Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:51 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,599,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxr203 View Post
By the way, I know I asked this before, but the DMV area seems to have this reputation for a bad dating scene. I won't comment on that, but I'll ask this: Do any of you have a preference for Maryland or Northern Virginia when it comes to dating prospects?
If you are looking for some grit, somewhere close to NE, some diversity and women...You may as well just do hyattsville. I believe its 37% hispanic, 33% black, and 33% white. Enough diversity to both stand out and blend in with the scene. The spanish folks have their amenities, the black folks have their amenities, and UMD is right there giving it that college town feel. You could take so many cuts getting to NE while everybody is on the main road. The females are out jogging and shopping at PG plaza, not to mention new development around there. I dont even live in hyattsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:09 AM

37,787 posts, read 41,454,075 times
But I will say if the OP is leaning towards NoVA, he should strongly consider Alexandria. After I thought about it, I know more Black professionals living in Alexandria than I originally thought. My fraternity's regional convention is actually in Alexandria this weekend.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:07 PM

686 posts, read 614,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
neither. if you aint in the district you aint ish.

if i *had* to live ouside dc proper though, easily pentagon city.
You're nothing if you don't live downtown, but if you're in VA you should live in a tiny strip of wildly overpriced condos and crappy bars next to a mall. Ok buddy.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:45 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,894,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But his job would probably be in NE DC so having more jobs in NoVA isn't really much of a selling point. Downtown Silver Spring, Takoma Park, and downtown Bethesda are just as urban as anything in NoVA except Old Town Alexandria and he'd be about the same distance from both BWI (a more inexpensive airport) and DCA from SS/TP.

In addition to that, VA state politics, although overall more progressive than that of many other Southern states, can be a bit more topsy-turvy and "Old South" than Maryland. I seriously doubt you'd see anyone like this running for governor in MD; hell I'm originally from SC and this makes me uncomfortable: Corey Stewart advocates for Confederate flags, statues at Roanoke rally | Politics | roanoke.com
How is that any different than lawmakers in Maryland rallying against changing the state song which celebrates the Confederacy?

Old 03-29-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
How is that any different than lawmakers in Maryland rallying against changing the state song which celebrates the Confederacy?
Are any of those lawmakers fiercely defending the current lyrics (instead of simply opposing changing them) and running for governor?

I seriously doubt Stewart even makes it out of the primaries (if the polls are to be trusted), but it's something to consider nonetheless.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:17 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,894,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Are any of those lawmakers fiercely defending the current lyrics (instead of simply opposing changing them) and running for governor?

I seriously doubt Stewart even makes it out of the primaries (if the polls are to be trusted), but it's something to consider nonetheless.
Stewart is a flash in the pan and doesn't stand a chance in getting the nomination. The only point I attempted to make is that Maryland despite being billed as liberal state has its racist tendency as well. In addition to the lyrics to the state song, I always wonder why they never bothered renamed Negro Mountain. With that said, if you are a single black man, Maryland would be the best choice. However, once you get married and have children, NOVA would be the wise choice imo.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Stewart is a flash in the pan and doesn't stand a chance in getting the nomination. The only point I attempted to make is that Maryland despite being billed as liberal state has its racist tendency as well. In addition to the lyrics to the state song, I always wonder why they never bothered renamed Negro Mountain. With that said, if you are a single black man, Maryland would be the best choice. However, once you get married and have children, NOVA would be the wise choice imo.
I don't consider opposition to changing the lyrics of the rarely-sung state song a "racist tendency" and Blacks wield considerably more power at the state level in MD than VA. State politics isn't a huge issue that would sway most minorities away from VA at all but it could be more important to the OP.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:11 PM

362 posts, read 493,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
You're nothing if you don't live downtown, but if you're in VA you should live in a tiny strip of wildly overpriced condos and crappy bars next to a mall. Ok buddy.

I know, right?

Old 03-30-2017, 09:42 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,202,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Look at some of the places around 24th and Glebe......
Glebe and 24th Rd S?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8481...7i13312!8i6656

Or Glebe and 24th North?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9000...7i13312!8i6656

Because if you consider either of these areas "gritty," you must be really sheltered and haven't really traveled much in life. Stick to what you know in Texas where everything is shiny and new and they tear down anything that could be remotely considered "old"

Old 03-30-2017, 09:48 AM

999 posts, read 888,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Glebe and 24th Rd S?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8481...7i13312!8i6656

Or Glebe and 24th North?

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9000...7i13312!8i6656

Because if you consider either of these areas "gritty," you must be really sheltered and haven't really traveled much in life. Stick to what you know in Texas where everything is shiny and new and they tear down anything that could be remotely considered "old"
Haha, I thought the same thing when I read that. My first thought was, "does he mean 24th street or 24th road?" My second thought was that neither of those areas are the least bit gritty.

Last edited by mpier015; 03-30-2017 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City