Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 AM

25 posts, read 31,733 times

Advertisements

Which major cities are the most Mexican in all aspects of life? By that I mean not only political representation, but also culture, economic control and social life. Which city is a better place for people who prefer to use Spanish in every day life outside of enclaves of new immigrants and working class people which are in every city but in different social circles and settings? Which city has the most developed and entrenched Mexican upper class, even in cities where there are a lot of Latinos like Miami or Phoenix it seems that most of the economy power is held by Anglo white people, Jewish people (Miami specifically but also NYC and Chicago) and the Latinos that do exist in those circles are usually totally Americanized, primarily English speaking etc.

Also, which cities have the best educational opportunities for Latino families who want their children to be well educate without destroying their cultural heritage, as in good schools that are primarily Spanish medium?

So where?

I'm asking about cities in the US only, so if a bigot who doesn't like the reality of the demographic trajectory of the United States wants to tell me to go to Mexico I would refrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 07:57 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Damn white people and Jews in America getting in the way of Mexican everything!

I'd suggest Mexico though.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:03 AM

25 posts, read 31,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Damn white people and Jews in America getting in the way of Mexican everything!

I'd suggest Mexico though.

Who said that there was something intrinsically wrong with whites and Jews? Not me. However it is a problem from a systemic standpoint if a city is majority Latino but there are more Johnsons and Goldsteins in the uppe class than Garcias and Ortizs.

A large part of the US is in historically Mexican territory, and Mexicans are the fastest growing group in America. Trump or you won't change that. Why move to Mexico? Mexico is coming here, ad despite the comparisons to Irish or Italian people and their assimilation, Mexico and Greater Latin America shares a border with the US and an essentially endless supply of people.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:12 AM

23,529 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I'd say Los Angeles and parts of Southern California.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 AM

345 posts, read 455,726 times
I would say San Antonio, based on its long history starting with the Spanish missions to present day where the city has a major Mexican presence, including in the upper political echelons.

Houston is up there, with Hispanics moving into the majority. Like with many cities, there are some neighborhoods that have a strong Mexican feel to them. The City Council has had several Hispanic members, but I don't recall a latin mayor serving. I have no idea about the wealthy upper class - being a middle class city data commenter, I am far removed from them!

Can't speak for LA, although I am sure the Mexican presence is strong there.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:25 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
I would think San Antonio more than Houston or Los Angeles.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:54 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I would think San Antonio more than Houston or Los Angeles.
And I would think El Paso over San Antonio. However the question is broad. It's not like the culture of Mexico is monolithic.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And I would think El Paso over San Antonio. However the question is broad. It's not like the culture of Mexico is monolithic.
This is my thought too. Places like LA, Houston, Chicago, and Dallas have more diverse Mexican populations than San Antonio, El Paso, The Rio Grande Valley, Phoenix, or San Diego even though the later are more monolithically Mexican.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:26 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Why wouldn't the default answer, LA, be the right answer for this question?

Old 05-04-2017, 10:13 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CondeCasio View Post
even in cities where there are a lot of Latinos like Miami or Phoenix it seems that most of the economy power is held by Anglo white people, Jewish people (Miami specifically but also NYC and Chicago) and the Latinos that do exist in those circles are usually totally Americanized, primarily English speaking etc.
Yes, why should anyone be accepted to assimilate in order to make it in the United States? Why not just transplant and superimpose an entire foreign country as much as possible?

(Probably just being trolled here given the OP's second post on this thread.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City