Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which pair act more like siblings ?
l.a. / tijuana 11 91.67%
bos / montréal 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:44 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times

Advertisements

these cities are about 130 - 300 miles apart.
which metro has more transplants from the other ?

i havent been to tj but i assume it would be l.a./tj due to the large mexican culture in l.a.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 12:15 PM

related:
what pair has more intermingling ?

Old 04-26-2017, 12:16 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
LA->San Diego->TJ

Old 04-26-2017, 12:39 PM

776 posts, read 955,681 times
A much better comparison , would be Detroit and Windsor, Ontario.,

They are about a mile apart, separated by the Detroit river.

A second one.......Buffalo New York and Fort Erie, Ontario. A mile apart ., separated by the Niagara river.

A third example. Sault St Marie , Michigan, and Sault St Marie, Ontario. Separated by a canal.

A final example. Sarnia , Ontario and Port Huron, Michigan. Separated by a narrow part of Lake St Clair.

It is obvious to me that the OP did not take the time to think this out very well.

Each of the examples above has a daily interaction, between the Canadian and the American side. They listen to each other`s radio and TV stations, read each others newspapers, and have friends
on the other side of the line `. Sports teams play against each other and schools do field trips to each others country.

A great example would be a Detroit Red Wings home game, with them playing the Toronto Maple Leafs. The stands at the Joe will be full of red and white and blue and white sweaters. The Leafs fans are from Windsor, and some come from Toronto, a 4 hour drive away. Same thing at a Jays Game in Toronto against the Detroit Tigers. Rogers Centre is full of Tigers fans.

xxx.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:11 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post

A second one.......Buffalo New York and Fort Erie, Ontario. A mile apart ., separated by the Niagara river.

A third example. Sault St Marie , Michigan, and Sault St Marie, Ontario. Separated by a canal.

A final example. Sarnia , Ontario and Port Huron, Michigan. Separated by a narrow part of Lake St Clair.

It is obvious to me that the OP did not take the time to think this out very well.

Each of the examples above has a daily interaction, between the Canadian and the American side. They listen to each other`s radio and TV stations, read each others newspapers, and have friends
on the other side of the line `. Sports teams play against each other and schools do field trips to each others country.

A great example would be a Detroit Red Wings home game, with them playing the Toronto Maple Leafs. The stands at the Joe will be full of red and white and blue and white sweaters. The Leafs fans are from Windsor, and some come from Toronto, a 4 hour drive away. Same thing at a Jays Game in Toronto against the Detroit Tigers. Rogers Centre is full of Tigers fans.

xxx.
The OP obviously wasn't interested in comparing cities right next to each other on an international border.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:56 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
LA-Tijuana.

Montreal-Boston has some intermingling it's true but not that much.

Montreal intermingles more or at least as much with NYC as it does with Boston.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post

xxx.
yeah, i dont put much thought into internet forums during my lunch breaks.

at the risk of sounding unworldly i havent heard of those cities (except for detroit and buffalo).

Old 04-27-2017, 07:19 AM

776 posts, read 955,681 times
Stanley.

I guess your geographic knowledge is somewhat lacking. Each of the examples that I cited are actually "right next to each other " and meet the concept of "intermingling " with each other.

Here is a bit of geographical knowledge for you.

In order to enter southern Ontario, from the USA, a traveller has to cross a body of water, using a bridge to do so.

The Niagara River, the Detroit river, Lake St Clair, and the narrows at Sault St Marie. And the St Lawrence river at three different locations. In each case, there is a cross border community on either side of the International boundary.

xxx.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:00 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
LA-Tijuana.

Montreal-Boston has some intermingling it's true but not that much.

Montreal intermingles more or at least as much with NYC as it does with Boston.
I was thinking the same things.

First the connection between Los Angeles and Tijuana probably dwarfs the Montreal-Boston connection simply because of the huge immigration into California and families and friends visiting each other back and forth.

Second, I was thinking Montreal probably has more of a overall connection with New York than Boston.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:29 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I was thinking the same things.

First the connection between Los Angeles and Tijuana probably dwarfs the Montreal-Boston connection simply because of the huge immigration into California and families and friends visiting each other back and forth.

Second, I was thinking Montreal probably has more of a overall connection with New York than Boston.
Montreal-Boston and Montreal-NYC are fairly similar distance-wise, with the latter being about an hour's drive more. But it's a straight shot down the Adirondacks as opposed to the route with twists and turns to Boston.

LA-Tijuana definitely has more exchanges due to human migration. There hasn't been a significant migratory movement from Montreal (and Quebec) to the NE US in over 100 years. So family ties have largely faded over that century.

That said, some immigrant origin families do have ties across the border in this part of the world. In this sense, the groups involved (Italians, Ashkenazi Jews, etc.) tend to favour Montreal-NYC as the concentrations are greater than in Boston. From what I gather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City