Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The next urban, iconic, "big city"?
Los Angeles 53 21.99%
Seattle 63 26.14%
Denver 11 4.56%
Minneapolis 13 5.39%
Atlanta 33 13.69%
Miami 19 7.88%
Baltimore 5 2.07%
Pittsburgh 8 3.32%
St. Louis 3 1.24%
Other (please name) 33 13.69%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:57 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I don't see where it indicates he had a strong reaction.
In his defense I bag on DFW a lot because I lived there, and other than being a cheap place to live with a really healthy economy I don't get the allure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 05:05 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Yeah, but these are largely apartment megacomplexes right on the line or just outside downtown. Something Charlotte currently lacks and always will are true, dense, mixed-use neighborhoods with mixed housing types and corner stores like you find in the classic cities. It used to have those neighborhoods on the periphery of downtown, but bulldozed them for government facilities, highways, and redevelopment. (Not to say that other cities aren't guilty of doing the same)
I agree that Charlotte lacks those types of neighborhoods but so do other cities on this list. I'm in no way arguing that Charlotte should be in the running here, but the type of urbanization happening there is akin to what's happening in several other cities--which is why I argued that there will never be an iconic, big city in the vein of NYC, Boston, Philly, SF, etc. That ship has long sailed.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:12 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,062 times
Quote:
An excellent transit system and extensive Victorian architecture/old-school walkable neighborhoods, for one.
I guess State Thomas, Kessler, Munger Place Historic District, Swiss Ave. Historic District, and much of the Park Cities and M Streets are non-existent in Dallas. LOL. The Cedars or Deep Ellum don't exist either. Get real. Don't **** on my leg and tell me it's raining. Have you actually explored Dallas?

While I can acknowledge Denver has more of it, it's nowhere near to the degree of an older midwestern/northeastern city. Not a whole lot to write home about.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:12 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
In his defense I bag on DFW a lot because I lived there, and other than being a cheap place to live with a really healthy economy I don't get the allure.
I haven't been and my friend has been trying to get me to come see him and by golly I wish he chose a more attractive place so I'd want to visit.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:17 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I haven't been and my friend has been trying to get me to come see him and by golly I wish he chose a more attractive place so I'd want to visit.
Why not visit with an open mind? Now if you have limited vacation days, then I'd say no. Go to the beach instead

Old 05-12-2017, 05:23 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
If you've never been, how would you know if it's attractive enough or not? Pictures don't always do a place justice.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:28 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,299,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
There are a lot of Houston homers on this board, but you're one of the best.
Many on CD have poor reading comprehension. But you, by far, have the worst case.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:42 PM

307 posts, read 330,297 times
I think if the poll was going by the whole metro area instead of just small city propers the results would be quite different.

Last edited by pinytr; 05-12-2017 at 05:52 PM..

Old 05-12-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
No it's not. Houston doesn't have notable architecture that sets it apart from other cities in the world, not on the scale of NYC, Chicago, London, etc. And my favorite building is the BOA. Culture in Houston is not palpable nor overwhelmingly unique when compared to great iconic, urban cities in America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep. It's just a big city. Architecturally, nothing stands out about it. When you look at a picture of Chicago, NYC, or Seattle, you recognize those cities instantly.
A common mistake in attribution, due to lack of consideration of several factors. For example, with architecture, the recognizability of NYC, Chicago, etc over Houston is more likely the result of their greater presence in media, rather than any intrinsic distinctiveness in the buildings themselves?

Old 05-12-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You're massively underselling the outdoorsiness of Denver compared to Dallas. On a scale from 1-10 DFW as a whole is a 2, maybe a 3. Take out the lakes and DFW drops to a 1. Denver's an 8 or a 9.

Denver also has a better year-round climate. IMNSHO a Denver winter is a thousand times more tolerable than the beatdown that is a craptastic Dallas summer.

Denver also has a much more cohesive urban core than Dallas does. Denver does a much better job of preserving its history, too. Dallas, OTOH, likes to take wrecking balls to historic buildings.
At the very least, you know what to expect with a Dallas summer, allowing outdoor options to be reliable, given adaptation. Can't say the same for a Denver winter; so unpredictable that even the native environment gets killed off. Combine that with use of mornings/evenings on hot summer days, along with the milder winters of Dallas, and you have a longer reliable window for outdoor leisure and activity than seen in Denver.

As far as historical preservation, Denver was a larger city than Dallas historically, until 1950 or so. It tore as much as Dallas did, probably even more, it just happens to have a greater stock:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver#Demographics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas#Demographics

Last edited by Texyn; 05-12-2017 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City