U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Kansas City
Austin 129 51.19%
Kansas City 123 48.81%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 AM

2,058 posts, read 1,086,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You didn't? I sure as hell did.

Austin is probably one of the most hated cities on this board.
I thought Indy, OKC and Memphis where pretty much the only 3 cities most people on CD actively hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 09:30 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Wow didn't expect KC to be ahead. It's currently crushing Indy in that other poll to. Guess I might be underestimating KC's popularity on these boards.
Then you have never been to KC. It's a better city in almost every way except having a large urban university in the city.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:03 AM
JJG

12,895 posts, read 18,406,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I thought Indy, OKC and Memphis where pretty much the only 3 cities most people on CD actively hate.
You haven't been here that long...

And if it's a Texas city, even Austin gets more crap than it deserves.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:31 AM

1,865 posts, read 997,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You haven't been here that long...

And if it's a Texas city, even Austin gets more crap than it deserves.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I think more recently there's been more negativity towards it but more often than not it's highly praised. Maybe you're finding that the constant barrage of "Seattle, Portland, Austin, etc." as the end all be all is receiving some backlash. I'm sure you can find an old thread or another site like this from 2005 with the same "Austin is the best, everyone should move there" posts. There are posters on here that will recommend Austin for people that want great public transportation and 4 seasons... I kid you not.

I mean can you honestly say that Austin is hated more than Houston and Dallas?

Side note: I voted for Austin on this one.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:45 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,230,657 times
Austin strikes me as a place that is growing so rapidly that its losing some of its charm.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:06 PM
JJG

12,895 posts, read 18,406,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post

I mean can you honestly say that Austin is hated more than Houston and Dallas?
...who said anything about it being hated more than Houston or Dallas?

Old 05-25-2017, 12:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 821,022 times
Not sure why people are surprised that Austin is losing. It goes against a lot of the CD mantras:

1. It's in Texas.
2. It's popular and not underrated.
3. It has sprawl.
4. It is car oriented.
5. It's in Texas.

KC and Austin are very similar. I give Austin the edge in music, food (TX BBQ > KC BBQ, there's no debate), and education. But most people will vote against Austin because it's popular and because KC isn't. Give it some time tho, because KC is under the radar now, it'll soon be just as over hyped as Austin & Nashville.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:35 PM
_OT

2,051 posts, read 1,293,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Not sure why people are surprised that Austin is losing. It goes against a lot of the CD mantras:

1. It's in Texas.
3. It has sprawl.
4. It is car oriented.
5. It's in Texas.

KC and Austin are very similar. I give Austin the edge in music, food (TX BBQ > KC BBQ, there's no debate), and education. But most people will vote against Austin because it's popular and because KC isn't. Give it some time tho, because KC is under the radar now, it'll soon be just as over hyped as Austin & Nashville.
Thing is, KC was a way more established city before Austin and Nashville, it already had it's "hype." KC is only under the radar because of it's location, and any further attention is just KC getting the right recognition it deserves.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:07 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post

1. It's in Texas.
3. It has sprawl.
4. It is car oriented.
5. It's in Texas.

Haha. Try KC.

1. It's in Kansas (at least most people think it's in Kansas) So it has to be ultra religious, boring, flat, treeless and it probably gets a least six tornadoes a week.
2. It's completely off the radar. Very few people have any idea what KC is remotely like. Hint. It's absolutely nothing like OKC.
3. It has sprawl.
4. It is car oriented.
5. It's in Kansas...

I don't think KC will ever be popular. I mean it's in Kansas. So that's impossible.

Did you ever think that people that have been to both cities are simply giving KC some credit here? Same with KC vs Indy.

KC is an established bigger urban city. Somebody said that Austin is more urban. They are on crack.

KC has pro sports, some nationally recognized museums, a fascination union station, amusement parks, a performing arts center that would be a national icon if it were in a coastal city, several unique and thriving urban entertainment districts and a lot more. Austin is a big college town. They honestly don't compare very well.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:09 PM
sub

500 posts, read 261,342 times
Most places I've ever come across in Texas seem really bad at zoning, planning, and building real communities. There also seems to be a lack of quality with no deference to logevity in what they build.
It is very business friendly and gets little snow.That's about it.
Austin isn't underrated, but one can easily make the case that it is insanely overrated.
Like some other midwestern towns, KC was built during a golden age of American city planning. Just as much attention was given to how things flow and fit together as to how it looked and the quality of life it could provide.
These forums only give places like KC a little of the attention they never would get otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or