Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best urban core
Boston 21 10.24%
Chicago 86 41.95%
DC 9 4.39%
Philadelphia 40 19.51%
San Francisco 17 8.29%
Toronto 32 15.61%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:28 PM

313 posts, read 336,836 times

Advertisements

An additional 1 million ft.^2 of retail space to center city Philly .
http://img04.en25.com/Web/JLLAmerica..._source=Eloqua
http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/0...owth-new-york/
http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion...ast_Coast.html

Last edited by kingtutaaa; 05-26-2017 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 05:39 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Not sure if it's for the same reasons though, Toronto's skyscrapers follow the subway route along Yonge, which is perpendicular to the waterfront.
I basically said that in my post minus the subway basically word for word but izz ok

Old 05-27-2017, 07:13 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I generally defend and boast for Chicago:
That is well known but I like the honesty here lol... Aside from some nagging issues it really is a great city to defend and boast for really. I am a repeat visitor not just because of friends there but because I really do enjoy the city and its attributes. Also, be careful because if you come up here in certain ways a certain place might grab you in ways you wouldn't expect

Old 05-27-2017, 10:48 AM

429 posts, read 479,603 times
The US East Coast bias of this board is shining brightly here. Objectively based on the criteria San Francisco should be right there with Chicago and well above Philly and Boston. Toronto is also way low.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:31 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
The US East Coast bias of this board is shining brightly here. Objectively based on the criteria San Francisco should be right there with Chicago and well above Philly and Boston. Toronto is also way low.
San Francisco is not right there with Chicago... Chicago's urban core is much, much larger. San Francisco is much closer to Philly and Boston. Although, I agree with you that SF is above these two, although really not by much.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:45 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I've visited all but DC fairly recently. SF's core seems much larger and busier than Boston's or Philly's. But all three are fantastic in quality terms.

Toronto is starting to challenge Chicago for largest core. More housing, less office.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:50 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
San Francisco is not right there with Chicago... Chicago's urban core is much, much larger. San Francisco is much closer to Philly and Boston. Although, I agree with you that SF is above these two, although really not by much.
The knock against San Francisco when compared to Philadelphia and Boston is that its public transportation is noticeably weaker (which is why Uber was created), its walkability suffers due to geography (aka those hills) and its urban core is condensed. So while it has a higher density in the immediate core, along with better vibrancy and shopping, it drops off outside of that. Philadelphia, even with its blight, maintains its urbanity over a much larger area, as does Boston with its surrounding municipalities. An argument can be made for all three, though I find them to be in the same tier, below Chicago and Toronto, and arguably above DC.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
The knock against San Francisco when compared to Philadelphia and Boston is that its public transportation is noticeably weaker (which is why Uber was created), its walkability suffers due to geography (aka those hills) and its urban core is condensed. So while it has a higher density in the immediate core, along with better vibrancy and shopping, it drops off outside of that. Philadelphia, even with its blight, maintains its urbanity over a much larger area, as does Boston with its surrounding municipalities. An argument can be made for all three, though I find them to be in the same tier, below Chicago and Toronto, and arguably above DC.
Agree 100%

Although, every year, Philadelphia's vibrant urban core expands outward farther as more neighborhoods change and gentrify.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:17 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,910 times
Seattle and Boston [Boston + Cambridge] are kicking far above their weight. Seattle is off the charts, of course.... but when Boston construction matures in 3-6 years, you all are gonna shard yourselves on their astonishing new reaches in urban density, especially when you factor in the college students. Boston will be topping 21,000 [residents + students] / sq mile as the Walsh machine pushes toward it's third term running Boston.

Sadly all over the urban core, 30 story highrise proposals are getting knocked down to 20~25 stories, where Seattle is going 30, 35 and 40 story residential, with a few going well-higher still.

Yes, Boston, is very much stuck on the old ways.

Still waiting for anyone outside of Boston to dare count the sq ft on this list, all serviced existing and new public transit.

Just what will 80~90M sq ft of office and residential look like when the build out matures?

Development Map and Chart - Page 7 - archBOSTON.org

Old 05-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I've visited all but DC fairly recently. SF's core seems much larger and busier than Boston's or Philly's. But all three are fantastic in quality terms.

Toronto is starting to challenge Chicago for largest core. More housing, less office.
SF's core seems much larger because it has more highrises... that's really it. Philadelphia's core is actually that largest out of the three square mileage wise, but has less highrises than SF.

Boston's "core" Downtown and surrounding neighborhoods is actually the smallest of the three, but feels much larger once you add in Cambridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City