would like to get feedback on which city is better for a single professional woman in her 30s. The differences in climate are pretty obvious, and both cities seem to have booming economies. But it's a little harder to get a sense of the social scene from afar, so I'm hoping to get help with that.

1. I'd like to know which city has a better selection of interesting and appealing single men in my age range. To me, interesting and appealing means well-mannered, educated, physically fit and a bit on the traditionally masculine side (hard to express this well, but I like men who feel like men, and some cities have more of that and some cities have less).

2. In which city is it easier to meet girl and guy friends?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 08:14 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,691,060 times
According to these guys you'd do better in Phoenix, Tempe or Scottsdale then Denver as a single person.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...-singles/9015/

Old 03-10-2017, 11:13 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,913,335 times
1. I think PHX might be more what you're looking for as far as "men" go, but they're likely to be less educated and "well off" financially.

2. Higher paying jobs will be far more abundant in Denver, as PHX's job market is good, but pay is generally quite poor.

3. Denver has much better summers, PHX has much better winters. If youre looking for blistering summers, abundant sun, and mild winters, PHX is it. If youre looking for 4 mild seasons, Denver is it.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:46 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,691,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
1. I think PHX might be more what you're looking for as far as "men" go, but they're likely to be less educated and "well off" financially.

2. Higher paying jobs will be far more abundant in Denver, as PHX's job market is good, but pay is generally quite poor.

3. Denver has much better summers, PHX has much better winters. If youre looking for blistering summers, abundant sun, and mild winters, PHX is it. If youre looking for 4 mild seasons, Denver is it.
You're painting with a pretty broad brush here, the idea that you'd have a hard time finding educated singles in a metro area that is home to the largest public university in the country, not to mention quite a few other universities is kind of silly. Add to that the 16+ fortune 1000's located in Phoenix and the regional draw of the area in pulling in talent from other markets and it's pretty easy to run across other educated people.

There's probably more people here with bachelors degrees then Denver anyways, just do the math.

Metro Phoenix: 4.5M people, Bachelor Degree Attainment about 29%
Metro Denver: 3.0M people, Bachelor Degree Attainment about 38%

4.5x29%= 1.3M with B degrees or higher
3.0x38%= 1.1M with B degrees or higher

And we all know the crowd around you has a lot to do with where you hangout. You can go to parts of Boston and hangout where less educated people do or you can go where you know you're more likely to bump into Harvard grads etc...

Same is true in Phoenix, hangout at West Gate and you're probably not going to run into a lot of educated young professionals. Parts of Tempe/Scottsdale/Downtown Phoenix it's a lot different.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:19 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,454,529 times
Quote:

Got to chime in that Denver summers are overrated. They aren't hot like us, but with the exception of a high pressure set up, they follow the same pattern daily. Fairly Sunny in the AM, Overcast by 4pm, Rain by 5pm. And that is nearly every day in July and August especially. Rain everyday is not my idea of good summer weather

Old 03-10-2017, 03:49 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,639,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Got to chime in that Denver summers are overrated. They aren't hot like us, but with the exception of a high pressure set up, they follow the same pattern daily. Fairly Sunny in the AM, Overcast by 4pm, Rain by 5pm. And that is nearly every day in July and August especially. Rain everyday is not my idea of good summer weather
Many love the relief from the rain in the afternoon. I've never heard anyone complain about that before.

Phoenix's constant 100F+ days in a row are what makes it so uncomfortable. Denver barely ever gets that hot. Our record high is 105F which is pretty much daily in Phoenix in the Summer.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You're painting with a pretty broad brush here, the idea that you'd have a hard time finding educated singles in a metro area that is home to the largest public university in the country, not to mention quite a few other universities is kind of silly. Add to that the 16+ fortune 1000's located in Phoenix and the regional draw of the area in pulling in talent from other markets and it's pretty easy to run across other educated people.

There's probably more people here with bachelors degrees then Denver anyways, just do the math.

Metro Phoenix: 4.5M people, Bachelor Degree Attainment about 29%
Metro Denver: 3.0M people, Bachelor Degree Attainment about 38%

4.5x29%= 1.3M with B degrees or higher
3.0x38%= 1.1M with B degrees or higher

And we all know the crowd around you has a lot to do with where you hangout. You can go to parts of Boston and hangout where less educated people do or you can go where you know you're more likely to bump into Harvard grads etc...

Same is true in Phoenix, hangout at West Gate and you're probably not going to run into a lot of educated young professionals. Parts of Tempe/Scottsdale/Downtown Phoenix it's a lot different.
I didn't say PHX doesn't have educated individuals, all I said is youre less likely to run across them here than you would be in Denver, and I stand by that. Having ASU (aka "degree mill") here does help, but I haven't met many ASU grads who got their masters (bachelors is another thing) here and stayed. Most got out and went where the big jobs are. I just lost a good coworker who is leaving for Philly. Just got his masters and is skippin right outta here. And its true about the friends and places you hang around. It doesn't matter if Im hanging around "higher society" in Scottsdale, or with the grease monkey crowd at the car shows, I hear the same thing over and over.

In regards to the Fortune 1000 thing... we're the 5th largest city in the USA. Our 15 Fortune 1000 companies is laughable. I wouldn't spout that off as some kind of pride thing, its embarrassing. I knew suburbs in Chicago with 20K people that had almost that many Fortune 500 and 1000 companies (look up the I-88 Tech Corridor).

Old 03-10-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That's odd... I was in the Denver/Estes Park area not too terribly long ago and didn't get ONE day where that occurred.

It was gorgeous, dry, and in the low 80s the entire time I was there. Nights were cool enough to wear a light jacket. It was absolutely glorious. On the other hand, I did also go in October once, and it was cold as heck. One day we were walking around and it was sunny, but we were getting hit with what felt like rain drops. The store clerk said it was actually snow that the wind picks up off the mountains and it melts and turns into water droplets. On sunny days! Pretty cool.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:09 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,454,529 times
Quote:
That's odd... I was in the Denver/Estes Park area not too terribly long ago and didn't get ONE day where that occurred.

It was gorgeous, dry, and in the low 80s the entire time I was there. Nights were cool enough to wear a light jacket. It was absolutely glorious. On the other hand, I did also go in October once, and it was cold as heck. One day we were walking around and it was sunny, but we were getting hit with what felt like rain drops. The store clerk said it was actually snow that the wind picks up off the mountains and it melts and turns into water droplets. On sunny days! Pretty cool.
Denver does get occasional high pressure in summer as I mentioned, but afternoon rain is the norm

Old 03-10-2017, 05:07 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,918,269 times
I'm not as familiar with Phoenix, but from what little experience I've had there and know about the metro- and having lived in Denver, I'd definitely suggest the Mile High City.

Granted, it's grown substantially from when I left in 2013/2014, but CO is isolated and kind of a community feel. I had zero problems meeting and making friends- in fact, it was sometimes too easy; everybody's excited to be in a hip spot.

Now this is not to say that Denver is perfect and Phoenix has nothing to offer- but Denver is full of people that are really excited to be there and have traveled a distance to do so. The attitude seems much more upbeat, and the place is literally crawling with people in great shape and obsessed with physical activity. Adventure areas like CO tend to attract guys and the advantage is to women, hence the nickname "Menver."

While the metro has 3 million, most of the cooler stuff going on is confined to the central part of the city itself, which is a relatively small area. Denverites treat the mountains of the state as the backyard, with the city being the homebase for activities.

I know things have changed in recent years, but Phoenix feels spread out, with pockets of activity, and doesn't feel as dense overall in the city. But I get the feeling that there's more diversity overall.

But, as long as you're okay with a more homogenous crowd- i.e. generally a lot of well-educated dudes with beards, Patagonia jackets, good jobs and obsessions with outdoor activities, Denver is a better option. In terms of masculinity, it's hard to answer that one. I can't speak so much for AZ, but most guys in CO tend to be middle of the road- think more snowboarders and hikers as opposed to cowboys and jocks, but more traditional and masculine than the west coast crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City