Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:28 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Massive investment from and connections to an entire sub-region of 43 million (the Caribbean), enough to be considered its capital. More than any other American city, Miami is defined by its connection to one region of the world--our other elite cities are more cosmopolitan in their cosmopolitanism. And I guess better connections to London, to echo others' sentiments.
Good post. I have heard people say Miami is the "Capital of Latin America", which is very untrue, however, "Capital of the Caribbean" would make more significant sense due to the direct connections it has to all those places, and the massive size difference it has compared to any of the others, economically and metro population wise.

I do think this study probably has the "London bias" as well, however, while it may not be perfect, I don't necessarily think it gets things horribly wrong either, perhaps in spite of itself? I don't completely agree with A.T. Kearney's rankings either, regardless of whether they may have a more credible way of developing them, I see biases in them as well. I don't think there's a perfect rating system (and this one isn't even actually a rating system), but I think some get enjoyment out of the speculation and comparison of ranking things, such as cities.

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 09-05-2017 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 10:23 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I could be wrong but doesn't the GAWC survey put a lot of emphasis on international interconnectivity? I believe it also looks more at just the economic factors of a city and not the political, artistic or the social.
It's even worse than that. They use the presence of multinationals of a few sectors of service companies...and nothing else.

True connectivity would include other companies, like a tech company that has major operations in a dozen cities, air connections, manufacturing supply chains, and so on. But GAWC counted none of that last time I looked.

If it was portrayed as a single indicator out of several on a complex topic, that would be fine. But it's incessantly portrayed on CD and in the media by people who have no clue what it is. How often does some sucker post it thinking it's about what cities are influential or something like that?

Old 09-05-2017, 10:36 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Good post. I have heard people say Miami is the "Capital of Latin America", which is very untrue, however, "Capital of the Caribbean" would make more significant sense due to the direct connections it has to all those places, and the massive size difference it has compared to any of the others, economically and metro population wise.
It most definitely is the Capital of the Caribbean, in almost every way. As far as being the Capital of Latin America, remove Mexico and it's not much of a stretch.

All of the big cities in South America think of Miami first when they think of the States. The ties are strong and deep, and American Airlines almost has a lock on the market with their MIA fortress hub to both Central & South America.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:07 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's even worse than that. They use the presence of multinationals of a few sectors of service companies...and nothing else.

True connectivity would include other companies, like a tech company that has major operations in a dozen cities, air connections, manufacturing supply chains, and so on. But GAWC counted none of that last time I looked.

If it was portrayed as a single indicator out of several on a complex topic, that would be fine. But it's incessantly portrayed on CD and in the media by people who have no clue what it is. How often does some sucker post it thinking it's about what cities are influential or something like that?
Kind of bizarre not to count air connections on a list of cities which supposedly shows the most internationally connected!

Anyway, the problems with this list that you and I and others have pointed out is going to be ignored because people are always looking for someway to compare city A to city B. So they are going to use even a limited listing like GAWC, especially if their city is higher on the list.

It could be worse. At least the GAWC list has at least some criteria, even if it is limited. There are other lists that people have linked, such as from Travel magazines, that are just pure opinion.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Kind of bizarre not to count air connections on a list of cities which supposedly shows the most internationally connected!

Anyway, the problems with this list that you and I and others have pointed out is going to be ignored because people are always looking for someway to compare city A to city B. So they are going to use even a limited listing like GAWC, especially if their city is higher on the list.

It could be worse. At least the GAWC list has at least some criteria, even if it is limited. There are other lists that people have linked, such as from Travel magazines, that are just pure opinion.

I remember a really good list from MasterCard a few years back. I'll see if I can find their current one tomorrow.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
We're waiting...
I left CA with gas at 2.59, got to DFW where gas was 2.69 (drove to Houston and over the long weekend gas was around 2.49). Came back to CA today and gas was over $3 everywhere.

It might have something to do with Harvey.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:37 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I remember a really good list from MasterCard a few years back. I'll see if I can find their current one tomorrow.
Oooohhh!!! I cannot wait!

Old 09-05-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I left CA with gas at 2.59, got to DFW where gas was 2.69 (drove to Houston and over the long weekend gas was around 2.49). Came back to CA today and gas was over $3 everywhere.

It's $2.79 at our neighborhood QuickTrip (sort of our version of Wawa for our friends from FL & the NE). We get most of our gas in Atlanta from the shut down Colonial pipeline from Houston, as does most of the Piedmont Region from Birmingham to Baltimore.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:09 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post

Same thing happened after Katrina, this doesn't make Houston city proper anymore important because a storm happened. Florida is bracing for another hurricane, this will affect gas prices everywhere depending on how bad things get.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Same thing happened after Katrina, this doesn't make Houston city proper anymore important because a storm happened. Florida is bracing for another hurricane, this will affect gas prices everywhere depending on how bad things get.
A hurricane hitting Florida does not affect gas prices in the same way one hitting Houston or coastal Louisiana. No one says it makes Houston more important but just that a disaster hitting this area of the Gulf Coast shows it's importance to folks who don't think much of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City