Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What region is most dominated by a single metropolitan region and what is that metropolitan region?
Northeast (New York) 39 28.68%
Midwest (Chicago) 86 63.24%
West (Los Angeles) 2 1.47%
Northeast (Washington D.C.) 1 0.74%
Midwest (Detroit) 0 0%
West (San Francisco Bay Area) 0 0%
Northeast (Boston or Philadelphia) 0 0%
Midwest (Minneapolis) 0 0%
West (Seattle) 3 2.21%
Other (state) 5 3.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:50 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,863,819 times

Advertisements

I'm in Eastern Kansas and I vote for Chicago. Chicago has a ridiculous amount of influence for how far away it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 02:30 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,887,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin123 View Post
chicago dominates the midwest. no other city in the region comes close to it. The west and NE isn't dominated by one city
Lets find out about that;

Population of Census Defined Regions, 2016:
1. Western United States: 76,657,000
2. Midwestern United States: 67,941,429
3. Northeastern United States: 56,209,510

Population of Census Defined PCSAs, 2016:
1. Greater New York (CSA): 23,689,255 (Northeast)
2. Greater Los Angeles (CSA): 18,688,022 (West)
3. Greater Chicago (CSA): 9,882,634 (Midwest)

Population of a PCSA as a percentage of its census defined host Region, 2016:
1. Greater New York CSA represents 42.144% of the entire census defined Northeastern United States' total population
2. Greater Los Angeles CSA represents 24.380% of the entire census defined Western United States' total population
3. Greater Chicago CSA represents 14.545% of the entire census defined Western United States' total population

https://www.census.gov/popclock/data...mponent=growth

Breakdown pans out similarly when you also look at things like GDP, O&D, Imports & Exports, Total Personal Income, Federal Funding, Immigration, and so on and so forth. It stays 1) New York; 2) Los Angeles; 3) Chicago for all of those things when you calculate the percentage basis a PCSA dominates the host census defined region it is in.

Chicago dominates the Midwest more than Los Angeles does the West when in comes to Fortune 500/Fortune 1000/Fortune Global 500 corporate headquarter locations. The order for that goes 1) New York; 2) Chicago; 3) Los Angeles. Otherwise it seems the order in other metrics, outlined in the paragraph above, is 1) New York; 2) Los Angeles; 3) Chicago.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-22-2017 at 02:45 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 02:52 PM

I will say this though and this is probably Chicago's strongest argument (by far);

If you had to envision the likes of Greater New York, Greater Los Angeles, and Greater Chicago just disappearing off the face of the Earth to unexplainable causes, which region would suffer and hurt the most?

The answer is the Midwest. The Midwest would almost assuredly lose its showcase city, its only showcase city on a global platform. The Midwest would lose the only city it has that is universally viewed as a world class city and destination. There are no other world class cities in the Midwest; of course the Twin Cities are nice and respectable but more on the caliber of a Seattle, San Diego, or Denver. A second tier type of place. Very nice, very respectable, and very well rounded but by no means a world-beater. Greater Detroit has lots of strengths but lots of weaknesses that keep it from being a world class city as well, so it too is a second tier place.

The West has the San Francisco Bay Area and the Northeast has Washington DC (not the census defined Northeast, but the functional 'real world' Northeast). The Midwest doesn't really have that.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:06 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,202,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Lets find out about that;

Population of Census Defined Regions, 2016:
1. Western United States: 76,657,000
2. Midwestern United States: 67,941,429
3. Northeastern United States: 56,209,510

Population of Census Defined PCSAs, 2016:
1. Greater New York (CSA): 23,689,255 (Northeast)
2. Greater Los Angeles (CSA): 18,688,022 (West)
3. Greater Chicago (CSA): 9,882,634 (Midwest)

Population of a PCSA as a percentage of its census defined host Region, 2016:
1. Greater New York CSA represents 42.144% of the entire census defined Northeastern United States' total population
2. Greater Los Angeles CSA represents 24.380% of the entire census defined Western United States' total population
3. Greater Chicago CSA represents 14.545% of the entire census defined Western United States' total population

https://www.census.gov/popclock/data...mponent=growth

Breakdown pans out similarly when you also look at things like GDP, O&D, Imports & Exports, Total Personal Income, Federal Funding, Immigration, and so on and so forth. It stays 1) New York; 2) Los Angeles; 3) Chicago for all of those things when you calculate the percentage basis a PCSA dominates the host census defined region it is in.

Chicago dominates the Midwest more than Los Angeles does the West when in comes to Fortune 500/Fortune 1000/Fortune Global 500 corporate headquarter locations. The order for that goes 1) New York; 2) Chicago; 3) Los Angeles. Otherwise it seems the order in other metrics, outlined in the paragraph above, is 1) New York; 2) Los Angeles; 3) Chicago.
I'm missing your point? Did the tread voting fail your expectation? Voters perceptions are in total error?
No one is voting Midwest with Chicago as most dominant for a region by population in a radius of a for hundred miles. Nor number of fortune 500 companies?
Quote:
Northeast, Midwest, or the West: Which region is most dominated by a single metropolitan region?

Make a case for which of the three regions are the most dominated by a single metropolitan region with regard to social, political, cultural, economic, historic factors. I wont add any further definitions to the factors, since I want to leave as open to individual interpretation as possible.

Metropolitan region = PCSA, in the context that I'm using it as in this comparison.

So which region is most dominated by a single metropolitan region and what is the metropolitan region that dominates this region in this manner?
Your opening post as the OP did not include it and you said you wouldn't add any?
- So is the voting biased
- misconstrued perceptions
- totally off and it has to be NYC to you?

Seems many of your threads missed the mark in voting as YOU think it should be. Many posters did leave why they voted and their perception.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I'm missing your point?
Clearly.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:07 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,315,973 times
Quote:
I will say this though and this is probably Chicago's strongest argument (by far);

If you had to envision the likes of Greater New York, Greater Los Angeles, and Greater Chicago just disappearing off the face of the Earth to unexplainable causes, which region would suffer and hurt the most?

The answer is the Midwest. The Midwest would almost assuredly lose its showcase city, its only showcase city on a global platform. The Midwest would lose the only city it has that is universally viewed as a world class city and destination. There are no other world class cities in the Midwest; of course the Twin Cities are nice and respectable but more on the caliber of a Seattle, San Diego, or Denver. A second tier type of place. Very nice, very respectable, and very well rounded but by no means a world-beater. Greater Detroit has lots of strengths but lots of weaknesses that keep it from being a world class city as well, so it too is a second tier place.

The West has the San Francisco Bay Area and the Northeast has Washington DC (not the census defined Northeast, but the functional 'real world' Northeast). The Midwest doesn't really have that.
This is not not true. Grew up in ohio. Never noticed chicago. Insane. "Midwest" is a huge area.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:54 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,133,961 times
It's a running joke in Chicago that if you go bar hopping in Wrigleyville or Bucktown on a Friday night, everybody is from Michigan or Indiana or Ohio or Wisconsin or Iowa. Maybe not, say, Minnesota so much, but clearly a substantial portion of the Midwest's young professionals are gravitating toward Chicago. A few posts in this thread argue that Detroit, not Chicago, dominates Michigan -- but my wife is a Michigan State graduate from a town outside the Detroit area, and almost nobody she grew up with or went to college with ended up in Detroit. Plenty of them live in Chicago.

I never got the same sense with the Northeast and New York. If you hit the bar scene in whatever Brooklyn neighborhood is cool this week (I've been gone for almost four years, which is too long to know anymore), you'll find people from Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, yes, but you're almost as likely to find people from Oklahoma or Washington State. That's because New York dominates everything, but I don't think it dominates the Northeast disproportionately. In Chicago there's definitely this sense that you're in the capital of the Midwest.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:38 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,139,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
It's a running joke in Chicago that if you go bar hopping in Wrigleyville or Bucktown on a Friday night, everybody is from Michigan or Indiana or Ohio or Wisconsin or Iowa. Maybe not, say, Minnesota so much, but clearly a substantial portion of the Midwest's young professionals are gravitating toward Chicago. A few posts in this thread argue that Detroit, not Chicago, dominates Michigan -- but my wife is a Michigan State graduate from a town outside the Detroit area, and almost nobody she grew up with or went to college with ended up in Detroit. Plenty of them live in Chicago.

I never got the same sense with the Northeast and New York. If you hit the bar scene in whatever Brooklyn neighborhood is cool this week (I've been gone for almost four years, which is too long to know anymore), you'll find people from Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, yes, but you're almost as likely to find people from Oklahoma or Washington State. That's because New York dominates everything, but I don't think it dominates the Northeast disproportionately. In Chicago there's definitely this sense that you're in the capital of the Midwest.
I think the title of this thread is tricky. If it was worded which region is most influenced by or affected by, I think it would be easier to debate. NYC clearly influences and affects its region the most just by sheer size and proximity, but it doesn't dominate it. Philly, Boston and DC are all too prominent in their own right. Whereas I can see why Chicago is getting the most votes going by the usage of the word dominate, since it's far ahead of its region's lesser tier cities. Minneapolis isn't there yet, and Detroit has fallen off from its glory days.

So yea, NYC influences its region the most. There's literally nowhere you can go in the Northeast and not run into the stereotypical "ex-New Yorker", especially in bars when NYC teams are playing. Yankees fans are everywhere, Giants fans are everywhere--even the Mets and Jets have their supporters out of the Tri-State. I've seen legit arguments/borderline fights when the Eagles and Giants play. I was just in Center City Philadelphia last night, and randomly walked by a restaurant called "Slice of Brooklyn" (and I know of another called NYPD Pizza not too far away). There are places like Barcade that have branched down to Philly from NYC. While print media is dying, I can still easily grab a copy of the NY Daily News or NY Post from any Wawa here in Wilmington. I've gone to an Orioles game against the Yankees at Camden Yards and seen nearly as many Yankees fans as O's fans in the stands--and this is recent, when the Os have been the AL East's best team. New York has four of the country's top 10 busiest air routes, and none of those cities are even in the Northeast! The pull and influence within the Northeast is something that I'm not sure can be measured quite as easily, but it's definitely there.

Last edited by qworldorder; 04-22-2017 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 07:44 PM

123 posts, read 158,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I totally agree, and so do most on this poll. In order to get to many destinations either by plane or rail, Chicago is a central Hub for the Midwest. Region V in the Federal Govt., home to many govt. agencies in the 6 state Midwest Region is based there and has a wide influence on housing, environmental, and social programs. Entertainment options such as theatre and tourism for the region are based primarily there; the northeast cannot say that, as NYC, Philly, Boston and Washington have their own thriving tourist industries. Many trucking and manufacturing companies are based there, as well as distribution centers for the entire region. In education, Chicago has the largest student population in the region, and has numerous schools such as U of Chicago, Northwestern, Deaul, IIT, UIC, Loyola, Wheaton, Roosevelt, Columbia, etc. are found there. The number of HQ is huge, and continues to take from the surrounding region, recent examples being ConAgra from Omaha and Catapillar from Peoria, all relocating there to take advantage of the educated young populous. The Board of Trade is active and has great impact in the economy of the region, and the number of huge law firms dominates the region.

So why are the posters here shocked that Chicago is running away with this poll?
Ummm, no. Detroit would simply pick up the torch (the city already has it's own theatre and tourist market) and it would have little to no impact on Minneapolis. U of M is already a top university, there's also Toronto to consider which has a better relationship to Michigan than Chicago. I think you're forgetting the world's largest companies exist in Detroit, it's completely independent of Chicagoland.

Philly is basically the New York alternative and would have little significance without NYC. Only Boston and Washington would really do well on their own and Baltimore can't even get it's act together with it's proximity to the capital.

Pretty sure none of you voting for Chicago actually live or have been to the midwest for extended periods of time.

Last edited by newengland17; 04-22-2017 at 07:53 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,139,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
Ummm, no. Detroit would simply pick up the torch (the city already has it's own theatre and tourist market) and it would have little to no impact on Minneapolis. U of M is already a top university, there's also Toronto to consider wich has a better relationship to Michigan than Chicago. I think you're forgetting the world's largest companies exist in Detroit, it's completely independent of Chicagoland.

Philly is basically the New York alternative and would have little significance without NYC. Only Boston and Washington would really do well on their own and Baltimore can't even get it's act together with it's proximity to the capital.

Pretty sure none of you voting for Chicago actually live or have been to the midwest for extended periods of time.
No. Just no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City