Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:22 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,481 times

Advertisements

I currently live in St. Louis and while the nightlife and entertainment scene is good, it seems to be very couple-oriented. I plan on moving in the further future but staying in the Midwest. I'm looking to move to one of these cities eventually:

-Cleveland
-St. Louis (I may stay put if it compares well)
-Detroit
-Cincinnati
-Louisville
-Buffalo
-Pittsburgh
-Kansas City
-Milwaukee

Which of these cities has:

-the best general nightlife? (Clubs, Bars, music scene)
-the most available singles?
-the most attractive singles?
-the best girl/guy ratio (in favor of guys)?
-the best "staying power" (do people stay single for longer)?
-the best nightlife clusters (groupings of bars, clubs, etc)?

And can any compete with some of the bigger nightlife cities in diversity of options?

I've consulted some older threads but they are both dated and not quite what I'm looking for, so I'd appreciate some fresh perspective. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 11:25 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Why did you leave out the best city in the midwest?

Old 03-19-2017, 11:36 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Why did you leave out the best city in the midwest?
Because it's an obvious pick. Chicago will always be in the running, I just wanna know the lower cost options. Also I wanna be part of one of those cities' comeback story.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:04 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Cleveland has fairly good nightlife options, however most dating I know of here (or anywhere) happens on online platforms like Tinder or OK Cupid. That said, there are many hang out options with lots of single young people.

1. The Warehouse District - This is the center of the club/party/barhopping scene, mostly for 20-somethings.
2. The Flats East Bank - The Flats (Cleveland's Riverfront) was the party epicenter of the mid-west in the 90s. After a sad death in the 2000s, it's been reborn in a much classier way, in the form of the Flats East Bank. There are dozens of restaurants, music venues, clubs, and high-end apartments, as well as a boardwalk, cool views of Cleveland's bridges and industrial past, and an outdoor club complete with swimming pool in the summer.
3. Ohio City - This area is more geared towards hipsters, or people looking for a chiller vibe than the Warehouse District. Lots of boutique restaurants, microbreweries, bars with dozens of craft beers on tap, coffee shops, board game cafe, etc.
4. Tremont - Like a more artsy, upscale version of Ohio City.
5. Lakewood - An artsy, young suburb with the highest population density between NYC and Chicago. It has several districts chock full of interesting restaurants and bars.
6. Cleveland Heights - Similar vibe to Lakewood. Has several night life districts, most notably Coventry, which is known as a liberal/hippy hang out.

As far as music venues, there are a ton, from large to small, specializing in many types of music, from Indie to Americana, to Metal. The most notable are:
1. The Agora
2. The Beachland Ballroom
3. The Grog Shop
4. House of Blues
5. Nautica
6. Blossom Music Center

As far as attractive singles, we may not stand up to the ultra competitive East or West Coast, but there are still a lot of attractive people here. Cleveland has a lot of Irish, and Eastern European ancestry, so we tend to have lighter features. There are a good number of Italians here as well, who tend to be darker featured. We're a diverse city, and I'd say there's no shortage of attractive people, no matter what your "type" is.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:43 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Toss up between Pittsburgh and Detroit.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:52 PM

144 posts, read 271,109 times
Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh are all pretty solid nightlife cities. Cleveland has the biggest city feel to me, with the most variety of nightlife areas. Pittsburgh is a city on the rise with a proud sports culture. Milwaukee might be the best drinking city in America as there is a bar on literally almost every corner throughout the city.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Buffalo has nightlife on Chippewa Street, the Elmwood Village, Allentown and Hertel Avenue, with some places scattered here and there around the area. Crossing the border into Canada is an option as well.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:21 PM

821 posts, read 760,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Buffalo has nightlife on Chippewa Street, the Elmwood Village, Allentown and Hertel Avenue, with some places scattered here and there around the area. Crossing the border into Canada is an option as well.
Chippewa has a lot of bars for Buffalo, but not sure how that compares to other rust belt cities.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 PM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Chippewa has a lot of bars for Buffalo, but not sure how that compares to other rust belt cities.
Yeah, I'm not completely sure, but that is why I mentioned those other areas of the city.

If the OP is open to this city about hour to the east, these areas come to mind: https://rocwiki.org/Southeast_Quadrant

https://rocwiki.org/Downtown
Particularly this district: https://rocwiki.org/East_End
Or these districts: https://rocwiki.org/Four_Corners
https://rocwiki.org/Monroe/Alexander

Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,505 times
Unless you are very very hipstery, Detroit is probably out of the running period I would suggest Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City