Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 5 CSAs have the best universities?
Atlanta 11 5.82%
Austin 4 2.12%
Boston 134 70.90%
Chicago 66 34.92%
Cleveland-Akron 5 2.65%
Columbus 1 0.53%
Dallas-Fort Worth 3 1.59%
Denver 1 0.53%
Detroit 3 1.59%
Houston 4 2.12%
Los Angeles 74 39.15%
Miami 1 0.53%
Minneapolis-Saint Paul 3 1.59%
New York 100 52.91%
Orlando 0 0%
Philadelphia 70 37.04%
Phoenix 1 0.53%
Pittsburgh 12 6.35%
Portland 0 0%
Raleigh-Durham 22 11.64%
Salt Lake City 1 0.53%
San Diego 1 0.53%
San Francisco-San Jose 90 47.62%
Seattle 3 1.59%
Tampa-Saint Petersburg 0 0%
Washington-Baltimore 44 23.28%
Other 6 3.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 04:13 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I voted LA (USC,UCLA,Cal Poly); NY (Columbia, Rutgers, Seton Hall); Bay Area (Cal, Stanford); Baltimore-Washington (John's Hopkins, Georgetown); and of course Boston (MIT, Harvard). Also put a vote in for Chicago (Northwestern) as honorable mention.
No U Chicago (a top three university in the U.S.) for Chicago, or UPenn for Philly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 04:48 PM

324 posts, read 402,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This, Princeton is more in Greater Philadelphia.
No it isn't!! While Princeton is about 50 miles from Midtown Manhattan, it's only 25 miles from the Staten Island border. Therefore, it's a NY suburb, just like Edison, New Brunswick and other NJ cities. Besides, NY has much more pull than Philadelphia does!!

Old 05-20-2017, 05:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
No it isn't!! While Princeton is about 50 miles from Midtown Manhattan, it's only 25 miles from the Staten Island border. Therefore, it's a NY suburb, just like Edison, New Brunswick and other NJ cities. Besides, NY has much more pull than Philadelphia does!!
Where are you getting your distance information from? Via automobile, the shortest distance I've gotten for Staten Island is 28 miles, while Princeton is 26 miles to Northeast Philadelphia.

Regardless, Princeton is not a suburb of NYC, nor is it one of Philadelphia's. It's in its own stand-alone metro (Mercer County) that used to belong to Philadelphia's, and is now a part of NYC's CSA. If anything, it's an exurb of both regions. As many other posters and I from the area have pointed out, there are cultural allegiances and affiliations to both metros. And on a technicality, New York and Philadelphia already meet the requirements for one big CSA, due to Mercer County. Diplomatically, the Census has decided to keep all three metros separate, but this shows you how this isn't something so clear-cut that you can say Princeton is a New York suburb.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...t-short-3.html

Old 05-20-2017, 06:17 PM

324 posts, read 402,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Where are you getting your distance information from? Via automobile, the shortest distance I've gotten for Staten Island is 28 miles, while Princeton is 26 miles to Northeast Philadelphia.

Regardless, Princeton is not a suburb of NYC, nor is it one of Philadelphia's. It's in its own stand-alone metro (Mercer County) that used to belong to Philadelphia's, and is now a part of NYC's CSA. If anything, it's an exurb of both regions. As many other posters and I from the area have pointed out, there are cultural allegiances and affiliations to both metros. And on a technicality, New York and Philadelphia already meet the requirements for one big CSA, due to Mercer County. Diplomatically, the Census has decided to keep all three metros separate, but this shows you how this isn't something so clear-cut that you can say Princeton is a New York suburb.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...t-short-3.html
So let me get this straight, are you nitpicking over 3 miles? Seriously?😱 Let's just agree that Princeton is about equidistant from Staten Island and NE Philly. Now I'm not going to get into the whole CSA/MSA thing because that has been worn out in this thread. And besides, they are subjective (especially MSAs) because they are very political. But let's use a little common sense, which is sometimes lacking here on c-data. Any city that lies within 25 miles of the NY city border is, wait for it, a NY SUBURB, pure and simple!! I don't care about allegiances and affiliations, who roots for who, none of that nonsense. And remember, as great of a city as Philadelphia is, it is almost an afterthought when compared to NY. And if Philly was 25 miles closer, it would be a NY suburb😹!!!

Old 05-20-2017, 06:34 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
I think one of the reasons Mercer county is now in the NYC CSA and not Philly's is the downsized presence of Johnson and Johnson, and the exburbs around Hamilton growing and becoming a popular place to take NJT into the city from. Philadelphia still benefits from philanthropic efforts from Princeton such as the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation funding the Food Trust. I grew up in Bucks and dated a girl from Princeton, I know how close it is. However, it's probably pretty lobsided in terms of how many Princeton grads go to work in NYC compared to Philadelphia. Probably holds true for Penn too. Nature of the beast. I personally would say Leigh and the Leigh Valley in general more align with Philly than NYC even though 78 is a major pipeline into and out of NYC.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:52 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight, are you nitpicking over 3 miles? Seriously?😱 Let's just agree that Princeton is about equidistant from Staten Island and NE Philly. Now I'm not going to get into the whole CSA/MSA thing because that has been worn out in this thread. And besides, they are subjective (especially MSAs) because they are very political. But let's use a little common sense, which is sometimes lacking here on c-data. Any city that lies within 25 miles of the NY city border is, wait for it, a NY SUBURB, pure and simple!! I don't care about allegiances and affiliations, who roots for who, none of that nonsense. And remember, as great of a city as Philadelphia is, it is almost an afterthought when compared to NY. And if Philly was 25 miles closer, it would be a NY suburb😹!!!
Your ignorance is showing here, which just killed any argument you might have had. In the real world, yes, these things matter, especially on such a grey area. Mercer County is literally covered by both the Philly and NYC metros in weather reports and TV/radio broadcasts (though officially still part of the Philadelphia Designated Media Market).

And it's not nitpicking. You're the one who brought distance into the equation--all I did was show you that Philadelphia is slightly closer. That's a fact, which is something that cannot be denied. If being 25 miles from a city's borders are your only criteria for being a suburb, I shudder at what you think of Baltimore, of Fort Worth, of St Paul, etc. There's an important distinction between suburbs, exurbs, satellite cities and principal cities. Calling anything a suburb within 25 miles of a city's limits, whether it's New York or Philadelphia or Timbuktu, is broadcasting your ignorance. Many people also view Staten Island, itself officially a part of New York City, as a suburb. So your big argument hinges on being 25 miles from the most suburban area of the most suburban part of a city? You need to understand nuance.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:32 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 437,817 times
If we are using CSA as the measure (and not MSA), then the rankings look like this:

Gold
  1. Boston: self explanatory
  2. Bay Area: Stanford and Berkeley's impact on society is bigger than the LA schools.
  3. LA: 3 elite schools and a couple of upper tier schools.
Silver

1. NYC: one elite school (Columbia). Several upper tier schools. Princeton/Yale don't seem like the NYC CSA
  2. DC/Baltimore: two elite schools with Hopkins and GTown. GWU and UMD are upper tier but not elite.
  3. Chicago: two elite schools. the rest certainly are not elite, let alone even considered upper tier
  4. Raleigh-Durham: two elite schools.
  5. Philly: one elite school. the rest are a mix of upper tier and average schools
Honorable Mentions
  • Atlanta
  • Pittsburgh

Old 05-20-2017, 08:57 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
If we are using CSA as the measure (and not MSA), then the rankings look like this:

Gold
  1. Boston: self explanatory
  2. Bay Area: Stanford and Berkeley's impact on society is bigger than the LA schools.
  3. LA: 3 elite schools and a couple of upper tier schools.
Silver

1. NYC: one elite school (Columbia). Several upper tier schools. Princeton/Yale don't seem like the NYC CSA
  2. DC/Baltimore: two elite schools with Hopkins and GTown. GWU and UMD are upper tier but not elite.
  3. Chicago: two elite schools. the rest certainly are not elite, let alone even considered upper tier
  4. Raleigh-Durham: two elite schools.
  5. Philly: one elite school. the rest are a mix of upper tier and average schools
Honorable Mentions
  • Atlanta
  • Pittsburgh
So NYU is just an upper tier school but UNC is elite?

Old 05-20-2017, 09:11 PM

149 posts, read 153,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
No U Chicago (a top three university in the U.S.) for Chicago, or UPenn for Philly?

Philadelphia has Princeton within 45 miles, as well as Penn, Villanova, Drexel and Temple.

Anyone not putting Philadelphia in the top 3, and top 5 at the least, is simply not paying attention.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:12 PM

149 posts, read 153,806 times
Quote:

Ever heard of Northeast Philadelphia?

Here's a map.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City