Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best city among these cities ?
Cincinnati 23 9.47%
Cleveland 19 7.82%
Detroit 22 9.05%
Indianapolis 14 5.76%
Kansas City 17 7.00%
Milwaukee 12 4.94%
St. Louis 22 9.05%
Minneapolis 107 44.03%
Omaha 7 2.88%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:48 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,377 times

Advertisements

Never understood Minneapolis, it looks like a sterile boring city to me. When i visited it, it just looked like a modern "pick a name" metropolis without any personality...I would rather live in Detroit, at least it has some character
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 05:48 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparel View Post
I dont think Chicago is the best city. Ive been there numerous times. For being one of the big 3 it is way way way behind LA and NYC. Its the biggest city in the midwest. And after that im not impressed. I believe Minneapolis is a better place to live.
Looks like you live in Minneapolis... Your choice, I like Chicago better.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:57 PM

171 posts, read 179,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Looks like you live in Minneapolis... Your choice, I like Chicago better.
I used to. Now im in the burbs. I just dont think cChicago should br considered the best just because its the biggest

Old 06-14-2017, 05:59 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Minneapolis isn't all that safe...you can look it up. Minneapolis might be a nice city, but it's not on the same level as Chicago...regardless of Chicago's problems.
I guess sometimes people forget Minny used to be termed Murderapolis, that the city itself has a similar poverty rate to Chicago, or that the city itself has only marginally grown or largely declined in population over the past 6 decades (although that will likely be different in 2020) ::shrug:: Minny itself is doing well right now, but it has historically faced similar problems as its Midwestern brethren, and its often viewed as pretty vanilla.

Besides, St. Paul >> Minny on character alone, in my opinion But I think Chicago and Detroit and Milwaukee all have way more character than the Twin Cities, too.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:02 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Never understood Minneapolis, it looks like a sterile boring city to me. When i visited it, it just looked like a modern "pick a name" metropolis without any personality...I would rather live in Detroit, at least it has some character
Preferring Detroit is fine, but I never understood the supposed generic quality of Minneapolis. There are still older neighborhoods intact and the street grid, aside from the highways which has touched virtually every American city, stayed most of the way it did. Downtown's corporate center can be dull, but that's many many US cities and not specific to Minneapolis. Meanwhile, the rest of the city has a wonderful park system with waterfalls and lakes and next door is St. Paul which is another sizable city with interesting neighborhoods.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I guess sometimes people forget Minny used to be termed Murderapolis, that the city itself has a similar poverty rate to Chicago, or that the city itself has only marginally grown or largely declined in population over the past 6 decades (although that will likely be different in 2020) ::shrug:: Minny itself is doing well right now, but it has historically faced similar problems as its Midwestern brethren, and its often viewed as pretty vanilla.

Besides, St. Paul >> Minny on character alone, in my opinion But I think Chicago and Detroit and Milwaukee all have way more character than the Twin Cities, too.
yes Minneapolis had 99 homicides in 1995 and 88 in 1996. Then by 2009 it had just 19 murders and the murder rate remains low to this day. Des Moines has had more murders this year then Minneapolis. Nice try.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
yes Minneapolis had 99 homicides in 1995 and 88 in 1996. Then by 2009 it had just 19 murders and the murder rate remains low to this day. Des Moines has had more murders this year then Minneapolis. Nice try.
Nice try what? Minny has a very colored past, both good and bad. Nothing I wrote was factually incorrect. Minny also still maintains a pretty high violent crime rate, which has been increasing for years. Those are just facts.

http://www.startribune.com/as-year-s...ear/363508991/

http://www.startribune.com/statistic...016/409711555/

Old 06-14-2017, 06:53 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
I subscribe online to the Star Tribune (along with several other newspapers). It tells it like it is.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Nice try what? Minny has a very colored past, both good and bad. Nothing I wrote was factually incorrect. Minny also still maintains a pretty high violent crime rate, which has been increasing for years. Those are just facts.

Violent crime up in Minneapolis for the fifth year in a row - StarTribune.com

Minneapolis violent crime edged up in 2016, stats show - StarTribune.com

All those stats are on par with the national average. 37 murders for a city with over 400,000 people is hardly any. It's actually even safer then I thought. Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-14-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
All those stats are on par with the national average. 37 murders for a city with over 400,000 people is hardly any. It's actually even safer then I thought. Thanks for sharing!
Those stats actually don't show you anything or provide any data about what the national average is. City data shows Minny total crime index approx. twice the national average (and higher than Chicago for the most recent data) but if you choose to ignore the stats then so be it.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Minnesota.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City