Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best urban core
Boston 21 10.24%
Chicago 86 41.95%
DC 9 4.39%
Philadelphia 40 19.51%
San Francisco 17 8.29%
Toronto 32 15.61%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 06:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Depends on what you consider "core". SF has a much bigger downtown.

Why would Boston's core not include Cambridge?

Philly's core can be defined in a lot of ways, but I don't picture it bigger than SF's by any measure.
Like you said... depends what you include. However, Downtown San Francisco is not larger than Center City Philadelphia in square mileage.

Downtown San Francisco - 2.15 square miles
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g8...C4&usp=sharing

Center City Philadelphia - 3.16 square miles
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19P...Zk&usp=sharing

Extended Downtown San Francisco (adding South Beach, North Beach, Russian Hill, Fisherman's Wharf, etc.) - 3.95 square miles
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mV...C8&usp=sharing

Extended Downtown Philadelphia (adding University City) - 4.18 square miles
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q9...u8&usp=sharing

What would you consider "Core San Francisco?"

"Core Philadelphia" is over 7 square miles... maybe 10.

Like I said, Philadelphia's Downtown and Core is larger than San Francisco in square mileage, San Francisco just feels larger because it's more built up. If Philadelphia continues on this trajectory it's currently on, it definitely has the potential to feel larger than San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 06:52 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
What is the population of 'Core Philadelphia' which is 7 - 10 sq miles?

Old 05-27-2017, 07:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Most of Old Toronto is made up of Edwardian and Victorian architecture so I don't know where you walked in Old Toronto but I think you are confused
i was up by the University. Park Hyatt. Thats suburb territory in Philly.

I suppose We have different standards to we consider Urban.

Dont get me wrong Tronto is a Great city. In many aspects it blows Philly out of the water. Awesome downtown. Spectacular office district.

But I think Philadlephia sustained urban core tops it. And it may top Chicago as well.

Heres South Philly and then there is another 6 mile long scene like this in North Philly.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
i was up by the University. Park Hyatt. Thats suburb territory in Philly.
The area north of the DT core is less 'urban' if you will than east and west of it. I wouldn't exactly categorize the area around the Park hyatt as suburban. I think you are talking about the Park Hyatt on Avenue road? That is actually in Yorkville and actually in the video below. You consider this area suburban?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nPr9FIAd20

In any event if you didn't go to the nabe's far east and west of the core in Old Toronto you didn't experience the urban heart of the city you experienced the DT core.

Your pics are nice btw but I don't see them as really being more urban than Old Toronto. I think you just didn't really see the city and you are familiar with yours and not Old Toronto.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:26 PM

429 posts, read 479,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
The knock against San Francisco when compared to Philadelphia and Boston is that its public transportation is noticeably weaker (which is why Uber was created), its walkability suffers due to geography (aka those hills) and its urban core is condensed. So while it has a higher density in the immediate core, along with better vibrancy and shopping, it drops off outside of that. Philadelphia, even with its blight, maintains its urbanity over a much larger area, as does Boston with its surrounding municipalities. An argument can be made for all three, though I find them to be in the same tier, below Chicago and Toronto, and arguably above DC.
That's just false - if we're talking about city proper than SF is more consistently urban and dense than Boston or Philly.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You consider this area suburban?
Yes.

Anything with a front yard and driveways is suburban to me I saw a ton of that where I was at in Toronto.

We dont do driveways or front yards in Philadelphia. Truth be told in alot of spots we dont even do driveable streets. We just have different views of what constitutes urban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6-3dhhvqiY

Old 05-27-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Yes.

Anything with a front yard and driveways is suburban to me I saw a ton of that where I was at in Toronto.

We dont do driveways or front yards in Philadelphia. Truth be told in alot of spots we dont even do driveable streets. We just have different views of what constitutes urban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6-3dhhvqiY
Old Toronto's residential streets are just different bones. They are more leafy green and are set back more from the street than by the looks of Philadelphia. That said, most don't have driveways and just a small front yard. People park on the street. Make no mistake however that they are actually quite densely packed. Also the residential streets are never far from a more dense and very urban major arterial like Bloor, Ossington, Danforth, Roncesvalles, College, King Street West, Queen Street west etc. The urban form of Philly is just different but I wouldn't say more urban simply because the residential streets have more walk up 2 or 3 story rowhouse type development. In some cases it looks like these residential areas are quite far from major urban arterials. Old Toronto's residential housing is never far from major arterials with lots of restaurants and shops for example.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Your first video above. If I was not told what city it was? Asked to guess? I would have guessed Philly. Where it passes as Old Philly is:
- architecture of low-rise Row-buildings including architectural features like the rooftop
- trolley-line in the street
- power-lines visible and poles
- though a main street most likely it is as Philly with buildings to the sidewalks
Judging by a lot of comments in here people don't understand Old Toronto. Yes the residential streets are actually very green and not in your face two or three story contiguous walk up stuff you see in Philly. The houses are mainly Victorian and Georgian also Annex style housing. Toronto can be very deceptive in that you can be walking on a quiet residential street and than suddenly hit a major and bustling urban arterial packed with people, shops, resto's, bars and nightclubs

This is CLASSIC Old Toronto...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uihNiE9JhkM

Old 05-27-2017, 08:00 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
I delete my post as better I don't get involved. You know in population in that 800,000 area you utilized. There is no need to ask Philly's. I addressed the video's alone. The first could clearly be Philly and second too in old Victorian parts with larger lots in West Philly University City nabs.

I don't claims to know Old Toronto to compare more. But again, the first video of Old Toronto. Fits far more like to Old Philly then Old Chicago. Row-buildings, architecture and trolley-lines. Philly locals can debate further details if they want. I cannot and shouldn't.

There is a local firehouse bar calling me right now.....

Old 05-27-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I delete my post as better I don't get involved. You know in population in that 800,000 area you utilized. There is no need to ask Philly's. I addressed the video's alone. The first could clearly be Philly and second too in old Victorian parts with larger lots in West Philly University City nabs.

I don't claims to know Old Toronto to compare more. But again, the first video of Old Toronto. Fits far more like to Old Philly then Old Chicago. Row-buildings, architecture and trolley-lines. Philly locals can debate further details if they want. I cannot and shouldn't.

There is a local firehouse bar calling me right now.....
Old Toronto is pretty hard to pin down. Once you think you have it figured out it'll throw you a nabe or urban setting that will flip your assumptions on its head. I just find it amusing that people just think Toronto is a bunch of skyscrapers and glass condo's lol.. Whatever - enjoy your local firehouse bar and enjoy a great craft
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City