Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:24 AM

405 posts, read 476,111 times

Advertisements

I am pursuing a career in Healthcare Admin, am more right leaning (from NY so living in a somewhat liberal area doesn't effect me that much), HATE the cold (all these cities seem to cover that), and have a price range of up to 1400 a month for an apartment. More about me:

I prefer greenery, although I make an exception for Phoenix because IMO the scenery there is BEAUTIFUL with the deserts, etc.

I have no preference between dry/humid heat, anything except cold will do (Yes I am aware all get painfully hot over the summer, however, I have spent summers in FL and NC and have managed fine)

I love the beach/palm trees, however I also do love green and rolling hills while being within driving distance to a beach.

I'd prefer to be in an area where a slight majority of people are like me/my age (European mut/mid 20s), however I do not mind diversity at all, like i said I grew up in NY.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thank you for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 01:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Which Florida cities?

Old 05-09-2017, 05:20 PM

405 posts, read 476,111 times
I'm open to any of them as I have family in Tampa and Miami, and Orlando/Jacksonville both interest me as well.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:02 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
For me personally out of this group, I would take Atlanta. However, given your criteria, I may tell you to look in the Orlando area, specifically Winter Garden/Mount Dora/Clermont. They have green rolling hills, easily accessible forest preserves and access to downtown ORL, and are only about an hour from the Atlantic and 90 minutes from the Gulf.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Just move to Florida. Based on what is important to you, that state seems like a good fit. You're right-leaning, don't seem to care about urbanity or cultural offerings, you want to be around other white people, and you don't mind the sweltering heat. North and parts of Central Florida fit you perfectly, except for the rolling hills which I'm sure is a minor trade-off. Jacksonville or Tampa would be the best bets in certain suburbs. Enjoy.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:13 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
I am pursuing a career in Healthcare Admin, am more right leaning(from NY so living in a somewhat liberal area doesn't effect me that much), HATE the cold (all these cities seem to cover that), and have a price range of up to 1400 a month for an apartment. More about me:

I prefer greenery, although I make an exception for Phoenix because IMO the scenery there is BEAUTIFUL with the deserts, etc.

I have no preference between dry/humid heat, anything except cold will do (Yes I am aware all get painfully hot over the summer, however, I have spent summers in FL and NC and have managed fine)

I love the beach/palm trees, however I also do love green and rolling hills while being within driving distance to a beach.

I'd prefer to be in an area where a slight majority of people are like me/my age (European mut/mid 20s), however I do not mind diversity at all, like i said I grew up in NY.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thank you for the feedback!
If this is part of your criteria then AZ or TX may suit you better.
You are too young to worry about the political atmosphere of a place you might consider moving too.
best of luck !

Old 05-09-2017, 10:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
houston has great health care but its really diverse.I think San Antone has a good healthcare sector.There are lots of hispanics there but theres still a good number of anglos there.San Antone is more old-school and traditional than Austin.Austin is liberal but its the whitest least diverse city in the state of Texas.San Antone and Austin are driving distance to beaches and so is Houston but the beaches aint as good as Florida.San Antone and Austin are right by the Hill Country.I think Phoenix may be more conservative than San Antone.Houston is not conservative really.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:06 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Atlanta wins. It's green with rolling hills and not to far from some of the best beaches in the country.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:06 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
If you want greenery you'll get sick of Arizona deserts I guarantee it. Remember you are going for months on months most likely without a trip to a forest. Let that sink in. You will be working, doing things in town on the weekends, camping trips up the I-17 will be slim at least. Can you imagine living in a desert for months on end? Almost any grass that's here is dead, even in the parks. Trees are scarce and the ones that are here are usually low coverage ones (like palo verdes). Cacti don't really make a place seem "green".

Phoenix metro is about 41% Hispanic.

Arizona is considerably more liberal than it appears due to some of the worst voter turnout rate in the nation, only slightly better than Hawaii, heavy FLDS influence in the northern counties (which matter more in state politics), and snowbirds voting here. Most people are considerably moderate in Phoenix. In other words, due to less than 40% (non-Presidental years average around low 30s at best) of Arizonans voting, the politics really don't reflect the community. Highest voter turnout rate I've seen for Arizona was 56%, and that was the past general election. Mesa/Gilbert/Tempe and northern Arizona are the conservative enclaves with Flagstaff, Phoenix proper, Sedona, Tucson, Yuma all voting Democrat usually. Arizonans have generally "given up" when it comes to politics. That being said, it's not like conservatives are alone here, but if you plan on living in the main part of Phoenix, depending who you are, you won't feel like you're in a conservative area. It'll feel very apolitical most of the time.

I think you are looking for Texas honestly. Conservative, green for most of it, and known for extensive healthcare services. Arizona's healthcare services, for anyone who needs a specialty doctor, is subpar from my experiences, though this can vary from person to person.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:18 AM

27,202 posts, read 43,896,295 times
[quote=tman7117;48096428]I love the beach/palm trees, however I also do love green and rolling hills while being within driving distance to a beach.
/QUOTE]

I'm sure you realize the disparity in this desire and while possible in some instances to find, not only will it not mesh with your wish for diversity and lots of younger professionals (if choosing rolling green hills) the reality of going to the beach diminishes considerably when it's no longer convenient. Any trip lasting an hour or more becomes a planned event versus spur of the moment, and the reality of those beach trips occurring frequently for a busy working professional over the course of a year will decrease to the point where you'll wonder "how did I wind up here?". My point being what's most important to you....are you willing to lose some diversity and more of a social scene for green?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City