Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best urban core
Boston 21 10.24%
Chicago 86 41.95%
DC 9 4.39%
Philadelphia 40 19.51%
San Francisco 17 8.29%
Toronto 32 15.61%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 10:31 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloPete View Post
I think people unfamiliar with Toronto are either leaving it out of their ranking completely or are simply underestimating it by a lot. The downtown core competes only with Chicago in terms of # high rises and competes only with San Francisco in terms of density/diversity/vibrancy. I would say it's a sizeable step ahead of the other cities in all categories. That being said they ALL have impressive, vibrant downtown cores.
I think Toronto sometimes gets over sold as well as under sold. It has a massive number of high-rises, but there's still a substantial amount of area, high-rise or not, that is not really mixed-use even within just Old Toronto along with some pretty common stretches of detached single family homes with driveways. The good thing is that a lot of the times the commercial zones/corridors in Old Toronto aren't too far away, but that's not always the case.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-11-2017 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 10:34 PM

266 posts, read 276,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think Toronto sometimes gets over sold actually. It has a massive number of high-rises, but there's still a substantial amount of area, high-rise or not, that is not really mixed-use. The good thing is that a lot of the times the commercial zones/corridors aren't too far away, but that's not always the case.
It is always the case in the core. The east-west retail streets are 1/3 mile apart, which means you're never more than 800 feet or so from the nearest east-west retail street. And that's not even counting the north-south retail streets like Yonge and Spadina.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:26 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Philadelphia does obviously consist of much more than what that guy said. Walnut/Chestnut/Market/ "a few blocks in Chinatown"/and near Jims on South Street consists of where they drop off the tourists and where actual Philadelphians never go.

The other cities have much more upscale shopping. I didn't think that's what we were judging though.
Absolutely, the other cities don't have KOP to compete with so close to the city. Unfortunately for Philly, Center City plays second fiddle to KOP. But then again, I couldn't care less about upscale shopping.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:33 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
I think Toronto sometimes gets over sold as well as under sold. It has a massive number of high-rises, but there's still a substantial amount of area, high-rise or not, that is not really mixed-use even within just Old Toronto along with some pretty common stretches of detached single family homes with driveways.
Having lived in Toronto for 3 years, I'd say that's a pretty accurate statement. There's a fair number detached or semi-detached duplexes in and around Toronto's core, though they are disappearing rather rapidly and being replaced by midrise commercial/residential housing or former single family homes being converted into duplexes or triplexes to save space.

I'd say this has more to do with Toronto's historic development patterns - up until the 1980s, Toronto was simply a regional center, largely suburban, and was overshadowed by Montreal for more than a century. Toronto's real urban renaissance only started in the late 80s when it took on an increasing role as the center of Canada's finance, commerce, anglophone culture and arts, and more recently as the country's tech and startup hub.

Below is a pretty typical shot of the type of low-rise, semi-detached duplexes in and around the Toronto's core.

www.thestar.com/content

Because of the desirability of their locations, many duplex neighborhoods would be surrounded by newer highrise condos, with much less privacy but at least a foot hold in a convenient location. This is a pretty typical midrise condo development that's increasingly taking over former detached/semi-detached neighborhoods:

http://lp.tridel.com

Quote:
The good thing is that a lot of the times the commercial zones/corridors in Old Toronto aren't too far away, but that's not always the case.
Also quite accurate. As long as one lives near a major commercial corridor like Yonge, Danforth, Bay, Bloor, Eglinton, St. Clair etc., you'd be almost guaranteed a medium to high vibrancy environment, along with access to rapid transit (subway) or some form of 24-hour LRT or streetcar service. This applies to nearly all neighborhoods in and around Toronto's downtown and midtown, as well as the eastern and western shoulders of downtown (King, Queen, Adelaide, Dundas streets). Below is Toronto's current streetcar/LRT network (11 lines), which covers almost the entire Downtown and Midtown cores as well as the east and west ends:

Toronto Maps | Canada | Maps of Toronto

Old 06-12-2017, 04:03 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Absolutely, the other cities don't have KOP to compete with so close to the city. Unfortunately for Philly, Center City plays second fiddle to KOP. But then again, I couldn't care less about upscale shopping.
Actually most if not all the other cities have big suburban malls that compete for stores.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:06 PM

306 posts, read 479,616 times
Having been to all of these cities many times, they all have urban area's. I see people talking about downtowns. In the U.S. there are two "downtowns." New York City is in a class by itself and then after that Chicago is in a lower tier, but a class by itself in regards to the loop, Mich Ave, Museums, food, etc, esp spring - fall.

All the other cities are distinct in that San Fran has the biggest Chinatown, Philly has very dirty/urban row home streets(some people on these forums like that), but also Center city is nice, but is small.

San Fran and Boston are very similar in size, density, hilliness.

DC is just different do to all the low rise gov buildings.
Toronto is nice and has the best downtown in canada.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:07 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Having lived in Toronto for 3 years, I'd say that's a pretty accurate statement. There's a fair number detached or semi-detached duplexes in and around Toronto's core, though they are disappearing rather rapidly and being replaced by midrise commercial/residential housing or former single family homes being converted into duplexes or triplexes to save space.

I'd say this has more to do with Toronto's historic development patterns - up until the 1980s, Toronto was simply a regional center, largely suburban, and was overshadowed by Montreal for more than a century. Toronto's real urban renaissance only started in the late 80s when it took on an increasing role as the center of Canada's finance, commerce, anglophone culture and arts, and more recently as the country's tech and startup hub.

Below is a pretty typical shot of the type of low-rise, semi-detached duplexes in and around the Toronto's core

www.thestar.com/content

Because of the desirability of their locations, many duplex neighborhoods would be surrounded by newer highrise condos, with much less privacy but at least a foot hold in a convenient location. This is a pretty typical midrise condo development that's increasingly taking over former detached/semi-detached neighborhoods:

http://lp.tridel.com

Also quite accurate. As long as one lives near a major commercial corridor like Yonge, Danforth, Bay, Bloor, Eglinton, St. Clair etc., you'd be almost guaranteed a medium to high vibrancy environment, along with access to rapid transit (subway) or some form of 24-hour LRT or streetcar service. This applies to nearly all neighborhoods in and around Toronto's downtown and midtown, as well as the eastern and western shoulders of downtown (King, Queen, Adelaide, Dundas streets). Below is Toronto's current streetcar/LRT network (11 lines), which covers almost the entire Downtown and Midtown cores as well as the east and west ends:

Toronto Maps | Canada | Maps of Toronto
Montréal was DESTINED to be Canada's Première city till the mid 70s Separatist Movement had Anglo Canada move the Banking in armored Brink's trucks to Toronto and more. Toronto had a silver or golden spoon ever since. With 50+ % immigrants ND rising to grow the city. Canada's immigration policy ONLY WANTS the PRFESSIONLS and EDUCATED ONES. It is HGHLY SELECTIVE.

While US cites went through their WORST DECLINES in the 70s with NYC bankrupt loosing a million in population by the early 80s. Toronto was on the rise from Montréal's losses ALL haring its way. Immigration has it boast its growth till today.

This is not demeaning just fact.

I was surprised to see trash cans in FRONTS in one picture? Not merely out for pick-up day. I knew some Philly neighborhood blocks the front yards were as back yards.

Since we are NOW DOING NEIGHORHOODS AROUND THE CORES.....
New INFILL in CHICAGO neighborhoods I've seen. Just OUTSIDE THE CORE. But very near.....

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9053...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9058...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9412...7i13312!8i6656

More high end

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9208...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9208...7i13312!8i6656

Old 06-12-2017, 06:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Actually most if not all the other cities have big suburban malls that compete for stores.
KOP is not your average Suburban mall. It's quite different.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:30 PM

115 posts, read 96,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Having been to all of these cities many times, they all have urban area's. I see people talking about downtowns. In the U.S. there are two "downtowns." New York City is in a class by itself and then after that Chicago is in a lower tier, but a class by itself in regards to the loop, Mich Ave, Museums, food, etc, esp spring - fall.

All the other cities are distinct in that San Fran has the biggest Chinatown, Philly has very dirty/urban row home streets(some people on these forums like that), but also Center city is nice, but is small.

San Fran and Boston are very similar in size, density, hilliness.

DC is just different do to all the low rise gov buildings.
Toronto is nice and has the best downtown in canada.

No, we like grit, which is not dirty. Seems to me you don't understand the difference. You're also probably not aware that those areas of Philadelphia are quite safe. It's similar to Chicago and Brooklyn. Hell, San Francisco as well.

In my experiences, San Francisco and Paris were dirtier than Philadelphia, but "romanticism", etc.

Center City is also not small and is a gorgeous CBD.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:52 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
KOP is not your average Suburban mall. It's quite different.
Neither is Tyson's Corner Center and the Tyson's Galleria across the street in the DC area. Which I think is closer to DTDC than KOP is to Philadelphia. So that's really nothing unique to Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City