U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Kansas City
Austin 148 51.39%
Kansas City 140 48.61%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:42 AM

22 posts, read 8,845 times

Advertisements

My question is why is St. Louis always demonized by its crime rate but not KC? KC has one of the top 10 homicide rates this year but I never hear about KC ever being dangerous like I do St. Louis or Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 08:07 AM
sub

535 posts, read 289,470 times
"Better weather" is very subjective. Weather is partly a reason I might would avoid Austin if all other things were equal.
Kansas City isn't much better, but it's certainly no worse.... in my opinion.
"Newer fresher" isn't always good if not done well. Texas is just too awkward, too cheap and too rushed in how it builds things. Obviously, some people don't see it, like it anyway, or would flat out disagree, but it's not my thing.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:42 AM

3,920 posts, read 1,903,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This...KC has just as much....just more spread out. KC in some ways feels more legacy and somewhat architecturally and culturally superior...but day to day, and especially weekend to weekend....Austin is simply wealthier, more educated, growing, with more music and entertainment and much better weather with beach proximity. Love it or hate it, these cities are popular now! Having UT-Texas in town is a huge advantage for Austin as no university in the urban core of KC can remotely compare.
Austin's is the flagship University of Texas campus.

There's only one university in the urban core of KC: it was founded in 1933 precisely because Kansas City didn't have a university and became a University of Missouri branch campus in 1961, the same year Mizzou opened a new campus in the St. Louis suburbs. UMKC is a local asset, but there is indeed no comparison between it and UT-Austin.

However: Lawrence, Kan., is a mere half-hour to the west. People shuttle between Kansas City and the home of the University of Kansas all the time, and KU's medical school is in Kansas City, Kan. Maybe not the same as the university being in KCK (and KCK would be better off if it were), but close enough in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
"Better weather" is very subjective. Weather is partly a reason I might would avoid Austin if all other things were equal.
Kansas City isn't much better, but it's certainly no worse.... in my opinion.
"Newer fresher" isn't always good if not done well. Texas is just too awkward, too cheap and too rushed in how it builds things. Obviously, some people don't see it, like it anyway, or would flat out disagree, but it's not my thing.
KC has a past that's quite visible. I don't know how visible Austin's is, though I hope to learn a little about that at a future Davis family reunion (they've been held there for the last four years running; I have yet to make it to one). But I sense it's not as valued by Austinites as Kansas City's is by Kansas Citians. Shoot, they've even come to embrace their inner Boss Tom Pendergast.

I like that sort of sense of place. Does Austin have it?

As for weather: Austin has hot summers. Kansas City has hot summers and cold winters, plus tornadoes in the spring. I happen to like four seasons, so that puts it ahead of Austin in that department. But winterphobic Americans seem not to share my preference.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:49 PM

425 posts, read 378,776 times
surprised it's so close. seems like everyone and their brother is talking about Austin these days. Kansas City is so rarely mentioned on the coast that frankly I wasn't even sure if it was a real place or just a style of barbecue

Old 11-06-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
surprised it's so close. seems like everyone and their brother is talking about Austin these days. Kansas City is so rarely mentioned on the coast that frankly I wasn't even sure if it was a real place or just a style of barbecue
Ba-DOOM!

Texas isn't "flyover country." Missouri and Kansas are in the middle of it.

You probably just haven't met any expat Kansas Citians. We all carry the place with us wherever we may live. Exhibit A: Calvin Trillin, essayist, author, reporter, longtime New Yorker contributor and forever Kansas Citian who, like me, hasn't lived there since his youth. I've long suspected that the reason Kansas City appears on that famous Saul Steinberg cover depicting a New Yorker's view of the country is because of Trillin.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:09 PM

1,074 posts, read 564,437 times
To say that I was surprised by the poll results is an understatement.

My vote goes to Austin.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
To say that I was surprised by the poll results is an understatement..
Been to Kansas City?

If you had, you might not be.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:24 AM

4,502 posts, read 3,530,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Been to Kansas City?

If you had, you might not be.
He probably has not.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:31 AM

17 posts, read 21,529 times
Love the second pic because it shows KC's two downtowns, with "the Plaza" in the foreground and the actual (first) Downtown in the background, with midtown (obviously) in between.

A lot of, if not most, cities don't have a major sort of second downtown like KC. Chicago (where I live) doesn't. Yes there are some bigger neighborhood hubs away from downtown, but not one that really rivals downtown like KC's Plaza does. You can't find a luxury, or even much in the way of basic hotels for that matter, above Division street...they finally built an actual bona fide hotel in Wrigleyville recently, but really that's about it (the historic Edgewater Beach Hotel, long torn down, notwithstanding).

It's one of those imponderables to think if KC had built the Plaza adjacent to downtown like Chicago built Michigan Ave adjacent to its, how the city would have developed so much differently and how much larger KC's downtown skyline would be now because of that synergy between the two, instead of the eventual hollowing out of KC's downtown because of the way it did go and howthe Plaza poached office seekers in the 80s. Or if Chicago had done what KC did and built Mich. Ave, and thus a second business and luxury sub market five miles from The Loop. Imagine Michigan Avenue and all that shopping and condos being where Uptown ended up being. KC is more like New York in that regard with its uptown and downtown being more like competitors. Just interesting.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:33 AM

6,620 posts, read 7,432,365 times
KC: The Plaza. Westport. River Market. Power and Light. Crown Plaza. Union Station. 18th and Vine. Hyde Park.

Kansas City is an organically grown legacy city with its own unique features. Austin has blandly sprawled like all the other sunbelt cities and has no character that matches KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or