Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best nightlife cities in Texas
Galveston 0 0%
Corpus Christi 1 0.69%
Ft Worth 1 0.69%
Houston 42 29.17%
Austin 61 42.36%
San Antonio 1 0.69%
El Paso 0 0%
Dallas 27 18.75%
McKinney 0 0%
College Station 0 0%
Amarillo 2 1.39%
Lubbock 9 6.25%
Laredo 0 0%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:38 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Dallas has a similar problem. While downtown Dallas is improving, most of it is still abandoned at night. Uptown is busy at night but I kinda hate it - every stereotype proves true: 30 K millionaires, bad but expensive restaurants, but you can walk up McKinney and feel like you are in a place, but people in Dallas don't walk unless they have to. Deep Ellum should be the Soho of Texas, it has great urban bones, but right now it is a lamer and tamer version of dirty 6th in Austin. Bishop Arts south of the Trinity is quaint and charming but tiny and is pretty much dead after midnight on a weekend. Ditto for lower Greenville. Oaklawn offers the best gay nightlife in the state, but overall nightlife in Dallas is discontinuous.
To those who haven't been to Texas reading this thread -- when someone from Austin attempts to describe life in the other Texas cities, it's usually in a negative way. They feel they are the best of the best and everywhere else sucks. Bashing Dallas, bashing Uptown. What else is new? There's a few bars/clubs there that fit the stereotype, but you must be naive if you believe Austin is exempt from a fratty/douchey feel.

Homeinatx, I disagree with you about Deep Ellum 100%. I would've agreed with you in 2012-2015... But definitely not as of 2017. Elm St. is PACKED. I never could've imagined lines into Elm St. bars when I first moved here in 2012, but now it's an occurrence every single weekend. Main St. & Commerce are experiencing similar revivals. Check out Dots on Commerce St. next time. Always packed. In fact, Deep Ellum is trending to become the most vibrant nightlife area in Dallas. I'm honestly not sure about Uptown's future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 02:44 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
To those who haven't been to Texas reading this thread -- when someone from Austin attempts to describe life in the other Texas cities, it's usually in a negative way. They feel they are the best of the best and everywhere else sucks. Bashing Dallas, bashing Uptown. What else is new? There's a few bars/clubs there that fit the stereotype, but you must be naive if you believe Austin is exempt from a fratty/douchey feel.

Homeinatx, I disagree with you about Deep Ellum 100%. I would've agreed with you in 2012-2015... But definitely not as of 2017. Elm St. is PACKED. I never could've imagined lines into Elm St. bars when I first moved here in 2012, but now it's an occurrence every single weekend. Main St. & Commerce are experiencing similar revivals. Check out Dots on Commerce St. next time. Always packed.
You got that sense from reading this thread?

Old 04-19-2017, 04:33 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You got that sense from reading this thread?
Read homeinatx's post. Most of this thread was pretty good though ..... and then came the Austitude -- "premier hipster this, longest that, most vibrant this, Bourbon St. of the Southwest, etc." How is that not pretentious?

Old 04-19-2017, 04:43 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,045,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Everyone I know that was in the city for the Super Bowl had a good time. The events were all pretty centralized as well. Maybe you're thinking of the Arlington SB a few years back where some events were in Arlington and others were in Dallas?

To answer the thread, I rate the nightlife:

Houston
Austin
Dallas
Fort Worth
San Antonio

Just my opinion.
So just looking at this poll are we missing all the action in Lubbock? I have never been there but it's holding it's own in this poll.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:39 PM

390 posts, read 389,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
To be honest, Texas has some good looking Hispanic women in general, but from my experience the most gorgeous and open-minded Hispanic women are from Houston.

And a walkable nightlife experience in Texas, is pretty must nonexistant.

I don't know, but I felt Sundance Square was more family oriented...either way it's way more packed than Downtown Houston and Downtown Dallas. The line for starbucks was LONG...
Are you kidding me?! Texas has lots of walkable nightlife and is improving and expanding year by year. Dallas has uptown, oak lawn ,downtown, deep ellum , Greenville, and knox Henderson mainly. You have to also remember the dallas side of the metroplex is also HEAVILY UNDER CONSTRUCTION SO THERE'S SO MUCH MORE TO COME IN THE NEXT 3-5 YEARS AND BEYOND.

FORT WORTH has west 7th , magnolia, and downtown mainly ,but Sundance and 7th are REALLY LIVE AT NIGHT.

Houston is not so much concentrated but you can find pretty big crowds market square area downtown, main street ,midtown, Washington ave. However the best nightlife experiences I've had in Houston were at random strip centers !

AUSTIN has some of the MOST PACKED NIGHTLIFE IN THE US i guarantee you it's in the top10. You have west campus , South Congress, all of 6th street, red river , Rainey, Lamar, the domain and more !

Texas has lots of good nightlife the main thing that sucks are the liquor laws !

Old 04-19-2017, 08:05 PM

390 posts, read 389,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm supposed to say Austin or maybe Dallas, but I'm black, so the answer is Houston.
You act like dallas doesent have BLACK NIGHTLIFE IT HAS TONS

Old 04-20-2017, 07:31 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
You act like dallas doesent have BLACK NIGHTLIFE IT HAS TONS
Does it? Black nightlife in Dallas is nowhere near as well-rounded or as broad as it is in Houston. It's been that way for years.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:11 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Does it? Black nightlife in Dallas is nowhere near as well-rounded or as broad as it is in Houston. It's been that way for years.
Don't get me started.

Let him have it.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:18 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Please don't get him started

Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
Are you kidding me?! Texas has lots of walkable nightlife and is improving and expanding year by year. Dallas has uptown, oak lawn ,downtown, deep ellum , Greenville, and knox Henderson mainly. You have to also remember the dallas side of the metroplex is also HEAVILY UNDER CONSTRUCTION SO THERE'S SO MUCH MORE TO COME IN THE NEXT 3-5 YEARS AND BEYOND.

FORT WORTH has west 7th , magnolia, and downtown mainly ,but Sundance and 7th are REALLY LIVE AT NIGHT.

Houston is not so much concentrated but you can find pretty big crowds market square area downtown, main street ,midtown, Washington ave. However the best nightlife experiences I've had in Houston were at random strip centers !

AUSTIN has some of the MOST PACKED NIGHTLIFE IN THE US i guarantee you it's in the top10. You have west campus , South Congress, all of 6th street, red river , Rainey, Lamar, the domain and more !

Texas has lots of good nightlife the main thing that sucks are the liquor laws !
Texas has great nightlife, but it still lacks in the whole Urban nightlife experience. Most of those areas you've name have decent walkability, but only Deep Ellum and Uptown has vibrancy, even still, those neighborhoods lack in the whole experience, same goes for Houston, and Austin. I think the one glaring problem with Texas nightlife is that it's too inconsistent between areas; it's all sprawled. If you've ever experienced nightlife in an Urban setting, you'd understand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City