U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 05:18 PM

731 posts, read 841,567 times

Advertisements

I live in Montreal (and have visited Ottawa a few times), and I have family connections in Cleveland and now also Columbus. Is it fair to say that the capital city of Ohio and the capital city of Canada have much in common?

I think that Columbus and Ottawa (here, I'm including the Quebec side also, such as Hull and Gatineau) have the following in common:

1) They're both midsize metropolitan areas (the urbanized area populations being around 1 million) that are largely administrative in function

2) They both have fairly large immigrant/culturally-diverse populations (unlike, say, Quebec City - which is 97% or more white francophone but which is otherwise also a midsize metro area largely administrative in function)

3) They're both overshadowed - in population size and overall importance - by larger cities that are fairly nearby (Columbus is near Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Detroit, etc.; Ottawa is near Montreal)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 06:52 PM

I forgot to mention another commonality between those two cities: They're both newer cities than many of the nearby larger cities, and their economies have specialized in hi-tech and other newer industries, aside from the administrative stuff associated with being a state or national capital. And they've been growing more than the surrounding larger/older cities.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:59 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,099,019 times
Columbus is much bigger than Ottawa. According to Demographia, Ottawa's urban area is 1,010,000 while Columbus is 1,505,000.

I would say that overall, Columbus is one of the best cities in the Midwest in terms of quality of life, job opportunities, cost of living and arts and culture. It's a very family friendly place that's booming not only because of the State Government but because of a massive university, Ohio State University, that has 66,046 students. I think this gives the city a youthful buzz that few other Midwest cities can compete it.

For this reason, I think I disagree with your point #3. Columbus is not overshadowed by any of Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati or Pittsburgh). It's actually a huge draw and many young Midwesterners move there from those 4 cities you listed. Ottawa, on the other hand, is overshadowed by Montreal in terms of buzz and cache.

Overall, I think the cities are a good match for each other. I've heard that Ottawa can be dead afterhours (similar to how Washington DC was in the 1990s). So I'd live in Columbus overall. But Ottawa definitely beats Columbus on some metrics (safety, history, tourist offerings).

Old 04-09-2017, 10:06 PM

17,592 posts, read 4,016,177 times
I prefer Columbus,Ohio over Ottawa,Canada.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:09 PM

1,802 posts, read 1,641,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I would say that overall, Columbus is one of the best cities in the Midwest in terms of quality of life, job opportunities, cost of living and arts and culture. It's a very family friendly place that's booming not only because of the State Government but because of a massive university, Ohio State University, that has 66,046 students. I think this gives the city a youthful buzz that few other Midwest cities can compete it.

For this reason, I think I disagree with your point #3. Columbus is not overshadowed by any of Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati or Pittsburgh). It's actually a huge draw and many young Midwesterners move there from those 4 cities you listed.
+1. I don't know Ottawa, but we lived in Columbus OH for 10 years, and still consider it one of the best kept secrets in the Midwest. It's a great medium sized metro and definitely not overshadowed by Cleveland (puh-leeze), Cincinnati or Detroit either by anyone who knows cities at all.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:48 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,392,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I live in Montreal (and have visited Ottawa a few times), and I have family connections in Cleveland and now also Columbus. Is it fair to say that the capital city of Ohio and the capital city of Canada have much in common?

I think that Columbus and Ottawa (here, I'm including the Quebec side also, such as Hull and Gatineau) have the following in common:

1) They're both midsize metropolitan areas (the urbanized area populations being around 1 million) that are largely administrative in function

2) They both have fairly large immigrant/culturally-diverse populations (unlike, say, Quebec City - which is 97% or more white francophone but which is otherwise also a midsize metro area largely administrative in function)

3) They're both overshadowed - in population size and overall importance - by larger cities that are fairly nearby (Columbus is near Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Detroit, etc.; Ottawa is near Montreal)
I don't find Columbus to be terribly diverse but like you said its all relative. We do boast one of the largest African populations in the U.S., mostly notably Somalian and Ethiopian communities. There also is a growing Mexican community on the west side.

I might be biased but I don't think Cleveland or Cincinnati are drastically larger or more important than Columbus at this point in time.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:38 AM

13,088 posts, read 13,442,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I don't find Columbus to be terribly diverse but like you said its all relative. We do boast one of the largest African populations in the U.S., mostly notably Somalian and Ethiopian communities. There also is a growing Mexican community on the west side.

I might be biased but I don't think Cleveland or Cincinnati are drastically larger or more important than Columbus at this point in time.
Columbus' diversity is more recent than in other places, but it's definitely there now. It's foreign-born is the highest it's ever been in totals and the highest % of population since the 1880s. The number of census tracts that would be considered integrated (with at least 3 prominent racial groups) has risen from just 2 in 1990 to 98 in 2015, a 4800% increase.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:57 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,392,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Columbus' diversity is more recent than in other places, but it's definitely there now. It's foreign-born is the highest it's ever been in totals and the highest % of population since the 1880s. The number of census tracts that would be considered integrated (with at least 3 prominent racial groups) has risen from just 2 in 1990 to 98 in 2015, a 4800% increase.
Diversity is all relative. Compared to some other Midwestern cities or large towns Columbus may be less homogeneous and considered a true melting pot. I come from New Jersey/Metro NYC where my high school was 40% Asian and my white friends spoke Portuguese, Serbian, Hebrew, Polish, Spanish, Italian etc. fluently and regularly visited their country of origin. To me Columbus is pretty white-bread with a large black/African-population. Although growing the Latino community is not very visible outside of the small west side community and there is not really a sizeable Asian community to my knowledge outside of Dublin.

Columbus, like the majority of American cities, is still blatantly segregated. The vast majority of black people live east of I-71.

I'm not knocking Columbus since it's a place that I love dearly. Maybe Columbus's diversity is lost on me but I'm certainly willing to learn more about it.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
For this reason, I think I disagree with your point #3. Columbus is not overshadowed by any of Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati or Pittsburgh). It's actually a huge draw and many young Midwesterners move there from those 4 cities you listed. Ottawa, on the other hand, is overshadowed by Montreal in terms of buzz and cache.
Being Jewish, I was thinking of the Jewish communities as well as general populations of each of those cities. Columbus has a much smaller Jewish community than Cleveland, Detroit, and even Pittsburgh (though it's about the same size as Cincinnati's). Ottawa certainly has a much smaller Jewish community than Montreal; as a matter of fact, Ottawa Jewry numbers less than that of Columbus or Cincinnati, while Montreal Jewry numbers more than that of Cleveland, Detroit, and certainly Pittsburgh.

Plus, a substantial number of Montrealers have moved to Ottawa over the years (not as many as have moved to Toronto, but still...), just as people from the rest of Ohio, plus Detroit, etc. have moved to Columbus over the years - for the sake of living in a smaller but more white-collar metropolitan area with brighter [governmental and technological] job prospects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or