Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 02:50 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well that's mostly from an industry perspective if we're being real about it. I prefer Atlanta overall but in terms of a more grassroots, homegrown, organic music scene, Philly bests Atlanta.
True, but if you think about, for there to be so many people in the "industry" in Atlanta, how much undiscovered talent is there at the grassroots level? I'd assume the numbers would be very high in that regard as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 02:53 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
True, but if you think about, for there to be so many people in the "industry" in Atlanta, how much undiscovered talent is there at the grassroots level? I'd assume the numbers would be very high in that regard as well.
You could say that about any sizable city. But you can't really go off unknowns.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
You could say that about any sizable city. But you can't really go off unknowns.
That is true as well, but people aren't moving from Atlanta to Philly to be discovered. People are moving from Philly to Atlanta. So, now you have the people from there, and people from other parts of the country moving to Atlanta for get into the industry. We know, at the very least, Atlanta is a musical hotbed, and that musicians are migrating to Atlanta and not away from it. I'm certain that the same isn't happening in regards to Philly considering that NYC is right up the street.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:05 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
That is true as well, but people aren't moving from Atlanta to Philly to be discovered. People are moving from Philly to Atlanta. So, now you have the people from there, and people from other parts of the country moving to Atlanta for get into the industry. We know, at the very least, Atlanta is a musical hotbed, and that musicians are migrating to Atlanta and not away from it. I'm certain that the same isn't happening in regards to Philly considering that NYC is right up the street.
Honestly, that's a downside to Atlanta from my perspective but that's another discussion for another day.

Philly wins when it comes to the grassroots musical scene.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:07 PM

368 posts, read 453,561 times
Quote:
I am, by no means, trying to short change Philly's legacy as a music city. Philly is one of the all-time greats when it comes to music. I was referring to the current state of music, which I think, Philly can't touch Atlanta. To break it down further, I'm speaking from a Hip-hop and R&B standpoint. The only cities that are keeping up in with ATL in Hip-hop and R&B is Chicago, LA.
Philly beats Atlanta in hip hop and r&b. Since hip hops inception, it was Always on the scene. Philly had rappers like schooly D, fresh prince & jazzy jeff in the 80s. Then in the 90s up until the 2000s, we had Bahamadia, Jamal, The Roots, Major Figgas/Gillie da kid, State Property ( beanie sigel, freeway, p crakk, oschino, omilio). And now we got Meek mil, kur, Ar-Ab, dark lo. And thats only the ones I can remember, Philly hip hop scene. Eastcoast hip hop, which is essentially the original form of hip hop, is basically NYC NJ & philly. As for r&b, Philly birthed the neo-soul sound, with artists like Jill scott & musiq soulchild. And even 70s r&b we had legends like Teddy Pendergass.

The only good artists that I can think of to come out of Atlanta are TI and Goodie mob. Trap "hip hop" ain real hip hop.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Honestly, that's a downside to Atlanta from my perspective but that's another discussion for another day.

Philly wins when it comes to the grassroots musical scene.
This is how to disagree respectfully. I do wonder how you can gauge what city has the best grassroots music scene if it's underground, though.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 04-15-2017 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-15-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Philly beats Atlanta in hip hop and r&b. Since hip hops inception, it was Always on the scene. Philly had rappers like schooly D, fresh prince & jazzy jeff in the 80s. Then in the 90s up until the 2000s, we had Bahamadia, Jamal, The Roots, Major Figgas/Gillie da kid, State Property ( beanie sigel, freeway, p crakk, oschino, omilio). And now we got Meek mil, kur, Ar-Ab, dark lo. And thats only the ones I can remember, Philly hip hop scene. Eastcoast hip hop, which is essentially the original form of hip hop, is basically NYC NJ & philly. As for r&b, Philly birthed the neo-soul sound, with artists like Jill scott & musiq soulchild. And even 70s r&b we had legends like Teddy Pendergass.

The only good artists that I can think of to come out of Atlanta are TI and Goodie mob. Trap "hip hop" ain real hip hop.
Atlanta wins Hiphop and R&B in this day and age. People aren't checking for Philly, or NYC for that matter. This is me speaking objectively: NYC and Philly fell off. They don't have the influence that they once had.

I love old school hiphop and R&B, it's mostly what I listen to.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:10 PM

93,229 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Just curious OP, but what kind of neighborhood are you looking for?

Old 04-15-2017, 05:48 PM

9 posts, read 23,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post

That's a good point. I'm a more neo soul flavour and rock and blues over hip hop really. Does ATL have this kind of stuff if you know, even on the local or night event level?

Old 04-15-2017, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 23,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious OP, but what kind of neighborhood are you looking for?
I don't really care, I do love access to things like parks, stores/restaurants, and activities, music, and I know that Philly has this for sure. But I think above all of the mentioned I would rather have access to good public transportation so that would be the most important factor in a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City