Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which city is "water" most ingrained in its culture?
Boston 30 7.92%
Los Angeles 14 3.69%
Miami 178 46.97%
New Orleans 26 6.86%
San Francisco 7 1.85%
Seattle 79 20.84%
Other 45 11.87%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:51 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Sure for an outsider but still has no bearing. Whether it makes others wants to live there are not is completely irrelevant.
It is very relevant for people who already live there as well. Therefore, I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:56 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is very relevant for people who already live there as well. Therefore, I disagree.
How? They already know and understand their culture so why does it matter whether outsiders know it and/or are drawn to it?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
How? They already know and understand their culture so why does it matter whether outsiders know it and/or are drawn to it?
A city's offerings can be enjoyed by residents and visitors alike, obviously.

If someone is initially drawn to Seattle because of mountainous terrain or tech jobs or hiking or seafood or liberal politics, then they are not suddenly going to be barred from those things if they end up living there.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
A city's offerings can be enjoyed by residents and visitors alike, obviously.

If someone is initially drawn to Seattle because of mountainous terrain or tech jobs or hiking or seafood or liberal politics, then they are not suddenly going to be barred from those things if they end up living there.
What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with what I said or asked. Do you not understand what I was asking? I never said anything about newcomers not being able to enjoy the local amenities, what on earth are you rambling about?

The rainy climate is a defining feature/cultural aspect of Seattle. That statement is true whether or not it attracts people to Seattle. Therefore it's completely irrelevant on what draw it has to outsiders.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with what I said or asked. Do you not understand what I was asking? I never said anything about newcomers not being able to enjoy the local amenities, what on earth are you rambling about?
You didn't understand my response, so I'll try again and be briefer:

Old-time residents of a city can enjoy the same cultural offerings of that city that visitors can, obviously.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
You didn't understand my response, so I'll try again:

Old-time residents of a city can enjoy the same cultural offerings of that city that visitors can.
Great, who cares? Has nothing to do with what I was asking and no one claimed otherwise either.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:16 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,919,372 times
Quote:
You didn't understand my response, so I'll try again and be briefer:

Old-time residents of a city can enjoy the same cultural offerings of that city that visitors can, obviously.
Usually it's the reverse, locals do things that visitors can't or won't, for instance the water in the Seattle area is too cold for most people considering most people in the US are spoiled with warm water, but Seattleites make do with what they have.

http://bestseattleparks.com/wp-conte...2/IMG_1140.JPG

http://www.swimacrossamerica.org/ima...le_header2.jpg

Old 05-23-2017, 12:55 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
I really hope people are not voting for Seattle just because it rains a lot! I can see people saying Seattle has a strong relationship with the Puget Sound or Lake Washington but rain itself has nothing to do with culture.

Regardless of the reason, anyone who even remotely knows South Florida and is honest will say the winner for this poll should be Miami. The real battle is for SECOND place.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:45 PM

591 posts, read 819,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I really hope people are not voting for Seattle just because it rains a lot! I can see people saying Seattle has a strong relationship with the Puget Sound or Lake Washington but rain itself has nothing to do with culture.

Regardless of the reason, anyone who even remotely knows South Florida and is honest will say the winner for this poll should be Miami. The real battle is for SECOND place.
Aside from the rain, there are many aspects of Seattle that prove that water is indeed ingrained in its culture:

- Home to the crew of Discovery's "Deadliest Catch"

- Seattle's annual Seafair festival
"Seafair was designed to attract tourists and showcase marine events in keeping with Seattle’s boast as the “boating capital of the world.”"
History

- The nations top rowing university (UW has won 9 of the last 10 IRA Men's championships)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interc...Overall_Points

- Home to the longest floating bridge in the world (520 bridge at 7,580 ft long)

- Home to the world famous Pike Place Fish Market

- Home to the largest fleet of ferries in the US - 22 vessels
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Ferries

Old 05-23-2017, 01:48 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Usually it's the reverse, locals do things that visitors can't or won't, for instance the water in the Seattle area is too cold for most people considering most people in the US are spoiled with warm water, but Seattleites make do with what they have.
You can swim in cold water. You just can't do it for long without a wet suit. Your heart rate will increase and your veins will constrict causing you to lose feel in your limbs. And if you can't move your limbs, then you can't tread water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City