U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Kansas City
Austin 129 51.19%
Kansas City 123 48.81%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:23 PM

324 posts, read 198,606 times

Advertisements

Economy. Austin.
Traffic. Kansas City.
Nightlife. Austin.
Diversity. Tie.
Crime. Austin.
Climate. Austin.
Geography. Austin. Has the Texas Hill country next to it.
Architecture. Kansas City.
Urbanity. Austin.
Sports. Kansas City.
Food. Tie.
Culture. Tie.
Education. Austin.
COL. Kansas City.
Quality Of Life. Austin.
Overall. Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 02:07 AM

146 posts, read 101,291 times
I tried to stay out of this because I hate Austin like the plague.
It's growing like a sucking tick on a 100 LB dog.
It is truly a **** stain on the American landscape with Charlotte and Nashville not far behind.
It's the land of 1 chord basement bands and 2am drunk, puking douche bags.
If it wasn't the state capital of Texas it would still be "East Albuquerque."

Kansas City is a smak-dab-in-the-middle, beautiful city with fountains, boulevards and art-deco architecture.
It also has one of the most unique and interesting neighborhoods anywhere in the Plaza District.
KC grows at a very modest pace but has improved itself 100% of what it was in the 90's.
The low COL and high QOL make KC one of the most livable cities anywhere.

Just look at it.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...pslnkslbsl.jpg

Old 05-24-2017, 06:04 AM

3,927 posts, read 2,337,438 times
:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post
i tried to stay out of this because i hate austin like the plague.
It's growing like a sucking tick on a 100 lb dog.
It is truly a **** stain on the american landscape with charlotte and nashville not far behind.
If it wasn't the state capital of texas it would still be "east albuquerque."

kansas city is a smak-dab-in-the-middle, beautiful city with fountains, boulevards and art-deco architecture.
It also has one of the most unique and interesting neighborhoods anywhere in the plaza district.
Kc grows at a very modest pace but has improved itself 100% of what it was in the 90's.
The low col and high qol make kc one of the most livable cities anywhere.

Just look at it.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 05-24-2017 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: dp

Old 05-24-2017, 09:22 PM

482 posts, read 216,179 times
[*]Economy
Kansas City, only because the competition in Austin is so brutal. Austin gets the nod for tech jobs though.

[*]Traffic
Kansas City. Austin funnels everything onto 35. It can turn into an exercise in sitting.

[*]Nightlife
Austin.

[*]Diversity
Austin.

[*]Crime
Austin's rough areas came across to me as comparatively tame. Based on perception at least, I'd say Austin has the advantage.

[*]Climate
Ha! They both s*ck! Central Texas summers can really lean on a person. But for the most part Austin has one bad season, whereas two of them are pretty bad in KC. Austin.

[*]Geography
Texas Hill Country versus Heartland hills, forests and rivers. Hill Country is more unique. Austin.

[*]Architecture
Kansas City. It's architectural character is truly underestimated.

[*]Urbanity
Austin.

[*]Sports
UT sports versus the Chiefs, Royals and Jayhawks? I'll take the Longhorns. Austin!

[*]Food
Kansas City barbecue (delicious) versus Central Texas barbecue (very good) -- plus Tex Mex! Austin.

[*]Culture
Austin.

[*]Education
Austin. If we're talking on the university level, there's really no comparison here.

[*]COL
Definitely Kansas City.

[*]Quality Of Life
Austin.

[*]Overall
AUSTIN!

Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 PM

5,469 posts, read 5,774,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post
I tried to stay out of this because I hate Austin like the plague.
It's growing like a sucking tick on a 100 LB dog.
It is truly a **** stain on the American landscape with Charlotte and Nashville not far behind.
If it wasn't the state capital of Texas it would still be "East Albuquerque."

Kansas City is a smak-dab-in-the-middle, beautiful city with fountains, boulevards and art-deco architecture.
It also has one of the most unique and interesting neighborhoods anywhere in the Plaza District.
KC grows at a very modest pace but has improved itself 100% of what it was in the 90's.
The low COL and high QOL make KC one of the most livable cities anywhere.

Just look at it.
While I don't share your disdain of Austin, I would like to point out that the KC area saw a fairly massive spike in domestic in-migration between 2015-2016. The in-migration numbers were 6,693. That isn't a lot compared to Austin but it is a lot for KC. It's actually a 250% increase from the previous three years combined. I'm not sure if it's just a random spike but it's certainly a figure to pay attention to next year and beyond.

https://kceconomy.org/2017/03/24/kcs...trong-economy/

Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 PM

1,865 posts, read 997,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
[*]Economy
Kansas City, only because the competition in Austin is so brutal. Austin gets the nod for tech jobs though.

[*]Traffic
Kansas City. Austin funnels everything onto 35. It can turn into an exercise in sitting.

[*]Nightlife
Austin.

[*]Diversity
Austin.

[*]Crime
Austin's rough areas came across to me as comparatively tame. Based on perception at least, I'd say Austin has the advantage.

[*]Climate
Ha! They both s*ck! Central Texas summers can really lean on a person. But for the most part Austin has one bad season, whereas two of them are pretty bad in KC. Austin.

[*]Geography
Texas Hill Country versus Heartland hills, forests and rivers. Hill Country is more unique. Austin.

[*]Architecture
Kansas City. It's architectural character is truly underestimated.

[*]Urbanity
Austin.

[*]Sports
UT sports versus the Chiefs, Royals and Jayhawks? I'll take the Longhorns. Austin!

[*]Food
Kansas City barbecue (delicious) versus Central Texas barbecue (very good) -- plus Tex Mex! Austin.

[*]Culture
Austin.

[*]Education
Austin. If we're talking on the university level, there's really no comparison here.

[*]COL
Definitely Kansas City.

[*]Quality Of Life
Austin.

[*]Overall
AUSTIN!
I agree with most of this, except urbanity. How in the world is Austin more urban than Kansas City?

Old 05-24-2017, 10:32 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,086,993 times
Wow didn't expect KC to be ahead. It's currently crushing Indy in that other poll to. Guess I might be underestimating KC's popularity on these boards.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:36 AM

482 posts, read 216,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I agree with most of this, except urbanity. How in the world is Austin more urban than Kansas City?
Kansas City possibly looks more urban than Austin, but in the core I believe Austin has more energy, activity, pedestrians, etc. Now once we get just outside the core, yes Austin quickly begins to sprawl more than necessary. It's kind of a unique place to me in that it seems to have a number of large satellite towns rather than close-in suburbs.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:00 AM

3,927 posts, read 2,337,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Wow didn't expect KC to be ahead. It's currently crushing Indy in that other poll to. Guess I might be underestimating KC's popularity on these boards.
I think at one point, this poll was as lopsided, or even more lopsided than the Gary vs Miami beaches poll. Yep, Austin is not a C-D darling like some think.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:10 AM
JJG

12,895 posts, read 18,406,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
You didn't? I sure as hell did.

Austin is probably one of the most hated cities on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or