Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:32 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times

Advertisements

Austin is a destination city for Americans to live but not internationally to visit or live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 05:50 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
It's been years since I've been there. What would someone from Austin offer to international tourists? Aside from a large festival or music gathering, why would someone fly there to visit? It's not sarcasm, I'm asking honestly.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:32 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
I think it's been for a while. When I lived there, there was always random celebrities there. In a little restaurant I worked at, Francis Coppola and Steve Buscemi came in, Treat Williams. It's a nice little get away.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Wow, so much crap for Austin here. I've been there twice and thought it was a great place to visit. It doesn't have a Times Square, so to speak, but it's really more about the general atmosphere, which I've never really experienced in any other city -- this kind of bohemian-Texan hybrid. I liked about a hundred or maybe a thousand times more than San Antonio, which has an awesome riverwalk and like nothing else of any interest whatsoever.
The most hated city in this forum. I like it for what it is, small, neat little tech hub with nice people. I wouldnt' compare it to Venice Beach or whatever, but it can be fun.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:25 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
It's actually been portrayed on this forum as the "end all, be all" or "the shining city on the hill" with very few people actually hating it or crapping on it up until recently. I think at this point, the hype of it is tired out so you're starting to see more negative comments. It's nowhere near as bashed as rust belt or other sunbelt cities on here.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:04 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It's actually been portrayed on this forum as the "end all, be all" or "the shining city on the hill" with very few people actually hating it or crapping on it up until recently. I think at this point, the hype of it is tired out so you're starting to see more negative comments. It's nowhere near as bashed as rust belt or other sunbelt cities on here.
Exactly. It's the perfect city image that it garners that rubs me the wrong way. I've visited Austin a handful of times right out of college and spent most of my time doing the types of things the city is most known for: live music venues and drinking alcohol -- and I liked it. Is it the #1 city in America -- in any aspect aside from growth rate -- I don't think so, personally, and I'm unsure why it gets so much hype while other equally deserving (or even lesser deserving) cities get no hype or even negative perceptions. That's not to say it's not a great city or fun city or likable city, it just means that its hype is a little overboard for what it really is, which in my opinion is a large "town" that caters well to people in college and young professionals. It's fun when you're young, but as I'm getting older I'm not sure the amenities its most renown for would still appeal to me as much as they once did, so without those being important factors it falls back within the realm of "pretty good" cities, as opposed to "amazing" cities.

To be fair, I could say the very same thing about the city I love and live in: Minneapolis. It's probably not the "it" city for those who are looking for nightclubs, pools/beaches, and a cosmopolitan vibe, but as a father of a young family, it's essentially perfect.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Exactly. It's the perfect city image that it garners that rubs me the wrong way. I've visited Austin a handful of times right out of college and spent most of my time doing the types of things the city is most known for: live music venues and drinking alcohol -- and I liked it. Is it the #1 city in America -- in any aspect aside from growth rate -- I don't think so, personally, and I'm unsure why it gets so much hype while other equally deserving (or even lesser deserving) cities get no hype or even negative perceptions. That's not to say it's not a great city or fun city or likable city, it just means that its hype is a little overboard for what it really is, which in my opinion is a large "town" that caters well to people in college and young professionals. It's fun when you're young, but as I'm getting older I'm not sure the amenities its most renown for would still appeal to me as much as they once did, so without those being important factors it falls back within the realm of "pretty good" cities, as opposed to "amazing" cities.

To be fair, I could say the very same thing about the city I love and live in: Minneapolis. It's probably not the "it" city for those who are looking for nightclubs, pools/beaches, and a cosmopolitan vibe, but as a father of a young family, it's essentially perfect.
I think Austin has its strong points and charm, but i can think of 15 cities I'd rather live in, including Minneapolis. Still, if I were 23 and super liberal and had an iron kidney, Austin would be great

I think it gets the hype because of it's location, for one. Blueberry in a tomato soup right? In Texas, it's known as a very liberal place to go party. How many places are there like that in the south? It seems isolated. Now, I know posters from Dallas and Houston will come with "we have way more bars than Austin, I don't get it." But it's not about having a lot of bars and a nice downtown district or a ton of Fortune 500 companies.

Austin appeals to hipsters who like the ability to drive 20 minutes and be under a water fall. That's something you can't get in every big city. Again, I will say, for me, I can think of 15 cities I'd rather live in, but there is certainly a charm to that city.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:47 AM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
I LOVED Austin in the early 90's. Now, it's identity has somewhat changed and not as quirky as it used to be, and is a watered-down version of its former self.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:49 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
No, but it has definitely joined the ranks as one of the most overrated US cities.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Is Austin a huge destination? Plain and simple, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City