U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Kansas City
Austin 163 52.75%
Kansas City 146 47.25%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 06:39 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,189,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Yup! Believe it or not, I know several people that I work with that live in SA and work here in Austin. Even more that live in SA MSA and work in Austin. Although, it doesn't seem there are as many Austinites that commute to SA for work.

It is attractive because housing in SA is much cheaper and salaries are generally higher in Austn. I could only imagine the growth and inter-commute if there were a commuter rail between the two.

Why do you feel that only San Antonians Commute to Austin-San Marcos for work, and not vice-versa? Housing costs versus fuel costs and commute time? An inter-muncipal rail is already long past due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 08:24 PM

20,907 posts, read 22,497,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Why do you feel that only San Antonians Commute to Austin-San Marcos for work, and not vice-versa? Housing costs versus fuel costs and commute time? An inter-muncipal rail is already long past due.
Can you make that inter-municipal rail happen? I'll kick in a fiver at the very least and I don't even live in the area. Let me know!

Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,189,022 times
Stop harassing me!

Old 02-01-2019, 12:35 AM

1,198 posts, read 2,493,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Exactly that. It doesn't make sense to pay $400,000 to live in a home in Austin, (with higher taxes), and commute to San Antonio for work, lets just say, making $100,000.

It makes much more sense to pay $200,000 for a home in San Antonio and travel to Austin for work, making $100,000.

Austin being a better city than San Antonio, or having more to offer, is debatable and a personal preference from one person to the next, based on each individual's lifestyle. Therefore that cannot be a valid argument for people living in Austin and commuting to San Antonio for work.

But to get back on topic... I agree that KC has a lot of big city amenities that Austin does not and the rapid, almost uncontrolled growth Austin has experienced, has placed a major strain on infrastructure. So I understand the QOL argument for those who choose KC. More amenities with less traffic seems like a win-win. I will argue however, that Austin is quickly catching up with many large cities and is offering more and more to its residents year in and year out.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 648 times
Google signs lease for new 35 story office building in downtown Austin.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVO1984 View Post
Downtown Austin is on fire right now! KC not so much.

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

4,584 posts, read 3,623,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVO1984 View Post
Good

Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,000,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guspcb2019 View Post
Downtown Austin is on fire right now! KC not so much.
Austin is definitely the hotter city. No pun intended. But KC is doing very well. Who knows, with climate change KC could be the new Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or