Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best urban core
Boston 21 10.24%
Chicago 86 41.95%
DC 9 4.39%
Philadelphia 40 19.51%
San Francisco 17 8.29%
Toronto 32 15.61%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 06:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

^ It's ridiculous how little you actually know about Chicago. We're talking about core right?Boston nightlife ahead of Chicago? ROFL. Behind Boston in Shopping? Christ...even the jobs thing - Chicago has the biggest downtown area employment wise of anywhere outside of NYC. Chicago last in walkability? You have got to be kidding me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 07:04 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
Number of residents - Chicago, DC, SF, Boston, Philly, Toronto
I'm pretty sure that Toronto's urban core has the highest residential population and the highest residential density.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:18 PM

615 posts, read 599,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ It's ridiculous how little you actually know about Chicago. We're talking about core right?Boston nightlife ahead of Chicago? ROFL. Behind Boston in Shopping? Christ...even the jobs thing - Chicago has the biggest downtown area employment wise of anywhere outside of NYC. Chicago last in walkability? You have got to be kidding me.
SF with the hills should be last in walkability.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:49 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
Very good comparison!!!!

Vibrancy - SF, Boston, Toronto, DC, Philly, Chicago
Shopping - SF, Boston (more/better malls), DC, Chicago, Philly (all of these five are very close), Toronto (behind because it’s in Canada - most Canadians just ship many of their things to American friends/family)
Number of residents - Chicago, DC, SF, Boston, Philly, Toronto
Number of jobs - SF, Toronto, Boston, DC, Philly, Chicago
Amentities and attractions - SF, Chicago, DC, Toronto, Boston, Philly
Walkability - SF, Boston, Philly, Toronto, DC, Chicago
Public transportation - Boston, Philly, Chicago, DC, Toronto, SF
Nightlife - SF, Toronto, Philly, Boston, DC, Chicago
Feel free to add anything additional

Suburbs (they are all nice, though):
Philly
Boston
DC
SF
Toronto
Chicago

Future Prosperity:
Toronto
SF
Boston
DC
Philly
Chicago
Lol...I'll just assume you're very young, and haven't traveled much.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:09 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
They're incorrect on shopping and nightlife, for sure. Chicagos untouchable on this list, with Toronto as second respectively.

But jobs/economy and walkability can definitely be debated. Chicagos CORE is in fact very walkable, but some of the neighborhoods certainly aren't. They're like suburbs. But for the sake of this conversation since we're talking cores, I definitely wouldnt put Chicago last. Jobs/Economy? Eehhh if it's not last, it's certainly flirting with Philadelphia for the spot. Not a knock on Chi/Philadelphia, but it's up against a few of the strongest economies in NA right now. Jobs p/capita, p/capita GDP, income levels, booming industries, drawing talent, public sector jobs, etc.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:21 PM

^ Are we talking about core as in downtown type of area core or are we talking about basically an entire city? Because if you are going to talk about core as a downtown type of area, then I'm sorry but Chicago is not nearer to the end on that at all.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:30 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Ya know I think ..... Totontonians (or those who boast for it). Seem to be super-obsessed with boasting Bigger, More and Better in always using Chicago as its city to dig into .... even if it isn't vs Chicago in tat thread. Of course, here it is. But still you name it .... they will interject Toronto has a Bigger Core, more people, more dense, more urban, more ...... Keeps sounding like a obsession to boast it is superior ....

I hink I should pot in this below thread..... Toronto obsessed with Chicago ..... but as the thread says but the other city doesn't care whatsoever. I know Chicagoans really don't.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ther-city.html

Urban CORES is subjective in area covered and size. Toronto can do a 7+sq/miles area and insist its their Core and downtown. The SIZE thing. Well other cities can also. Seems urban Core includes neighborhoods where most work in the main business district. That clearly can gain Chicago its highest density neighborhoods as its Urban Core also. Part of Toronto's is Old Toronto areas of row-homes also.... seems they forget that .....

Chicago has the office space to it can boast with a high live-in population it built from little. The city's web sight list its CBD border (Central Business District that is minimum its Downtown. But a Core extends further. Its high-rise living of its Gold Coast isn't included in its CBC by the city. Its clearly though.... part of its continuous -- Urban Core and more.

Still problem is there still is no standard borders for Urban Core.... so boasting more clearly is subjective and perhaps using merely the same sq/miles size? Can comparisons then in population be use.

Streetcars they boast of uniqueness? Even Philly has them. They like to use it as adds grit.... well the overhead wires are messy. Another is cleanliness .... especially here using Urban Cores. NO ONE claims Chicago's core is not super clean. Sorry Toronto .... there is no superiority in that one. .

Torontonian's and from other areas of Canada.... are looking to be more seen as a NYC likeness in Canada's main city and in high-rise living (they just know they are not even close yet to its density. So they use Chicago most. Toronto even zones for only high-rises that only can be built.... but yes then it can boast building many new high-rises and its super-high professional immigrants that grow the city. It even built a mock Times Square.... so really it should just compare itself to NYC over a obsession to claim beating Chicago as its main Boast on C-D at least. In all things it clearly does not.

Then you even have them boast a Constant Urban form over Chicago again. That gap has closed considerably. Areas Chicago had warehousing .... became the perfect re-purpose for Loft living. Some former industrial areas are now cleared for new tech developments to mixed Residential Urban living. What some claimed was a curse of disconnect ..... became a asset to become part of its Urban Core.

The short video shows some of the Older DENSE areas near downtown and areas all around it.
Shows Chicago's Built Old Classic Urban built in winter and scenes toward the downtown and Gold Coast lakefront and park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FwM6XoSgLI

Clearly, built Urbanity is not merely similar looking high-rises newly built for a fast growing city that says you need to build a high-rise over other urban form as is Toronto's call vs a Chicago that still welcomes homes and 3-5 family infill also and Town-housing developments in newly built areas even.

Last edited by DavePa; 01-25-2018 at 09:14 PM..

Old 01-25-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
^ Are we talking about core as in downtown type of area core or are we talking about basically an entire city? Because if you are going to talk about core as a downtown type of area, then I'm sorry but Chicago is not nearer to the end on that at all.
What part are referring to? Jobs or walkability?

I specified that I was talking core. And went on to say that it'd be a different story if we were talking entire cities. Which is why it would not be near the last in walkability.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
What part are referring to? Jobs or walkability?

I specified that I was talking core. Which is why it would not be near the last in walkability.
Different people have different definitions of what a "core" is - so if you are talking about something like the downtown area, then I wouldn't agree considering there's nearly 550,000 private sector jobs in downtown Chicago alone (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...rough-downtown). That is the highest of any time since 1990, including 2000 when the city had 200K more people total.

This list (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed) is a handful of years old from 2010, but as far as CBD employment goes, you can see even back then:
1. New York: 1,981,305 people
2. Chicago: 500,450 people
3. Washington DC: 379,215 people
4. San Francisco: 297,420 people
5. Boston: 242,900 people
6. Philadelphia: 239,625
7. Atlanta: 172,975 people
8. Houston: 169,495 people
9. Seattle: 163,830 people
10. Los Angeles: 136,585 people

And also if you can read the first link above, the Chicago employment grew by 13% since this study was done. Also I found a source from Toronto.ca stating nearly 450K jobs downtown - so given DC's growth, it's probably around DC today - not sure of the ordering, but still probably #3 and #4 rank.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 06:26 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Different people have different definitions of what a "core" is - so if you are talking about something like the downtown area, then I wouldn't agree considering there's nearly 550,000 private sector jobs in downtown Chicago alone (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...rough-downtown). That is the highest of any time since 1990, including 2000 when the city had 200K more people total.

This list (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed) is a handful of years old from 2010, but as far as CBD employment goes, you can see even back then:
1. New York: 1,981,305 people
2. Chicago: 500,450 people
3. Washington DC: 379,215 people
4. San Francisco: 297,420 people
5. Boston: 242,900 people
6. Philadelphia: 239,625
7. Atlanta: 172,975 people
8. Houston: 169,495 people
9. Seattle: 163,830 people
10. Los Angeles: 136,585 people

And also if you can read the first link above, the Chicago employment grew by 13% since this study was done.
sorry, edit here.

Not sure what this has to do with jobs or economy. If you're telling us Chicago's core is bigger than, say, San Francisco, I'd agree. That's about all I get out of this list.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-citie...#main-findings

This link seems to rank job openings and YoY market growth as indicators for local jobs/economy. This is probably more useful for the sake of this argument. As you'll see, I think this confirms my Chi/Phila guess. Not sure this even takes into consideration public sector, either.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 06:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City