Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Greater New York (without the city of New York) 23 34.85%
the San Francisco Bay Area (without the city of San Francisco) 43 65.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:41 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Two Ivy League schools? I thought Columbia was the only Ivy League in Greater NYC. Number 2 can't be Princeton, that is closer to Philadelphia than it is to NYC
OP said CSA specifically, so I think the two are probably Princeton and Yale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
OP said CSA specifically, so I think the two are probably Princeton and Yale.
This.

Quote:
Two Ivy League schools? I thought Columbia was the only Ivy League in Greater NYC. Number 2 can't be Princeton, that is closer to Philadelphia than it is to NYC
And UC Davis is in Solano County, part of the Bay CSA, yet is far closer to Sacramento then San Francisco. Princeton and Yale are at least connected to NYC by commuter rail.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
This.

And UC Davis is in Solano County, part of the Bay CSA, yet is far closer to Sacramento then San Francisco. Princeton and Yale are at least connected to NYC by commuter rail.
UC Davis is in Yolo County which is part of the Sacramento MSA/CSA.

Although it is literally on the border with Solano County. And Davis is connected to the Bay Area thru Amtrak Capital Corridor

Old 03-17-2017, 10:21 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
I have to say this. One of the most odd "let's pretend" threads, yet. Basically, most of us are choosing which area of the country we prefer, because do most of us really know which amenities are better in each of these areas, minus the two major cities? I would guess that the Bay Area is winning. Who really knows enough, to compare White Plains with San Jose?

Last edited by Enean; 03-17-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-17-2017, 10:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Don't underestimate the topographic/outdoor aspect of the greater NYC area.

While it is true that the region surrounding the SF Bay area is superlative, with the Hudson Valley/Highlands, the Catskills, eastern Long Island, and the hinterlands surrounding, greater NYC is no slouch.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
UC Davis is in Yolo County which is part of the Sacramento MSA/CSA.

Although it is literally on the border with Solano County. And Davis is connected to the Bay Area thru Amtrak Capital Corridor
True, but a portion of it is in Solano County. Quite a close parallel with Princeton, if you ask me. And NJ Transit absolutely destroys the Capitol Corridor in terms of ridership. The Northeast Corridor line, the majority of which is in New Jersey, is the busiest line in the system and has over 25x the ridership of the entire Capital Corridor line. It's over twice as busy as CalTrain, which is far more of a true commuter service than the Capitol Corridor.

Even with the behemoth of the NYC Subway system removed, Greater New York has a far more extensive public transportation system than the Bay. NJ Transit has over 630 miles of track, the vast majority of which is in North Jersey, and is the second busiest commuter rail in the country. The Long Island Railroad is the busiest and has over 700 miles of track, the majority of which is outside of NYC proper. And Metro-North is the third busiest commuter rail in the country, again, with most of its mileage outside of NYC proper. If NYC is removed in this hypothetical scenario and Penn Station/Grand Central are shifted to either NJ or Long Island, the surrounding municipalities that constitute the CSA will still thrive.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
This.

I always considered Princeton, NJ to be part of Greater Philadelphia. And the only part of CT I consider part of Greater NYC is Fairfield County

Old 03-17-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I always considered Princeton, NJ to be part of Greater Philadelphia. And the only part of CT I consider part of Greater NYC is Fairfield County
And that's what makes it a close parallel. Princeton is closer to Philadelphia and in the Philadelphia media market, but is technically a part of the NYC metropolitan area. UC Davis is closer to Sacramento and is a part of the Sacramento media market, but is technically part of the Bay metropolitan area (and the Sacramento one). It's not an exact comparison, but it's close enough when you take population size into account (with NYC's CSA nearly 3 times larger than the Bay's). And as far as your personal opinion of New Haven County, that's great. Still doesn't change reality if we're going to use CSA's to begin with.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:14 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
And that's what makes it a close parallel. Princeton is closer to Philadelphia and in the Philadelphia media market, but is technically a part of the NYC metropolitan area. UC Davis is closer to Sacramento and is a part of the Sacramento media market, but is technically part of the Bay metropolitan area (and the Sacramento one). It's not an exact comparison, but it's close enough when you take population size into account (with NYC's CSA nearly 3 times larger than the Bay's). And as far as your personal opinion of New Haven County, that's great. Still doesn't change reality if we're going to use CSA's to begin with.
I don't think CSA's are a proper measurement of a metro area. Case in point, using the Los Angeles CSA, Baker, Needles and Blythe, CA would all be considered part of Greater Los Angeles, which is total hog wash!

Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I don't think CSA's are a proper measurement of a metro area. Case in point, using the Los Angeles CSA, Baker, Needles and Blythe, CA would all be considered part of Greater Los Angeles, which is total hog wash!
It depends. As some Bay and LA posters are quick to point out, it hinges on which parts of the counties used for CSA are urbanized and connected and which are not. In the case of both Princeton and Yale, the corridors that extend to them are completely built out, save for very small gaps, and connected via heavily used commuter rail. Media wise, both are served by NYC radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City