U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Kansas City
Austin 157 52.16%
Kansas City 144 47.84%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:52 AM

20,806 posts, read 22,369,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingd View Post
Love the second pic because it shows KC's two downtowns, with "the Plaza" in the foreground and the actual (first) Downtown in the background, with midtown (obviously) in between.

A lot of, if not most, cities don't have a major sort of second downtown like KC. Chicago (where I live) doesn't. Yes there are some bigger neighborhood hubs away from downtown, but not one that really rivals downtown like KC's Plaza does. You can't find a luxury, or even much in the way of basic hotels for that matter, above Division street...they finally built an actual bona fide hotel in Wrigleyville recently, but really that's about it (the historic Edgewater Beach Hotel, long torn down, notwithstanding).

It's one of those imponderables to think if KC had built the Plaza adjacent to downtown like Chicago built Michigan Ave adjacent to its, how the city would have developed so much differently and how much larger KC's downtown skyline would be now because of that synergy between the two, instead of the eventual hollowing out of KC's downtown because of the way it did go and howthe Plaza poached office seekers in the 80s. Or if Chicago had done what KC did and built Mich. Ave, and thus a second business and luxury sub market five miles from The Loop. Imagine Michigan Avenue and all that shopping and condos being where Uptown ended up being. KC is more like New York in that regard with its uptown and downtown being more like competitors. Just interesting.
I guess the solution is to infill Midtown and connect the Plaza and downtown then which would be great. When’s that streetcar extension supposed to happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 10:06 AM
sub

552 posts, read 297,950 times
Kansas City's downtown was affected by suburbs like Overland Park much more than it was by the Plaza.
The Country Club Plaza at its location is actually quite complementary downtown in my opinion.
There really isn't much infill to be done unless we're looking for more highrises, which there are a few like Crown Center.
Extending the streetcar can only help the area become even more vibrant, but it's not sorely lacking in that arena.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:14 AM

1,555 posts, read 776,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Ba-DOOM!

Texas isn't "flyover country." Missouri and Kansas are in the middle of it.

You probably just haven't met any expat Kansas Citians. We all carry the place with us wherever we may live. Exhibit A: Calvin Trillin, essayist, author, reporter, longtime New Yorker contributor and forever Kansas Citian who, like me, hasn't lived there since his youth. I've long suspected that the reason Kansas City appears on that famous Saul Steinberg cover depicting a New Yorker's view of the country is because of Trillin.
Feeling a little superior, today? Texas is a large state, but IMO, no more desirable than Kansas or Missouri.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:05 PM

4,007 posts, read 1,947,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Feeling a little superior, today? Texas is a large state, but IMO, no more desirable than Kansas or Missouri.
Superior?

"Flyover country" is the part of the United States the people on the coasts ignore.

Besides having a coastline, Texas is also not part of that great undifferentiated interior that gets dismissed with that term.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:18 AM

10 posts, read 4,326 times
In an early morning announcement Thursday, Apple has picked Austin, Texas, to build a new $1 billion corporate campus that will add nearly 9,000 jobs.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 AM

86 posts, read 49,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTex1984 View Post
In an early morning announcement Thursday, Apple has picked Austin, Texas, to build a new $1 billion corporate campus that will add nearly 9,000 jobs.
I saw up to 20,000 jobs possible?

Old 12-14-2018, 10:10 AM
JJG

13,070 posts, read 18,688,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post

Two of the top 5 largest Metro Areas are in this state... that's leaving out Greater San Antonio, Austin/Round Rock, and the El Paso area, all fairly large with plenty more to offer on their own than several other states BY THEMSELVES.

This isn't me being an "arrogant Texan", it's just throwing out some facts. DFW alone has a higher GDP than several nations.

So I don't think we fall under "flyover" category...

Old 12-15-2018, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 421 times
KC will remain a favorite on CD due to the bias toward Texas & the sunbelt. Reality is that Austin is an economic powerhouse and KC has a nice History.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwoodone View Post
KC will remain a favorite on CD due to the bias toward Texas & the sunbelt. Reality is that Austin is an economic powerhouse and KC has a nice History.
bias against................

Old 12-19-2018, 12:02 AM

4,631 posts, read 4,639,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Austin also has horrible traffic and way overpriced housing. I'm sure many people prefer Austin weather, but I personally could not tolerate the heat in Texas. Also, I missed seasons.
This....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or