Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 02:04 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXXTTX View Post
This isn't a ranking of which cities have the most rich.

According to the study, NYC has by far the most super-rich in the world, nearly double that of London, yet they ranked it #2 in terms of the 'most important'. I guess due to its more isolated location rather than London's easier access to the world.

I guess they the same silly criteria for Houston vs Dallas etc..
Yeah, that's a very good summary for this Knight Frank report.

When it comes to sheer concentration of wealth, I tend to prefer Capgemini's Wealth Report:

https://www.worldwealthreport.com/uswr

They highlight the 12 metropolitan areas that have the highest concentration of wealth and also track year-over-year change, in addition to providing the numerical figures accumulated by each metropolitan area. Their report values $1 million or higher.

There's another report as well, WealthX's annual report is also significant, because that report tracks the ultra-high net-worth individuals (valuations in excess of $30 million) in each metropolitan area of the world by sheer concentration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 05:12 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
I.e., which city is most connected with Saudi Oil Money

Stupid criteria in my opinion.
Don't you want to ask why it seems TORONTO isn't higher here? Toronto being the Première city in Canada and it sees itself positioned to already overtaking US cities not called NYC?

Toronto is at #22

http://www.worldpropertyjournal.com/...Index-2017.jpg[/quote]
CHICAGO still managed to be in the Top 10. Having Asian cities in huge rises. Filling the Top 10 more and more. For a city accused of being stagnant? It maintains a Global standing and seems investments in areas to maintain it.

As the third largest metropolitan region in the United States after New York and Los Angeles, Chicago is viewed as a ’gateway market’, one of a loosely defined group of cities marked by their attractiveness to
- cross-border investors,
- corporate occupiers and
- tourists.
Among this elite group of cities, Chicago stands out for its
- low business and living costs
- and the higher yields it offers commercial property invest

Global Cities 2017 | Knight Frank
Chicago still remains listed as a SUPER GLOBAL CITY.

Super Cities - Global Cities 2017 | Knight Frank

COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT VOLUME (YEAR TO JUNE 2016) U.S.$BN

Manhattan ---- 40.7
London -------- 35.9
Los Angeles --- 33.1
San Francisco - 25.8
Paris ----------- 23.7
Tokyo ---------- 20.8
Chicago -------- 16.1
Boston --------- 14.8
Washington ---- 13.0
Hong Kong ----- 12.2
Shanghai ------- 11.2
Seattle ---------- 9.5
Sydney ---------- 8.8
Singapore ------- 6.5
Melbourne ------- 6.4

Chart alone:
http://www.knightfrank.com/resources...r-cities-1.jpg COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT VOLUME (YEAR TO JUNE 2016) U.S

Again - where is TORONTO? Why isn't it much stronger in these list?

Old 04-09-2017, 02:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Don't you want to ask why it seems TORONTO isn't higher here? Toronto being the Première city in Canada and it sees itself positioned to already overtaking US cities not called NYC?

Toronto is at #22

http://www.worldpropertyjournal.com/...Index-2017.jpg
CHICAGO still managed to be in the Top 10. Having Asian cities in huge rises. Filling the Top 10 more and more. For a city accused of being stagnant? It maintains a Global standing and seems investments in areas to maintain it.

As the third largest metropolitan region in the United States after New York and Los Angeles, Chicago is viewed as a ’gateway market’, one of a loosely defined group of cities marked by their attractiveness to
- cross-border investors,
- corporate occupiers and
- tourists.
Among this elite group of cities, Chicago stands out for its
- low business and living costs
- and the higher yields it offers commercial property invest

Global Cities 2017 | Knight Frank
Chicago still remains listed as a SUPER GLOBAL CITY.

Super Cities - Global Cities 2017 | Knight Frank

COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT VOLUME (YEAR TO JUNE 2016) U.S.$BN

Manhattan ---- 40.7
London -------- 35.9
Los Angeles --- 33.1
San Francisco - 25.8
Paris ----------- 23.7
Tokyo ---------- 20.8
Chicago -------- 16.1
Boston --------- 14.8
Washington ---- 13.0
Hong Kong ----- 12.2
Shanghai ------- 11.2
Seattle ---------- 9.5
Sydney ---------- 8.8
Singapore ------- 6.5
Melbourne ------- 6.4

Chart alone:
http://www.knightfrank.com/resources...r-cities-1.jpg COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT VOLUME (YEAR TO JUNE 2016) U.S

Again - where is TORONTO? Why isn't it much stronger in these list?
You have a pretty unhealthy obsession with Toronto. Its a list. There are all kinds of those and they almost always never agree with one another. What I do know is that criteria can vary in these lists considerably. One thing I find is the inequality with which metro areas are defined and compared generally speaking. This won't change the fact that Toronto is growing faster than Chicago and will overtake it in population across the board. You'll have to come to terms with that at some point. I think that is the real reason the city rubs you the wrong way. That is why you always randomly bring it up and that is why i'm more than happy to remind you which metro is growing faster and with more consistency year after year and decade after decade.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-09-2017 at 03:00 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You have a pretty unhealthy obsession with Toronto. Its a list. There are all kinds of those and they almost always never agree with one another. What I do know is that criteria can vary in these lists considerably. One thing I find is the inequality with which metro areas are defined and compared generally speaking. This won't change the fact that Toronto is growing faster than Chicago and will overtake it in population across the board. You'll have to come to terms with that at some point. I think that is the real reason the city rubs you the wrong way. That is why you always randomly bring it up and that is why i'm more than happy to remind you which metro is growing faster and with more consistency year after year and decade after decade.
Please stop addressing people with personal references.
I noticed a Toronto at #22 globally here and not showing high in "Commercial development stats".

Under SUPER-GLOBAL cities I saw NO TORONTO and posted the non-population related growth stats in the link. It is Stats by the ---> COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT VOLUME (YEAR TO JUNE 2016) U.S.$BN.

I posted the list and Commercial building stats from the link in the Topic of the thread. I noticed its OMISSION. OK
Though its growth is boasted over most. American cities.
So if you see it is a omission that is error? State why on the Link in the thread topic. Not because of a personal problem I have with your city. I noticed it not and said so. OK.

The same link above does list the cities BY HOUSING BUILT also. Toronto is listed there and NOT Chicago. So I fully acknowledge a Chicago waaaaaay below population stats (on population growth) then Toronto has. Both city and Metro. OK

This noting of Toronto not in these Global list or old cities is striking to me giving all the boast I've read on Toronto's growth as a true Global city that is or very close to being placed ABOVE a Chicago? So far NO SIGNS.
If the link's stats you feel unfairly omit Toronto? Please address that. Not to post to feel you need to PERONALLY call me out for stats in current links on global cities.

I've recently posted in a thread noting Toronto passed Chicago in 2013. Or technically perhaps 2012 (so I'm not called on that). It was in a Chicago forum thread on Houston to pass Chi-Town in population before 2030. Highly likely in city proper. OK

I did see someone ---> bought in Toronto there to ADD how HOUSTON WOULD NEVER PASS TORONTO. ** I suggested New thread on that topic. OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
No
Toronto will pass Chicago....but Houston will not in this century.
Part of my reply on Toronto mentioned.
Quote:
You can argue that with Houstonians. Better yet? Create a thread in the Houston forums.

Technically, old news on city proper's. Toronto surpassed Chicago proper in 2013.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/wor...to-population/

Many people - have pointed this out, claiming that Toronto still has a long way to go to catch up with Chicago. This is because the Greater Toronto Area is about 6 million people, according to the latest StatsCan data, while Chicagoland, the colloquial term for Chicago’s metro region, is closer to 9.5 million.

Over the next 20 years, Toronto is expected to continue its moderate growth, surpassing 3 million by 2026, and reaching nearly 3.2 million in 2036.

Toronto vs Chicago: Is Toronto really bigger than Chicago? Sort of

technical. Yes, the City of Toronto has overtaken the City of Chicago in terms of people living within its borders. As of July 1, 2013 Toronto had 2,791,140 people compared to Chicago’s 2,707,120—an 84,000 lead. But many would argue that those numbers don’t matter.

Another sub-region one called the Greater Golden Horseshoe Toronto covers 10,097km2, and the latter, 31,562km2.
In 2011, the GGH probably had between 8.6 million and 8.9 million people. It’s reasonable to think the region now houses more than 9 million. Which is not at all far behind Chicagoland’s 9.5.

It's this GREATER TORONTO HORSEHOE is claimed comparable to CHICAGOLAND.
The link I used for stats was Canadian. So not a link American biased. OK

Toronto in the "Knight Frank Super Cities Link" FORECAST POPULATION GROWTH IN GLOBAL CITIES 2015 TO 2020. At 15th Globally. AUSTIN WAS #2 behind Beijing. OK

Toronto has great population growth yes. But for some reason?? Lags in Commercial growth stats in links provided here. OK
** FEEL free to address the stats. Not me posting what is in the link. OK

Last edited by DavePa; 04-09-2017 at 04:19 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Please stop addressing people with personal references.
Yeah yeah everyone knows you're obsessed with constantly bringing up Toronto and constantly going on about Toronto posters this Toronto posters that blah blah blah... Not fooling anyone there zzzzz.

Quote:
I noticed a Toronto at #22 globally here and not showing high in "Commercial development stats".

Under SUPER-GLOBAL cities I saw NO TORONTO and posted the non-population related growth stats in the link. It is Stats by the ---> COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT VOLUME (YEAR TO JUNE 2016) U.S.$BN.

I posted the list and Commercial building stats from the link in the Topic of the thread. I noticed its OMISSION. OK
Though its growth is boasted over most. American cities.
So if you see it is a omission that is error? State why on the Link in the thread topic. Not because of a personal problem I have with your city. I noticed it not and said so. OK.

The same link above does list the cities BY HOUSING BUILT also. Toronto is listed there and NOT Chicago. So I fully acknowledge a Chicago waaaaaay below population stats (on population growth) then Toronto has. Both city and Metro. OK

This noting of Toronto not in these Global list or old cities is striking to me giving all the boast I've read on Toronto's growth as a true Global city that is or very close to being placed ABOVE a Chicago? So far NO SIGNS.

If the link's stats you feel unfairly omit Toronto? Please address that. Not to post to feel you need to PERONALLY call me out for stats in current links on global cities.

I've recently posted in a thread noting Toronto passed Chicago in 2013. Or technically perhaps 2012 (so I'm not called on that). It was in a Chicago forum thread on Houston to pass Chi-Town in population before 2030. Highly likely in city proper. OK

I did see someone ---> bought in Toronto there to ADD how HOUSTON WOULD NEVER PASS TORONTO. ** I suggested New thread on that topic. OK

Part of my reply on Toronto mentioned.

The link I used for stats was Canadian. So not a link American biased. OK

Toronto in the "Knight Frank Super Cities Link" FORECAST POPULATION GROWTH IN GLOBAL CITIES 2015 TO 2020. At 15th Globally. AUSTIN WAS #2 behind Beijing. OK
I take these lists generally speaking as a grain of salt. Especially American one's that can't for the life of them understand the differences in how the two countries measure metro areas differently. In this, I don't have a lot of faith in Knight Frank's ability to 'measure' Toronto' either. Both Toronto and Chicago are global cities. I'd tier Chicago ahead of Toronto in the here and now in terms of economy as it still anchors a larger metro region than Toronto. Both cities are in wealthy western nations and Chicago has a lot of economic legacy that it will be able to leverage for quite some time. I think by 2036 if growth rates remain consistent as they have over the last 40 years The Greater Toronto/Hamilton area will exceed Metro Chicago in population - even including your MSA/CSA measures which we don't have. Don't even think of comparing a Canadian CMA with a MSA - not comparable. MSA's are far more liberal in how they count population. At that point it is a more fair comparison in terms of overall economic might. In terms of International immigration its not even close, Toronto is far more internationally connected than Chicago. Chicago's economy is due to it being located in the largest economy on earth as opposed to it being extraordinarily internationally connected. Still, it is a global city with a lot of economic heft. It will do well for itself for a long time to come but relatively speaking, unless it can address its laggard performance in terms of population growth vs other large N.A cities, I don't see how this can look good over time for it including overall economic measures.

Quote:
Toronto has great population growth yes. But for some reason?? Lags in Commercial growth stats in links provided here. OK
** FEEL free to address the stats. Not me posting what is in the link. OK
Toronto is more nodular than Chicago. While Toronto has an impressive CBD by any standard, Chicago is still more centralized and has a larger CBD. Toronto is more decentralized in terms of commercial clusters. Given its current population I don't see any evidence Toronto lags. Its simply a smaller region than Chicagoland when we compare metro areas which seem inflated for American cities and deflated for Canadian one's. This will not only change as Toronto's core urban area grows, but also it will become more connected with other nodes in Southern Ontario as it expands thus increasing its sphere of influence. As for Austin, I believe its metro is growing at 2.0 percent vs Toronto's 1.9 percent. As impressive as this is for Austin, its still a smaller city so Toronto's absolute growth is much higher. In absolute growth Chicagoland doesn't even come close to Toronto. I don't see how this is a long term good news story for Chicago over Toronto across the board.

Btw the 2016 census has just been released and the population of the Golden Horseshoe region is 9.245 million people. If we included that as a region to measure economically with Toronto as its anchor - its performance across the board including all economic measures would be much higher than what is being measure now which is just either the city or Toronto or its CMA. As I said, since Toronto CMA is growing so fast, its ability to link itself with other nodes in Southern Ontario will only increase and once this happens, than that will be a much more formidable economic entity to be compared to. By 2021 census I wouldn't be surprised if the Golden Horseshoe exceeds Chicagoland in population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horseshoe

Last edited by fusion2; 04-09-2017 at 06:02 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 05:47 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Manhattan ---- 40.7
London -------- 35.9
Los Angeles --- 33.1
San Francisco - 25.8
Paris ----------- 23.7
Tokyo ---------- 20.8
Chicago -------- 16.1
Boston --------- 14.8
Washington ---- 13.0
Hong Kong ----- 12.2
Shanghai ------- 11.2
Seattle ---------- 9.5
Sydney ---------- 8.8
Singapore ------- 6.5
Melbourne ------- 6.4

Chart alone:
http://www.knightfrank.com/resources...r-cities-1.jpg COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT VOLUME (YEAR TO JUNE 2016)
I wonder why they would isolate Manhattan and ignore the rest of NYC?
Even then, NYC still comes on top though, which is impressive considering this is a world city list and not just the US or North America.
Kind of just shows you how there is just an insane amount of wealth & money is in Manhattan $$$$$

Old 04-09-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah yeah everyone knows you're obsessed with constantly bringing up Toronto. Not fooling anyone there zzzzz.

I take these lists generally speaking as a grain of salt. Especially American one's that can't for the life of them understand the differences in how the two countries measure metro areas differently. both Toronto and Chicago are global cities. I'd tier Chicago ahead of Toronto in the here and now in terms of economy as it still anchors a larger metro region than Toronto. Both cities are in wealthy western nations and Chicago has a lot of economic legacy that it will be able to leverage for quite some time. I think by 2036 if growth rates remain consistent as they have over the last 40 years The Greater Toronto/Hamilton area will exceed Metro Chicago in population - even including your MSA/CSA measures which we don't have. Don't even think of comparing a Canadian CMA with a MSA - not comparable. MSA's are far more liberal in how they count population. At that point it is a more fair comparison in terms of overall economic might. In terms of International immigration its not even close, Toronto is far more internationally connected than Chicago. Chicago's economy is due to it being located in the largest economy on earth as opposed to it being extraordinarily internationally connected. Still, it is a global city with a lot of economic heft. It will do well for itself for a long time to come but relatively speaking, unless it can address its laggard performance in terms of population growth vs other large N.A cities, I don't see how this can look good over time for it including overall economic measures.

Toronto is more nodular than Chicago. While Toronto has an impressive CBD by any standard, Chicago is still more centralized and has a larger CBD. Toronto is more decentralized in terms of commercial clusters. Given its current population I don't see any evidence Toronto lags. Its simply a smaller region than Chicagoland when we compare metro areas which seem inflated for American cities and deflated for Canadian one's. This will not only change as Toronto's core urban area grows, but also it will become more connected with other nodes in Southern Ontario as it expands thus increasing its sphere of influence. As for Austin, I believe its metro is growing at 2.0 percent vs Toronto's 1.9 percent. As impressive as this is for Austin, its still a smaller city so Toronto's absolute growth is much higher. In absolute growth Chicagoland doesn't even come close to Toronto. I don't see how this is a long term good news story for Chicago over Toronto across the board.

Btw the 2016 census has just been released and the population of the Golden Horseshoe region is 9.245 million people. If we included that as a region to measure economically with Toronto as its anchor - its performance across the board including all economic measures would be much higher than what is being measure now which is just either the city or Toronto or its CMA. As I said, since Toronto CMA is growing so fast, its ability to link itself with other nodes in Southern Ontario will only increase and once this happens, than that will be a much more formidable economic entity to be compared to. By 2021 census I wouldn't be surprised if the Golden Horseshoe exceeds Chicagoland in population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horseshoe
Well guess you addressed why Toronto placed #22 on a Global level in the Thread Topic's link and NOT listed as a Super-Global city? But you surely enlightened us on how Toronto buries Chicago in population growth and that ----> Chicago and all CHICAGOLAND is in Toronto Grip to meet and overtake?

It will be a globally recognized happening and a festival w/fireworks maybe? We can have some threads soon. To ready us for this event. It will be surely be a feat that will make Houston's overtake of Chicago city proper... miniscule by comparison.

Actually, I did say the Greater Toronto Horseshoe region IS what most want used to compare Toronto to Chicagoland. So let's look forward too 2021 and then all thy is left to defeat in N/A is Mexico City and NYC. Oh we should add in Toronto's favor too. That it has more High-rises now to then Chicago. Another get I did not fail to acknowledge. OK

* I will TRY BETTER not to mention Toronto in a thread too. As I have been labeled and obsessed. I think I admitted enough here I hope.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I wonder why they would isolate Manhattan and ignore the rest of NYC?
Even then, NYC still comes on top though, which is impressive considering this is a world city list and not just the US or North America.
Kind of just shows you how there is just an insane amount of wealth & money is in Manhattan $$$$$
This is a good point. I mean what the heck is Knight Frank comparing here? Are they comparing metro areas, city proper areas. Comparing a Borough of a city proper with other cities. This is the biggest problem I find with these lists is that they aren't comparing apples to apples city/metro's entities. Melbourne for example has a population of 4.6 million people. Toronto and Chicago have a population of 2.8 million. Any fool knows Toronto and Chicago are larger metro areas than Melbourne but if they are only measuring city proper populations than Melbourne would have a population advantage over Toronto and Chicago.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:17 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
This is a good point. I mean what the heck is Knight Frank comparing here? Are they comparing metro areas, city proper areas. Comparing a Borough of a city proper with other cities. This is the biggest problem I find with these lists is that they aren't comparing apples to apples city/metro's entities. Melbourne for example has a population of 4.6 million people. Toronto and Chicago have a population of 2.8 million. Any fool knows Toronto and Chicago are larger metro areas than Melbourne but if they are only measuring city proper populations than Melbourne would have a population advantage over Toronto and Chicago.
Agreed. It's kind of unclear. Did they completely ignore the other 4 boroughs or did they look at them each individually? Or maybe they just isolated Manhattan but kept the other 4 together?

I would guess they're measuring city proper, but who even knows .....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They don't give a lot of information, which goes with what you were saying about taking these types of lists with a grain of salt. Often times people on these forums interpret these lists as concrete proof or undeniable facts.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Well guess you addressed why Toronto placed #22 on a Global level in the Thread Topic's link and NOT listed as a Super-Global city? But you surely enlightened us on how Toronto buries Chicago in population growth and that ----> Chicago and all CHICAGOLAND is in Toronto Grip to meet and overtake?
You failed to understand my point. The key of which is Toronto's commercial areas are more decentralized than Chicago's. In order to fully understand the commercial aspects of both cities you have to compare regions. The point i'm making regarding growth is forward looking. I already conceded Chicagoland is the bigger economy and region in the here and now. I could give a rats behind about Knight Franks list of super cities - by the looks of it they don't know much about the cities they are comparing in terms of Borough's, City Proper's or Metro Regions...

Quote:
It will be a globally recognized happening and a festival w/fireworks maybe? We can have some threads soon. To ready us for this event. It will be surely be a feat that will make Houston's overtake of Chicago city proper... miniscule by comparison.
Silly comment that doesn't really warrant a response

Quote:
Actually, I did say the Greater Toronto Horseshoe region IS what most want used to compare Toronto to Chicagoland. So let's look forward too 2021 and then all thy is left to defeat in N/A is Mexico City and NYC. Oh we should add in Toronto's favor too. That it has more High-rises now to then Chicago. Another get I did not fail to acknowledge. OK
Well I don't really think the Horseshoe is exactly comparative to Chicagoland at the present time but it certainly is more comparable to a CSA than a CMA or even the GTA. Definitely! Underlined again you're just being silly. Neither Chicago, Houston nor Toronto will have a hope of meeting Mexico City or NYC in population for over 100 years and that is being generous.. That said, those three do compare more well to one another in population metrics in the near future.... You surely can't deny that lol...

Quote:
* I will TRY BETTER not to mention Toronto in a thread too. As I have been labeled and obsessed. I think I admitted enough here I hope.
Bring it up all you want. You always do so you're prolly not going to stop. You love to poke about it.. No need to deny. Give in to her lol... I've invited you up here since she is on your mind so much! I'll even show you the legacy areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City