Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin vs Kansas City
Austin 178 54.27%
Kansas City 150 45.73%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 2,844 times

Advertisements

Austin officially is the 27th MLS franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Who cares? They are two 100% completely independent cities and metro areas.

Why do people constantly try group Austin and San Antonio into one metro area?

Why not just make it the Austin-San Antonio-Houston metro area? Maybe throw in DFW too. Where does it end?
Probably because they are pretty physically close to each other and both are now booming so they're growing into each other. If there was a decent commuter rail transit between the two, then it'd almost certainly become part of the same metro at least on the CSA level though that's still probably a decade or four away.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:23 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Probably because they are pretty physically close to each other and both are now booming so they're growing into each other. If there was a decent commuter rail transit between the two, then it'd almost certainly become part of the same metro at least on the CSA level though that's still probably a decade or four away.
Yup! Believe it or not, I know several people that I work with that live in SA and work here in Austin. Even more that live in SA MSA and work in Austin. Although, it doesn't seem there are as many Austinites that commute to SA for work.

It is attractive because housing in SA is much cheaper and salaries are generally higher in Austn. I could only imagine the growth and inter-commute if there were a commuter rail between the two.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 3,283 times
Austin is growing at such a fast pace KC just can't compete.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:23 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guspcb2019 View Post
Should it?

Old 01-30-2019, 07:44 PM

5 posts, read 3,283 times
[quote=MarketStEl;54300894]Should it?[/QUOT It wants to but can't.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 2,844 times
The Kansas City Star is full of articles comparing KC to Austin.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:05 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guspcb2019 View Post
Is that a bad thing?

Kansas City is doing pretty well with domestic population growth. It’s a city in the Midwest that more Americans are moving to than leaving. It’s a manageable rate of growth that gives policy makers time to make informed decisions on things like infrastructure, etc.

I don’t get the obsession with the fake premise of explosive growth = better city. Unmanageable growth creates its own sets of problems, you know.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:10 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Is that a bad thing?

Kansas City is doing pretty well with domestic population growth. It’s a city in the Midwest that more Americans are moving to than leaving. It’s a manageable rate of growth that gives policy makers time to make informed decisions on things like infrastructure, etc.

I don’t get the obsession with the fake premise of explosive growth = better city. Unmanageable growth creates its own sets of problems, you know.

This is exactly what I meant when I asked the question, "Should it?"

Kansas City has been growing steadily if unspectacularly for several decades now. That has enabled the people who live there to enjoy a high quality of life at a reasonable cost of living in a city filled with many amenities other cities would kill for. (And a nightlife scene that's not half bad now, even if Austin's music scene far outpaces it.)

And they don't spend an eternity sitting in traffic to enjoy all this.

Seems to me like it's the "Goldilocks" option: not too hot, not too cold, but just right.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:18 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

This is exactly what I meant when I asked the question, "Should it?"

Kansas City has been growing steadily if unspectacularly for several decades now. That has enabled the people who live there to enjoy a high quality of life at a reasonable cost of living in a city filled with many amenities other cities would kill for. (And a nightlife scene that's not half bad now, even if Austin's music scene far outpaces it.)

And they don't spend an eternity sitting in traffic to enjoy all this.

Seems to me like it's the "Goldilocks" option: not too hot, not too cold, but just right.
You have said it perfectly. This is the main reason I miss KC. In almost every way, it's just about right. It's not perfect, it's not terrible, but for the most part, it's pretty good and that equals are solid quality of life.

KC has an incredible amount of amenities that cities like Austin can't match no matter how many new towers they build.

Austin is just okay to me. I like watching the city change and grow and it's been fun watching the city build a skyline overnight, but the city just does very little for me. KC just feels more like a legit and established big city. Austin to me is just an over-sized college town with terrible traffic and some nice riverfront parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City