Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 5 CSAs have the best universities?
Atlanta 11 5.82%
Austin 4 2.12%
Boston 134 70.90%
Chicago 66 34.92%
Cleveland-Akron 5 2.65%
Columbus 1 0.53%
Dallas-Fort Worth 3 1.59%
Denver 1 0.53%
Detroit 3 1.59%
Houston 4 2.12%
Los Angeles 74 39.15%
Miami 1 0.53%
Minneapolis-Saint Paul 3 1.59%
New York 100 52.91%
Orlando 0 0%
Philadelphia 70 37.04%
Phoenix 1 0.53%
Pittsburgh 12 6.35%
Portland 0 0%
Raleigh-Durham 22 11.64%
Salt Lake City 1 0.53%
San Diego 1 0.53%
San Francisco-San Jose 90 47.62%
Seattle 3 1.59%
Tampa-Saint Petersburg 0 0%
Washington-Baltimore 44 23.28%
Other 6 3.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:48 PM

313 posts, read 336,508 times

Advertisements

I would say having family living in Princeton and traveling there at least 3 times per month to visit my daughter and grand kids Princeton is more connected to Philly especially in terms of health care . Penn Medicine and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia are deeply involved in health care centers in that area also Jefferson U. Hospital / Rothman Orthopedics are providing outpatient and surgical services in Mercer County . As a side note Penn Med and Princeton Medical Center merging and will provide health care for most of central and parts on North Jersey . Mercer County up until 2010 was considered part of Philadelphia Metro area .
University of Penn is ranked in the top 10 in almost all categories in Grad School rankings / US News Reports .Penn ,Drexel,Temple and U. of Delaware are all rated R-1 by Carnegie as the highest rating for research universities , there are only about 100 universities that have that rating . With 7 Med schools and 4 NCI designated Cancer Centers Philly is a powerhouse in higher Ed.
If interested Milken Institute / research has a great report on universities and tech transfer to commercialization ,Penn placed 6th .

Last edited by kingtutaaa; 05-20-2017 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 10:50 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Princeton is undoubtedly within Philly's reach first. I visited when I was a kid and recall after leaving and riding off I put my head down in the car for what felt like 5-10 mins. I picked my head up and we were crossing the Walt Whitman bridge into Philly.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:30 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedDrinker View Post
Ever heard of Northeast Philadelphia?

Here's a map.
Thanks for this map, which demonstrates how Princeton is much closer to the cultural center of Philadelphia than to Manhattan. Few persons from Princeton University ever journey to Staten Island.

Due to the commuter railroad, which has a branch line into the university, it certainly is convenient to commute to NYC from Philadelphia, offering a different living option for those working in NYC compared to relatively expensive NYC residential options.

King of Prussia Mall once was a popular retail destination for residents of Mercer County, which includes Princeton University. I don't know if that still is the case with the rise of internet retailing.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:25 AM

324 posts, read 402,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Your ignorance is showing here, which just killed any argument you might have had. In the real world, yes, these things matter, especially on such a grey area. Mercer County is literally covered by both the Philly and NYC metros in weather reports and TV/radio broadcasts (though officially still part of the Philadelphia Designated Media Market).

And it's not nitpicking. You're the one who brought distance into the equation--all I did was show you that Philadelphia is slightly closer. That's a fact, which is something that cannot be denied. If being 25 miles from a city's borders are your only criteria for being a suburb, I shudder at what you think of Baltimore, of Fort Worth, of St Paul, etc. There's an important distinction between suburbs, exurbs, satellite cities and principal cities. Calling anything a suburb within 25 miles of a city's limits, whether it's New York or Philadelphia or Timbuktu, is broadcasting your ignorance. Many people also view Staten Island, itself officially a part of New York City, as a suburb. So your big argument hinges on being 25 miles from the most suburban area of the most suburban part of a city? You need to understand nuance.
You're cluelessness is just astounding, and you obviously weren't around when god passed out common sense!!!
What you fail to realize is that I used to live in New Brunswick, so I'm very familiar with the region.
First of all, when did I say that being 25 away from a city limit was my criteria for being a suburb? What I said is that Princeton is a NY suburb that happens to be 25 miles from Staten Island. Obviously, reading comprehension is not one of your strongpoints!!!
Second of all, what is your point about how some people view Staten Island as a suburb. And there are other people who believe in the tooth fairy. Who cares? And for you to put Princeton in the same boat as Baltimore, Ft Worth and St Paul suggests to me that you need to go brush up on your studies!!!😜 I mean, Princeton is a nice town, but IT AIN'T ALL THAT!!!

Old 05-21-2017, 10:27 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
So NYU is just an upper tier school but UNC is elite?
UNC is a Public Ivy. NYU is a cash cow milking off students who want the 'New York hipster experience'

Old 05-22-2017, 06:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
No it isn't!! While Princeton is about 50 miles from Midtown Manhattan, it's only 25 miles from the Staten Island border. Therefore, it's a NY suburb, just like Edison, New Brunswick and other NJ cities. Besides, NY has much more pull than Philadelphia does!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
You're cluelessness is just astounding, and you obviously weren't around when god passed out common sense!!!
What you fail to realize is that I used to live in New Brunswick, so I'm very familiar with the region.
First of all, when did I say that being 25 away from a city limit was my criteria for being a suburb? What I said is that Princeton is a NY suburb that happens to be 25 miles from Staten Island. Obviously, reading comprehension is not one of your strongpoints!!!
Second of all, what is your point about how some people view Staten Island as a suburb. And there are other people who believe in the tooth fairy. Who cares? And for you to put Princeton in the same boat as Baltimore, Ft Worth and St Paul suggests to me that you need to go brush up on your studies!!!�� I mean, Princeton is a nice town, but IT AIN'T ALL THAT!!!
I just quoted your post where you outright state "it's only 25 miles from the Staten Island border. Therefore, it's a NY suburb". Clearly memory recall nor logical debates are not your strong suits, and you've proven yourself the fool. I will not waste my time talking to fools.

Last edited by qworldorder; 05-22-2017 at 07:09 AM..

Old 05-22-2017, 07:01 AM

149 posts, read 153,806 times
Hahahahahaha

Old 05-22-2017, 07:18 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Chicago -

Can include #44 ranked University of Illinois?

Seems like other state schools, which are farther from the cities than U of I, are included in OP list.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:00 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
UNC is a Public Ivy. NYU is a cash cow milking off students who want the 'New York hipster experience'
There is no such thing as a "Public Ivy." UNC is a very good school, no doubt, but elite like Princeton, Yale, Columbia or even Duke? No. It's in the same league as William and Mary, UVA, NYU, and Michigan among others. It's not elite. It's a step below just like NYU is.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I said Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, LA,(the top 4 isn't in order) and Philadelphia. The Philadelphia was the tough one. Could have chosen RDU or NYC.
I had the exact same list, and the same thought process. I didn't realize Princeton and Yale were counted in NYC's CSA? If so, that tilts it toward NYC. Philly also has several elite liberal arts colleges. RDU wins on a per capita basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City