Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:43 PM

605 posts, read 804,211 times

Advertisements

In other words, has Austin become a city that appeals to international travelers as much as to Americans? Is it worth traveling halfway across the world for?

If we think of the American "destination" cities as the following, does Austin fit?:

Boston
Chicago
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Miami
New Orleans
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Washington

Very interested to get your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 02:54 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
I think for certain events, such as SXSW and Formula 1 racing, it's started to appeal internationally. But outside of the major festivals/events, there's really no reason to make a single trip there without also adding in other parts of Texas (or the US for that matter). There's not a main year-round tourist attraction like you find in Orlando or the historic significance of Philly or Boston.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM

8,606 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
In other words, has Austin become a city that appeals to international travelers as much as to Americans? Is it worth traveling halfway across the world for?

If we think of the American "destination" cities as the following, does Austin fit?:

Boston
Chicago
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Miami
New Orleans
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Washington

Let's see...

You forgot Honolulu, Washington DC, San Diego, Houston, Atlanta, the Grand Canyon, Seattle, Tampa, Dallas, San Jose, Phoenix, Denver, etc...not to mention all of the other cities that appeal to international travels more than Austin - San Antonio may also fit into this.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:

Boston
Chicago
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Miami
New Orleans
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Washington

I would have a hard time thinking of Austin as an international travel destination. It's one of the top hotspots for Millennials to visit and move to when they graduate college, but in terms of international tourism, I don't think Austin is as much on the radar as even New Orleans.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
I say no. I wouldn't call it an American destination city either. Outside of SXSW, what is the big draw? Yes I know downtown is "awesome." San Antonio is a destination city before Austin is. The Spurs, Alamodome, Sea World, Riverwalk, The Alamo, Six Flags, Towers of the Americas, San Antonio Zoo, Splashtown, Mission San Jose, etc.

So no. Austin is obviously the "it" city to live in right now and does have attractive qualities and things to do, but I wouldn't call it a major national, and especially international, tourist destination. Regional destination, of course.

I noticed Atlanta isn't on your list either. Atlanta is easily a bigger attraction city. Easily. You left off a lot of cities actually.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:19 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:

Boston
Chicago
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Miami
New Orleans
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Washington

No matter how much hype is drilled into my head, I still do not understand the hype for Austin. Landlocked state capitals will always be just that, no matter how many people I have jumping up and down in my face telling me how weird and hip it is. One time a bartender in San Diego from Texas compared it to
Venice Beach that was hilarious.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 4,044 times
As a German I would say no. The other cities have more reasons for a 6+ hours flight over the Atlantic Ocean. Here are some of them:

Boston - Some Germans do a New England trip, which usually includes Maine and Boston. It is very well known for its rich history (even here in Europe) and it has a little bit of an "England-styled" city.

Chicago - If we know a city in the Midwest, it is probably Chicago. Not as large and crowded as New York, but also a very nice skyline.

Las Vegas/Los Angeles/San Francisco - These are cities often visited by a California trip. Many do it and they drive on a route like this: Hollywood/LA -> CA-1 -> San Francisco -> Yosemite (-> Death Valley) -> Las Vegas (-> Grand Canyon). All cities are well known from several Hollywood movies and the second symbol of the USA, behind the Statue of Liberty, is the Golden Gate Bridge.

Miami/Orlando - Florida is also well known. Especially for Disney fans and older people.

New York - Very famous skyline, almost everyone in Germany knows New York and it is the only city automatically associated with the US.

Philadelphia/Washington - Well known and visited, when we are on the East Coast/New York.

So there is just no reason to visit Texas or Austin alone for most Germans (even if distant relatives lives there). It is too far away from Europe (unlike Florida and New England). The cities are too far from each other and the only thing in-between are fields, fields and more fields.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:

Boston
Chicago
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
Miami
New Orleans
New York
Orlando
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Washington

As a matter of fact, if I were planning a Texas trip, my order of destinations would be 1. Houston, 2. DFW, 3. San Antonio, 4. Marfa, 5. Gulf of Mexico, then maybe Austin. All the stuff that gets hyped about Austin seems to be available in pretty much any city.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
No.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
girls obsessed with instagram think it is. SXSW was a genius idea. Tie a musical festival into a quasi trade show/conference event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City